“Lovely Hotel. Just a shame the service doesn't match!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Sheene Mill Hotel

You added The Sheene Mill Hotel to your Saves list
The Sheene Mill Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Station Road | Royston, Cambridgeshire, Royston SG8 6DX, England (Formerly The Sheene Mill Restaurant & Hotel)   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Royston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Royston, null, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel. Just a shame the service doesn't match!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Lovely restaurant in beautiful surroundings, just a shame about the service!

Food was very nice, starters arrived and couldn’t be faulted, but sadly it then went all down hill from there.

Our mains arrived beautifully presented, well the one and a half meals they brought to us as sadly my girlfriend meal was missing its vegetables. We were then blatantly ignored for the next hour by the waiting staff who were happy to serve the other 7 tables with their drinks and food, leaving myself drink less for the most part of the hour. When we did manage to catch a waiters eye it was for them to clear our table leaving us both sitting there for another 45 mins before asking us if we would like some desert!!

Somewhat to the waiters surprise we refused to have desert as we had appointments in Cambridge the next morning and didn’t want to be still sat at the table awaiting our deserts.

Paid the bill, minus any gratuity and left.

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED WITH THIS LEVEL OF SERVICE AND WILL NEVER RETURN!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
sheenemillreception, Owner at The Sheene Mill Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Paul,

I am very sorry to hear that you felt as though you were left out. I can assure you that we have taken this feedback seriously and put strict timing checks in place to prevent this from ever happening in the future.

I'm sure that if you gave us a chance in the future we would provide you with the dessert that you weren't able to have on us!

Regards

Adam Jordan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

Now under new management with Serena and Jordan, this is well worth a visit. We have been several times for a meal and have not been disappointed. Interesting menu, excellent food and very good value on Mondays where there is a limited choice 3 course meal for £17 - needless to say you need to book!

It is a lovely location overlooking the mill pond- staff are friendly andparking is easy.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

We were here for the May bank holiday weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We spent most of our time out on the decking overlooking the beautiful grounds and lake - complete with a friendly swan called Will! We stayed in room 1, which was spacious, clean and comfortable. The staff are all very attentive and friendly. The food is fantastic and great value. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed May 2013
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

stayed just 1 night on business. really beautiful and quiet location on the edge of melbourn village. the chatty resident swan was seriously annoying though at 5.30 in the morning! food in the restaurant was excellent and all staff were really friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Sheens Mill is instantly welcoming. The location is really lovely. Decking edges up to the mill pond, all beautifully maintained. The staff are attentive and will accommodate most requests. If you fancy eating on the decking then they will set up a table for you to do just that.
We had drinks in the conservatory pre dinner and were taken through to the dining room as soon as the table was ready.
I had the tempura squid as a starter with a pomegranate salad which was lovely. We were given a bread roll and ideally would have liked the option of a second.
As a main course I had a perfectly cooked rib eye steak, yummy.
Two of us opted not to have dessert but my husband enjoyed his bake-well tart and icecream.
Sheens Mill can't be faulted and if it were slightly cheaper we would go more frequently but as it is its lovely as a special treat.
Three starters, three mains, one dessert. Plus one gin and tonic, glass of red wine and small water one bottle red wine and a large water cost £164.00

• Stayed April 2013
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My partner and I recently enjoyed a mid-week break at The Sheene Mill.

Our room had a view across the mill-pond which was then basked in coloured lighting as the night drew in; which ensured the views were always nothing but perfect. It came with the largest selection of tea I've ever seen in a hotel and some complimentary bottled still & sparkling water - which I thought was a nice touch. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel was quiet enough to allow us a lie-in each morning.

The breakfast provided is a either a selection of cereals or you can order from the hot food menu (which is all made to order). We ordered from the hot-food menu each day and the food arrived very quickly.. they even gave me a cafetiere (for one) so I didn't have to keep leaving my table to get a top-up.

The cleaners come around daily and did a fantastic job getting rid of rubbish and replenishing the tea & coffee - they even folded some of my clothes that I'd left strewn along the bed one day!

