“Definitely will be back” 4 of 5 stars

+44 1968 676077
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Leadburn Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Penicuik
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Leadburn Inn is friendly, cosy Country pub serving "real beer and proper food". We pride ourself on totally fresh, seasonal produce, sourced locally. Our menu is classically British comfort food, where the flavours of the ingredients speak for themselves....! We also have an ever changing specials board. Our cask conditioned ale selection changes regularly as does our bottled beer selection. We are independently owned and very family friendly. So much so there is a purpose built, 3 level, kids soft play area in a separate part of the building.
“Definitely will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch yesterday sitting outside in the sunshine . Had the venison burger which was out of this world .
The staff were all very friendly and attentive. One of my favourite places to eat now :)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“fabulous night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Came with friends on Saturday night for dinner , didn't realise there was a band on later , what an added bonus , great music and a great night .
There were 4 of us , we shared a meat and a veggie platter to start , both came on a large wooden board with delicious dips and bread , we all really enjoyed .
Two had sirloin steak which they reckoned was up there with the best steaks ever , very tender , I had fillet of beef medallions with brie and red onion marmalade which was to die for and last but not least was a homemade angus burger which was wolfed down and enjoyed .
Only 2 of us managed a pud , me who had blueberry cheesecake which was delicious and homemade and the other was homemade banoffii again was fab ( i had a bit )
All in all a great night , food was superb and the wine from the reasonably priced wine list was flowing , the guys enjoyed the range of real ales too .
Staff were friendly and helpful , we will be back , well done Leadburn Inn

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Looked nice from the outside but quality of food not so hot”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Starting off with the best bits, this Inn is in a good location for catching passing trade and looks great on the outside and very clean and welcoming inside and the toilets were spotless. The place was quiet on a Thursday lunchtime with only one other couple and the bar looked well stocked with real ales, good selection of other beers and a few specials on offer. The menu looked good with plenty to choose from and a good range from light snacks to heavier meals.
We chose the soup of the day, one had the house club sandwich and I had Aberdeen Angus steak baguette. The soups were fine but the main courses were dry and a bit of a let down. The baguette was hard and didn't seem fresh and the salad leaves were dry and wilting.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Thrown out of the soft play...!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

My sons and I, and my friends and their children who came with us to the Leadburn, were (I swear, you wouldn't believe it) thrown out of the soft play, like a bunch of trouble makers, because my two year old son had a toilet accident inside. I'll spare you the gorey details, but he had his accident, came out, we offered to clean it up but of course they refused (I'm sure that was for H&S grounds) and 20 minutes later we were abruptly, loudly and very publicly marched out, being told that this accident was a health and safety risk that they couldn't have on the premisses.
Had I been less harassed and embarrassed, I would have asked to speak to the manager there and then, but as it was, I was too busy consoling my toddler who understood perfectly that his accident had led to he and his friends all being thrown out.
Of course, I wrote a letter to the manager of the Leadburn, but that went ignored.
We, of course, will not be going back. What a horrible way to treat a young child, going through what can be a difficult transition, and indeed what a horrible way to treat the rest of us too.

• Visited April 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Peebles, Scotland, United Kingdom
“disappointed this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I have eaten here a few times recently and always had a good meal so we were disappointed it was not up to standard on this visit.

My wifes pattie was so runny it was like soup and my monkfish scampi tails were a bit bland. The staff were very apologetic about the patties and knock it and a drink of the bill. They say the chef thought it should never have been sent out - but it was so a fault in the command chain somewhere. Also thought the choive of specials was a bit poor.

As I say, we have had lovely meals there before so dont let that put you off - it was a Thursday evening and everyone can have a bad day.

• Visited June 2014