“Good food with friendly service” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Pratteln
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Since 9th September 1999 "Just the Best Steaks in Town", BBQ Tex-Mex Combo's, Spare Ribs and more...
UK
“Good food with friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

This was the busiest place in town so decided to give it a go. Very friendly service from the start. The food was really good and the portions were large. Defo worth a visit.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Basel, Switzerland
“Never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I had been looking much forward to our "farewell dinner" at the Kentucky Saloon in Pratteln. We had reserved a table for 19:00 and our party of 16 adults and a baby arrived on time. But you may already sense that this is not going to be a good review...

When making our e-mail reservation we had mentioned there would be a baby with us and were told this would not be a problem. But when we were shown to our long table, placed in the middle of the restaurant, there was no high chair. We asked about this and were told that they only have one and it was already in use. So our friends had to sit with their baby on their lap all evening, when he was not put in his stroller.

OK, we didn't want to let this put a damper on our evening. We were among friends and this would be a great night with good food, drinks and a nice experience of the Kentucky Saloon. Boy, we were wrong. From here it really went downhill.

After everyone being seated it took 20 minutes before we were served our first drinks, and getting more drinks was just a nightmare. For some reason it seemed that all waiters who had to pass around our long table in the middle of the restaurant managed to overlook that we were there. No service at all, even though several people from our party tried catching waiters on their way to ask for ordering more drinks. Some of us even started going directly to the bar to get drinks. They did get some drinks but especially one of them were treated very unfriendly when asking for some drinks.

OK, that was enough ranting about the drinks. Let's get to the food.

We have pre-ordered one of the set menus when we made the reservation more than two weeks in advance. We added three adults since the reservation was made. But it should come as no surprise when and what we wanted to eat. Our starter (a small salat) took half an hour to find our table, which seemed a little strange but was equally bad as the service with drinks. This would have been acceptable, had it not been that the "hunt" for our main course took almost 1.5 hours!! After finishing our starter we started noticing that guests around us, both smaller parties arriving later than us and an equally big party seated next to us, had finished their starters and main course without us being served.

It may be that we are used to the very high service standards in Switzerland. But to wait 2 hours in total from arriving to being served the main course is just plain unacceptable and really bad business. After having waited for around 45 minutes after the starter we started making the staff aware of our situation, asking when to expect the main course, asking to at least get some more drinks while waiting, and in general making them aware that this situation was really putting a damper on our experience.

Not once did the staff "pro-actively" come to our table and explain the situation from their end (they could have been short-staffed, missed the order in the kitchen or something else that would explain this). Instead we were just "left there", not being able to do anything. We even started discussing at the table if we should order pizza from somewhere else or give them a hand in the kitchen.

When finally being served our main course (which was an OK quality, serving a variation of different meats and vegetables) and getting some drinks that was actually brought to the table, we started enjoying the evening again. It seemed that our table finally got some attention from the staff and the service was fine for the rest of the evening. But this poor experience put a very big black cloud over our night, no matter how hard everyone tried to stay positive and talk about something else.

Now, how would you handle such a situation if you were the restaurant? How would you try to regain some favour from your customers who had expressed that this was really not OK? At least we expected some kind of apology and a compensation that would show that the restaurant cared about its guests and giving them an optimal experience. But all we got was "We are sorry that you had to wait for your food and to make up for this we like to offer you all a free coffee". What!? A free coffee only, this is so not right. We were shocked that we were expected to pay full price after such an evening, that had run no where near smoothly. Full price, even though we waited for several hours for our food. Full price, even though we got really bad service almost all night. There was of course nothing else we could do about it but at the price for the set menu and drinks in total this just was no where near a fair compensation.

It doesn't really matter in the end why we came to this place. In no situation would our experience have been good. But as mentioned in the beginning of this review this was our farewell dinner with good friends, as we are now moving out of Switzerland. We just wanted to enjoy some good food at a fun place with a good atmosphere. Sadly, our "last dinner" was no where near to this. It was a miserable background for saying goodbye to friends we have known for over three years, and we would never recommend this place to anyone. We have a strong feeling that our friends all agree to that.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Basel, Switzerland
“An Immersed Experienced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I am from Texas, but live in Basel. I and three colleagues who were visiting from Texas went to the Kentucky Saloon & Steakhouse. My highest praise comes first from the atmosphere. From the moment you step inside the doors, to the moment you leave, we were surrounded by a very authentic American Western look and feel and sound. During the meal, at one point, I completely forgot that I was in Switzerland, and could have been sitting at a restaurant in Texas with colleagues. The country and western music downed out all voices at nearby tables and guests. I really had no link to believe that I was still in Switzerland. For this reason alone, if you're looking for a pretty authentic American-like experience, I can recommend this place. So, how was the food? Well, we all had appetizers - salads, onion rings, garlic bread. All was fresh, and good - absolutely nothing negative to speak of. The portions for the appetizers (and salads) were above average for Swiss standards (in my humble opinion), but certainly not huge. For the main course, we all had some sort of steak. Again, with the steak, we all really enjoyed them. Cooked right, they were delicious. I had one of the Black Angus cuts, and was very pleased. Regarding portions, I was a bit disappointed. While they do offer a wide range of steak sizes (170gr/6oz to 425gr/15oz), the sides which accompany were relatively small - almost typical Swiss restaurant portions (in my humble opinion). The baked potato was certainly minuscule when compared to what we would be used to in Texas. But I agree, that it is completely unfair, and because this is Switzerland - unreasonable, to try to compare almost anything to "what it is like where I come from" (where ever you happen to come from). Therefore, I will not knock down my rating on the portion sizes because they don't meet American standards, but I do believe the portion sizes were small given the prices charged. Even by Swiss standards, I would say that the prices are a little bit high, even for the Black Angus which comes from the US. Overall, the entire menu seems about 10% too high - especially considering you have to travel out of the big city of Basel to the small town of Pratteln for your dinner. I guess what I'm saying is, that if the restaurant was right in the middle of Basel, situated nicely for tourists, I could understand the prices being at this level - but so far off the beaten path? Sorry, I have beat up the prices too much, but I had to explain this before I make my next statement. The Kentucky Saloon & Steakhouse is definitely a wonderful experience, visually, audibly, and orally (it tastest good!). Unfortunately, the prices will prevent it from being a restaurant I return to on any regular basis. I will keep it filed in my catalog of restaurants to take Americans who simply want to eat somewhere "more like home", or for special occasions where I'd like non-American friends to get a taste of a truly American-feeling atmosphere. If you have been thinking of going, and never been before - stop thinking and go! Just bring a few extra CHF with you, and let your brain be fooled into thinking that you are no longer in Switzerland - at least, until you get the invoice to pay for the meal.

• Visited March 2013