“It's not all foam! Food is sensational!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Manila, Philippines
“It's not all foam! Food is sensational!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

If you're in the area (or even Girona or Barcelona) you have to make the trip to BoTiC! My husband and I tried the degustacion menu (for Spring / Summer) and we simply enjoyed every bite. The entire menu was well thought of in terms of flavour profile and proportion (you won't leave hungry) and you are greeted with a refreshing glass of cava. Wine list was appropriate for a Michelin star restaurant, prices are reasonable (usual restaurant mark-up) and a very good selection. Service was impeccable, dishes was great (perfect fish texture, pork was maddeningly melt-in-your-mouth delicious), dessert was fantastic (a bit odd looking though but those chocolate balls need a revisit) and the petit fours... divine!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Putte, Belgium
“Still the same high level”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

We went here 2 years ago, same period, and this year we revisited Bo-tic.
We can only confirm our first visit: the food is still innovative, very tasty and beautifully presented with a molecular twist. We were looking forward seeing how the chef would surprise us again.
Service is impeccable: 2 very friendly and competent young ladies who are fluent in Spanish but also speak decent English, although they are not coming from Spain or the UK..
There is a choice of 3 menus and a la carte; the wine is chosen by means of an I-pad.
We went for the special menu: 4 appetizers, 2 mains, 2 pre-desserts and 2 desserts, followed by coffee or tea with some little goodies.
But first we started again with 8 amazing little, beautiful snacks (you need to see them to believe it) followed by a small cup crustacea soup (called: cappuccino) with potato foam: wonderful and delicious.
The four appetizers: sardine, salmon, foie gras, scallop were all delicious with special mentioning for the foie gras textures and the scallop dish. And the same high level is found in the desserts, some sour, some sweet, some with chocolate but all well-balanced.
I end with saying again that this restaurant truly deserves its Michelin star and is worth a second one.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Montreal, Canada
“Disapointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This place is probably just tailing upon the molecular success of the sucessful el buli and followers. Unfortunalty, it falls short. The degustation menu is rather boring, a lot of fish and seafood, curiously mixed with some odd flavors creating mixed results. Some dishes are better than others, most fall flat, but at least they try, and for that they have my respect. Unfortunatly, better results are obtained by international competitors (when you have a michelin star, this is what your are challenging against) so I was not impressed personnaly.

But what really killed it for me is the total lack of ambiance. The interior of the restaurant is nicely decorated, but the light is so strong like in a supermarket. Total impossibility to deem the light. Who wants to have a romantic dinner in a lab??? I asked to reduce the light and was turned down. Otherwise the service was rather cold but efficient. Wine was fine but not out of this world. The whole thing is not really over-expensive, but still not cheap.

I would not return.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Kiev, Ukraine
“Did not meet expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

This restaurant claims for a high cuisine, but as for me it is insipid. Dishes seemed to be unflavored. Service is highly good, sommelier is excellent. But overall atmosphere in the restaurant is a bit boring.

Expensive. Not satisfying.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Girona, Spain
“Food good, service correct, management below average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

My wife and I just came back from this restaurant. We had a menú Degustació.
Final cost 90 EUR p/p.

FOOD
Food is good. Trying a bit too much to impress and very elBulli style, yet after having been to elBulli, 41º and ElCeller we no longer get surprised by textures and shapes and will judge the food per se, and here the comparison gets cruel with Bo.Tic.
Great: the sardine entrée and a citrics dessert. Quite good also the piglet we got in exchange of lamb which we didn't want. Most things were good to very good but not memorable.

SERVICE
Perfectly correct and attentive. Very much on the traditional/robotic style of serving. Not my favourite, but no fault on them. I read some criticism on them so I guess now they are asked to be very (French) correct. I read critics on the lack of knowledge of languages. Now they speak English very well. Well above average.

MANAGEMENT- Small mistakes, slight arrogance and poor attention to detail.

- When I booked I said it was my wife's birthday. They could care less.
- I said I don't tolerate cheese. They just gave me the same dishes without the cheese. Not a single substitute for it. To the point of getting a filled roll... filled with air. Considering the Chef is a co-owner, I consider this a management mistake.
- Wine is grossly overpriced for the times being. Only a mafia guy or a herein wouldn't mind paying more than twice the retail price for most wines in the list. The iPad app is a gimmick, it doesn't bring any advantage to the wine selection process and I can see a few people getting a bit stuck with it.

- The Chef didn't come out to salute and his partner, supposedly the Maître d'Hotel, only was there to say bye and take my comments with a condescending smile and saying an unfelt "your opinion deserves respect". A bit tired of these Chefs who have a sister or partner in the dining room and they both decide that prestige should be shared. Sorry but when I go out to EAT the cook is the most important person there. If they want to share the spotlight the can start cooking themselves.

- Coffees were priced abusively. Around 3 euros each including VAT. I mentioned they had charged only one and not the one we had and they corrected and charged both coffees. A missed opportunity to have a nice detail. Have I paid more for a coffee? sure, but price here is very disproportionate to the menú pricing, just like wine. Am I the only one hating to be overcharged with lateral things after being attracted by a competitive price? Considering the fates of Drolma and Can Fabes I don't think so. Everytime I went to those places I had a bittersweet feeling due to abusive pricing.

OVERALL: Good but not great. Too much of an elBulli wannabe, and once the novelty is well past, I just can't see why little tasting small balls of tomato are better than real tomato.
I believe they should try harder to please considering they had 4 people for lunch on a Friday. Seeing that one co-owner (the chef) didn't even get out to say hi in a very relaxed workday and the other co-owner could care less about what clients think, I doubt they will get this place to keep it going up with the tough times chilling the economy and the not so great location. They are young and the chef shows talent. This place with the same chef and a really good Maître d'Hôtel would be another world. Maybe the co-owner could learn and become one. The question is, does she want to?

• Visited July 2013