“Gorgeous Farm, People, and Horses!” 5 of 5 stars

San Rafael Floralia Frente al Mirador del Rio, Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica
Website
Improve this listing
More attraction details
Owner description: Natural horsemanship equestrian center, offering recreational trail riding, natural horsemanship sessions, lessons in natural dressage and jumping . Spend your days in a lush valley surrounded by majestic mountain views, where you may choose to spend time improving your skills and techniques with riding lessons, trail ride through the beautiful rural countryside or combine your time between the two. Vacation packages are available. day trips are welcome. We are located about one hour from San Jose in the tropical mountains of Puriscal Costa Rica. We have healthy beautiful horses and endless mountain trails.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Gorgeous Farm, People, and Horses!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Traveling to Establo San Rafael was amazing. To this day, it remains my favorite trip of all time. The farm is exceptionally beautiful, which makes living and riding there almost majestic.

Brenda, the owner of the farm, has a special pack of horses that are each unique. For this reason, she can accommodate all levels and styles of riding. I would recommend her trips to anyone.

Brenda is not only one of the kindest people I have come across, but also one of the most knowledgeable. She is a phenomenal horse lady- with tons of experience across many types of riding, a special teaching ability, and a natural way with horses. I learned so much from her during my stay- and I am an advanced rider who has a background in competitive horseback riding. Needless to say, everyone who wants to learn from her will succeed- and will have a fantastic time doing it!

The experience Establo San Rafael offers is like no other. I won't expect to find anywhere like this again...and I very much hope to return one day.

Visited May 2012

Malmo, Sweden
“Establo San Rafael”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Activity experience:
I was here as a volunteer and got to go on a lot of horse trips with Brenda. She is a really good teacher and a lot of fun. She sees to the individual and adapts the lessons after what kind of person or group she teaches. All of her horses are great and have their own character; some are just really safe and sweet and others have a bit more temper. Just talk to Brenda if you have any preferences, she knows her horses!

The place is really beautiful for riding, and I can recommend to take a trip around the farm, or maybe to ride to the waterfalls and take a whole day trip. It's amazingly beautiful and really nice to just relax in the nature. If Brenda or her sister makes Banana bread for the trip, you are a lucky person! It's the best. Just sayin.

This is a great place for both families, couples or if you are just travelling by yourself. You feel safe around Brenda and she knows every little thing about the farm and the horses. She is also great with kids and has a lot of experience of teaching.

Just go here, it's worth every cent!

Volunteer experience:
This was one of my first so called "work-away experience" and before I took off to Costa Rica I was really nervous what kind of place I would come to. Fortunately my worries didn't last long.
I was picked up at the airport by Abel. Afterwards I met up with the family who gave me a really nice welcome. I got my own room and got time to set up my things and just relax after the trip; I felt quite home immediately.

I was introduced to the horses that were handled with care, it was an amazing sight to see how free these horses are and how the connection between Brenda and her horses is so stable and trustful. All of the horses had their characters and during my time at the farm I got to ride and learn a lot how to handle a horse, it was a much more deeper knowledge than my other riding lessons in Sweden.

My work at the farm as a work-awayer was to give math lessons to Brenda's son Charlie. It was also an incredible job! Charlie is really funny and great and so is Cameron, his sister. The whole family is just amazing! I spent a couple of weeks at the farm before I had to leave, but it was the best weeks I've spent volunteering.
Right next to the farm Brendas sister and her husband lives and owns their own farm. I got to meet everyone and felt like a part of their family, even though I just spent a couple of weeks there. Needless to say, I missed them really much when I got home and I still miss them.

This is a great place for any volunteer. Other volunteers also were there at the same time as I was, and they were great too. You never feel alone at the ranch and you get a really good oppurtunity for self-development. You also get a lot of personal time if you need it, and Brenda is easy to hang out with and talk with.

Overall, I can recommend this place for anyone, whatever you are searching for there is something to gather from Establo San Rafael. I really hope to visit them again because I feel nothing but love for the family.
Go here, have fun and find something more than what you would find at home.

Visited January 2012
puriscal costa rica
“Beautiful horsevacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2011

Establo san rafael is a beautiful place where you can get the chance to improve your riding skills even if you've never been on a horse before or if you're a bit more experienced. You stay in small cabinas that has their own bathroom and a soft bed. The owner Brenda makes a simple, but good, breakfast that is included. What I liked with this place is that they're all fluent in the english language, which made it easy for me that do not speak spanish.

Brenda's husband can pick you up from the airport SJO for a fee, but you can also take the bus here quite easily for a couple of dollars and they pick you up at the busstop.
The feeling of this place is really relaxed and the family is awesome - and I'm not just talking about the nice people in it, but also all the cats, dogs, horses, birds and so on.. Great way to see the countryside of costa rica!

Visited March 2011

Travelers who viewed Establo San Rafael Natural Horsemanship Equestrian Center also viewed

Santiago de Puriscal, Province of San Jose

Been to Establo San Rafael Natural Horsemanship Equestrian Center? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Establo San Rafael Natural Horsemanship Equestrian Center, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.