“We'll be back for more in a few weeks!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Las Alturas de Puriscal

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Santiago de Puriscal
Las Alturas de Puriscal
You added Las Alturas de Puriscal to your Saves list
500m O. de la Iglesia de San Juan | Puriscal, Santiago de Puriscal, Costa Rica   |
Orlando, Florida
“We'll be back for more in a few weeks!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We have stayed at 'Las Altures de Puriscal' several times, as recently as August 2012, and can highly recommend it. The fresh air, country atmosphere and laid back lifestyle are invigorating, not to mention the views, which are breathtaking. Patsy and Bob are gracious, knowledgeable hosts, very giving with their time and fun to be with. We'll be going back for an extended stay in a few weeks and are very much looking forward to it. And by the way.......great food too!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Turrialba, Cartago, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Las Alturas is set in the beautiful hillsides outside of Puriscal and is the ideal destination if you're looking to relax surrounded by the true beauty of Costa Rica, but away from the masses that flood the Pacific beaches and cloudforest ziplines.

Bob and Patsy are ideal hosts- generous and a lot of fun to be around! One highlight of any stay at Las Alturas is definitely Bob's coffee- which he picks himself from the acres of coffee plants they own. He then processes and hand roasts it in tiny batches on custom machines made by his son in law (it's worth it if you can get him to show you how he does it! Truly one of a kind and fascinating for anyone who likes tinkering!) Drinking a mug of Bob's coffee on the open veranda enjoying the afternoon breeze and sweeping green vistas reminds you how good the simple stuff can be.

You also can't leave Las Alturas without a massage from Patsy. I've had massages from dance therapy professionals (priced at three times those of Patsy's) and they were no where near as rejuvenating. I left after an hour feeling not relaxed, but like I had actually worked out some of those knots of tension I was carrying all over my body.

The final "don't miss" of a stay at Las Alturas is a natural horsemanship ride with the resident horse whisperer, Isa. I'm a comfortable rider, but had never ridden in any 'natural' style. Isa gave excellent explanations of not only how to ride in an effective natural way, but also why the methods were developed. We went on two great rides, one through the local streets to a typical Tico restaurant for the plate of the day and a cold beer, another to a river with a waterfall and swimming hole.