The staff were very welcoming and always seemed to want to 'go the extra mile' for us to ensure we had everything we needed. I would definitely stay again and recommend it to others.

Lastly, my partner left behind her Kindle in the room and when I rang up the hotel in a panic a few hours after check-out - they already had the kindle to one side and offered to send it back recorded delivery to me which was re-assuring!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
sheenemillreception, Owner at The Sheene Mill Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. It makes all the hard work over the few weeks worth while. We hope you see you again soon!

Serena & Jordan
Leeds
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed at the Sheene on the 8th and 9th of March. The staff were pleasant and welcoming, but it has to be said, the main attraction of staying here is all down stairs. The restaurant, bar area, conservatory, snug and grounds are the best features. We only ate breakfast here, so couldn't judge the food except the breakfast, which was ok. Alarm bells rang as soon as we went upstairs to our allocated room (6). The stairs, carpet and walls were very scruffy and the door to our room needed a new lock and was also very scruffy. I have to say the room was very much more than tired. It was a tacky nautical themed room, with broken porthole in the rickety wardrobe, broken floor tiles, rickety porthole type sink in the bathroom...(yes I did say porthole type sink), old shower, dated tiles, again broken floor tiles, and fake rope style bedside tables. When you placed toiletries on the shelf below the porthole mirror... the shelf slumped and slid off....probably to add authenticity to the boat theme. It was as if the room had been part of a TV makeover challenge that had a budget of 50 pounds. We weren't asked if we were satisfied with the room, but goodness knows (as the hotel seemed not to be fully occupied) why this room would be offered as a first choice. We decided to laugh it off and enjoy the stay, given we were only there for 2 nights. From the website and the restaurant & wedding facilities offered here, it is clear that the owners are trying to give a perception of excellence/luxury. We were in the area visiting our son and future daughter in law and seeking potential wedding venues, the prospect of any of our potential guests being unlucky enough to stay in room 6, would be sufficient to prevent me booking a wedding event at this venue. As it is, if we were to ever stay there again I would seek guarantees in terms of what rooms we would be in.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms available.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim,

I am so sorry to read your Review regarding your Stay at The Sheene Mill, had you have told us at the time we would have happily moved you to another Room in the hope that you would have preferred that.

I'm not sure if you're fully aware of the situation, but the truth is the Rooms were all 'done up' in the Year 2000 by TV Celebrities and Names (as you pretty much suggested!) - Since then The Sheene Mill has gone through various hands and undergone some difficulties.

My partner and I have always loved The Sheene Mill and did not want to see its demise so decided to take over The Sheene Mill ourselves only 8 weeks ago.

In 8 Weeks we have re-painted every room (your room was wall papered, covering up the horrible blue wall that was and taking down the VERY scary Mermaid Picture that overlooked the Bed!!) ... We have re- carpeted most Rooms (Your Room did have a New Carpet installed only the week before, we did try to repair most of the tiles but obviously missed some so I apologise for that!)... We have bought New Covers, Duvets, Mattresses and various accessories and smellies to make the Rooms look and feel much nicer.

Honestly, if it was up to me, we would have completely re-done all the Rooms. However, being a young couple that have literally just had The Sheene Mill sprung on us to hopefully stop the business from going under, we do not yet have the funds to completely re- do everything.

We have painted, deep cleaned and added the personal touches we can afford throughout the Building and even more so in the rooms and I can honestly say that I feel happy that for the moment I have done as much as I possibly can to improve things and make The Sheene Mill look a little bit more Loved, Clean and Tidy again.

I have noted your Comments and am aware that the Room theme is perhaps slightly dated and I will most definitely be sorting this out as soon as I can.

We have every intention to 'bring The Sheene Mill back to Life' and make it the best place it can possibly be!!... And I am sure we will do, the truth is we're 8 weeks in and just need a little bit more time and money to do everything we want to do.

Many Thanks.

Serena & Jordan, The Sheene Mill.

Been to The Sheene Mill Hotel? Share your experiences!