A stay at Las Alturas brings together the best comfort of a charming inn and the natural jewels Costa Rica has to offer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband our two Kids ( 7 and 11) and I spent Christmas week on Bob's and Patsy's farm.
The farm is a dream for families that enjoy animals ( cows, pigs, dogs, cats and of course horses) mountain views, pool, horse back riding and all kinds of farming activities.
We had two rooms connected by the bathroom. The perfect setting for a family. The rooms are super clean and looked after daily. Patsy's food is great and we enjoyed every meal. The Breakfast was my favored, coffee grown on the farm, juice pressed from their own oranges and pineapples and the milk still warm so fresh.
My kids and I enjoy horseback riding and loved the way we can interact with the horses here. You can watch the horses grassing by the pool and take trail rides on or off the farm. The horses are lovely and being trained the natural way. Isa is the trainer and she did a great job with our kids, our daughter could not get enough of playing with the horses and doing long trail rides with breaks on the river for swimming with or with out the horses. Our Son loved helping Bob with all kinds of tasks on the farm and fishing. My husband and I loved watching it all from the porch that over looks a good part of the farm and the mountains. Bob and Patsy are the most gracious hosts. Their entire team is just great to be around. We will be back in April and can't wait.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
JENSEN BEACH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently was in Costa Rica to finish up some dental work in Escazu. With 3 days off from the Dentist I decided to take a trip "to the country" and do some horseback riding. Luckily I came across a posting for Las Alturas B&B outside of Puriscal. A scenic and easy direct bus from San Jose delivered me to the quaint town of Puriscal. From there a phone call to Patsy was all it took for Bob to arrive and whisk me off to their lovely place outside of town! I was pleasantly suprised by the lodgings and my huge and very clean room with private bath and view over the pastures and hills. After a quick rest and snack I set about a walk thru pastures, across streams and found the serenity that I had read about, so close to the bustling city. Horses, cows, pigs and dogs were scattered about the rambling property. I did not get a chance to go in the nice swimming pool as some locals were enjoying a bbq and I did not wish to disturb them. Patsy introduced me to some of the horses and I was really happy to learn that the horses are right on the property and rides originate and end at the B&B. I mistakenly thought that we had to go to another finca for the riding. After some relaxing time on the lovely porch, with a cold beverage, Patsy served an excellent evening meal. Farm fresh really does taste better and I'm still talking about the delicious salad with homemade dressing! I enjoyed chatting with she and Bob for a couple of hours. As another Guest noted, they definitely have strong Political opinions. I found no fault with this and believe if I had, it would have been simple to change the subject to Costa Rica, farming, weather or any other topic. There is also ample room to excuse oneself and find a quiet place to read or just relax with the mountain scenery! I was up early and Bob had graciously shown me how to brew a fresh cup of coffee at his "coffee station"! WOW this is not your typical cup of coffee. Grown and roasted right there it was delicious and the fresh (delivered from on site cows daily) milk was outstanding. I enjoyed watching the finca come alive sitting out on the expansive porch joined by the house cats and a couple of horses grazing quietly while hummingbirds buzzed all around. Breakfast was followed by a delightful ride in the nearby mountains. Well trained and sure footed horses took us high up a track with expansive views all around. We enjoyed a break by a stream/river and small waterfall. I had really hoped the rainy season would not prevent horseback riding and it did not. We were blessed with a sunny and mild afternoon for our ride. Back at Las Alturas Patsy made a delightful frappe and we relaxed on the patio (again). Sunday afternoon finds several of Bob and Patsy's expat friends stopping by for cocktails and enjoying the end of the weekend. Once darkness fell I was invited to join this fun group at a soda high up on the mountain for dinner. A light rain was falling and we were shrouded in mist as we enjoyed a typical Costa Rican meal that was very tasty! Early to bed after a very nice day. Monday morning came and after a short walk and nice breakfast (be sure to try the local honey) it was off to the bus station to return to San Jose. All in all a very pleasant trip! If you find yourselves in the Central Valley wanting a unique experience, don't hesitate to make your way to Las Alturas! I only wish I had time for another horseback ride! Even for non riders this is a fun place to visit. As a solo traveler I was quickly at ease with the Hosts. For Families the Finca has a great set up and plenty of privacy as well as the swimming pool and pond for some fishing!!

Room Tip: The lovely large room I had was inside the main house with a private bath. There is a "wing&quo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Bob & Patsy are wonderful Canadians who are now Costa Ricans. We would consider them friends after our stay there. Hard to get any contact information, they do not actively advertse and it can be tricky to find contact info but worth it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Brevard, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Eight of us spent several nights at Las Alturas, as we readied for a 6 day horseback trek guided by Barking Horse Farm. Robert and Patsy were delightful hosts, they even stayed up for two of us who arrived around 11:00pm, due to flight delays and missed connections. They warmed up dinner and poured us a much appreciated glass of wine. We all loved gathering for Patsy's delicious breakfasts and dinners. Not sure if dinner is normal for guests as we were a special booking. The setting is beautiful. My only regret is that we didn't get to enjoy the grounds and pool, as we were busy at Barking Horse Farm, connecting with our horses, during the day. Still, clean beds, good food, lively conversation, beautiful surroundings made for good memories.

Room Tip: Our room shared a bathroom, not sure if there were other shared bathrooms. It wasn't a problem...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

This is a beautiful home and B & B with outstanding tropical views and great service; easily our favorite place in our month long CR travels. Patsy and Bob are thoughtful and gracious. Any requests or needs were quickly addressed, and they were extremely generous and interesting people to visit. This is much more than a B & B. We truly felt we had made new friends and will return. The rooms are decorated with original art, much of it done by Patsy. Meals were excellent and varied, featuring fruit, vegetables & coffee fresh from the finca.The hosts are knowledgeable in healthy fresh cooking methods including vegetarian meals, if desired. Hiking & Horses are available, as is a multitude of interesting wildlife and pets. Nearby small Tico towns, and Puriscal particularly have most everything, supermarket, restaurants, and are also authentic and picturesque in feel. We can truly say that our visit to this mountain B & B and community changed our entire view of Costa Rica. We wouldn't hesitate to return or recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Las Alturas de Puriscal? Share your experiences!