“Celebration” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Celebration”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Absolutely awesome. !...such an amazing hotel. Arrived to find a beautiful room on the top floor with a fantastic sea view. Champagne on ice with a congratulations note attached, fresh fruit and pastries. A lovely touch.
The hotel is spotlessly clean throughout. The food is amazing and the service second to none. We are so pleased that we chose The Maricel to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Total perfection in every way. Thank you so much. X

Room Tip: Sea view! Any room on sea view side would be amazing. Stunning views.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
HospesHotels, General Manager at Hospes Maricel Mallorca & Spa, responded to this review, September 5, 2014
Dear Sarah.

General Manager Hospes Maricel and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Ruislip, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Just returned from a lovely week at this hotel. We have stayed there twice before but not for quite a while. Rooms spotless and cool. Had a lovely room overlooking the sea, which is a must in my opinion. Reception staff were the best I have ever encountered anywhere, with a special mention for Andrea who was just lovely. My partner has MS with walking problems and has a stick for short walks and wheelchair for anything else, so the reception staff went out of their way to,check to see if restaurants were disabled friendly etc. breakfast was fantastic, nothing you could want for that was not already provided, and again staff there were excellent. My only issue, and if my partner was not disabled it would have five stars, was that there was no disabled access to the swimming pool,overlooking the sea. At the very least they could fix a hand rail to the stairs down to the pool, which would have made this much better, and also no disabled access into the pool either, and again there should be some kind or hand rail fixed. Having said that the hotel does have another pool in their new annex which is disabled friendly but this pool is not in a nice area really to lay by the pool and does not look over anything but buildings. Also the pool,bar service was a little slow to say the least and drinks not that well made by one of the bar men by the pool. All that said, we had a great stay thanks to the staff, room, location of hotel, and ambiance. Would definable go back, but only if I know it has better disabled access

Room Tip: A room with a balcony in the main building overlooking the seA is best
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Graham.

We really appreciate your words, they give us more energy to improve the service everyday. We have take good note about the disabled access, and we are going to find a solution.

Michael Kastrupsen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I did not know anything about the hotel when I booked, just needed a couple of nights to stay with regards to a meeting close by. But I was really surprised by the great service and impressed by the great design of this hotel.

The main buildings location overlooking the sea from a high point is just stunning. Sitting on the terraces eating or having drinks is a wonderfull and mindsoothing experience. The food is excellent, too.

The main building is old and majestic but the room section is an architectural statement in the mixed style of scandinavian functionality and spanish warmth. Dug into the ground and clad with raw stone and green trees - letting the sunlight create patterns wherever you go.

My room was extremely cool from a interior design point of view and the little spa on my terrace was great.

I can really recommend this Hotel - and look forward to coming back....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Michael.

HEYWOOD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

me and and wife have just spent a very happy week in this beautiful hotel
good morning, we are able to upgrade your room
wow thanks, what did we do to deserve a top floor room with a sea view ?
the world cup has started, the bar is busy, the bar staff are attentive
spain get walloped by holland, staff still smiling through gritted teeth
the breakfast buffet (pricey, 28 euros)
beautifully prepared fruit. pates, meat cheese yogurts its all there
spend a day round the infinity pool or take a swim in the sea, relax
could you arrange bicycle for me please, of course! no problem
theme for the week, of course no problem
tip for you, save up go to this hotel, have a great time
happy days

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HospesHotels, General Manager at Hospes Maricel Mallorca & Spa, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear guest.

We really appreciate your words, they give us more energy to improve the service everyday. We take good note of your words about the breakfast price.

I hope to receive you back soon, let me know and I will take care personally of your reservation.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

The architecture is wonderful, the place is immaculate and the views are pretty good to. It is the only hotel I will stay at in Palma. The rear of the hotel meanders into the sea where there is a good 300 meter swim across the bay, great exercise when you are sick of sunbathing. The Breakfasts are also one of the best I've had, nothing is fried, good breads, pastries and coffee.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Richard.

Dublin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

It is several years since our last visit to this hotel and I regret to say that we did not find it to be as good as on previous occasions. First, the price of rooms with sea views are ludicrously high. We paid 707 euro for a third floor room which was sparsely furnished and with no more than a tiny window overlooking the sea. There was no view unless one went right up to the glass to peer out.That rate did not include breakfast which is 28 euro per head.
Secondly, the terrace bar has been allowed to get quite tatty. The tables and chairs have not been upgraded since our last visit and they are showing their age. The bar is poorly staffed too and - quite bizarrely - is subject to attack by marauding seagulls who appear to have no fear of guest or staff. Not what one expects in a five star hotel especially when it is relatively easy to deal with such pests - the Marker hotel in Dublin has a very effective flying scarecrow in the shape of a falcon that does the job brilliantly. A great pity because the view is superb from the terrace.
Thirdly, the only source of drinking water at the pool (which otherwise is excellent) is in the form of a small bottle priced at 6 euro. Again, in a five star, one would expect free iced water? The price is the same for the water in the mini bar. Although the turndown staff place free bottles in the room at bedtime, these are removed next day (even though still half full) presumably to force guests to resort to the mini bar at 6 euro a go?
Fourthly, lighting in the rooms is very poor - with no more than two small reading lamps to light the bedroom. And the choice of English language tv is appalling - just 2 or 3 news channels nothing more notwithstanding that BBC, ITV, and Channel 4 are all readily available on satellite in Spain.
So, although the main part of the hotel is still appealing for the setting and the views, the impression it left with us is that it is resting on its laurels and doing its best to squeeze as much as it possibly can from its guests.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HospesHotels, General Manager at Hospes Maricel Mallorca & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Hotel Maricel & Spa on Tripadvisor, we take all comments whether they be positive or otherwise with great enthusiasm as only with guest feedback can we continue to improve on our service and deliver an exceptional experience to our guests. It is however regretful that you didn`t bring to my attention your dissatisfaction during your stay as I would have loved to have the opportunity to resolve any issues on the spot.

It is with great pleasure that I inform you that we have recently installed our refurbishment plan and since then many improvements have already been made, such as the new sun loungers and umbrellas in the pool area, we are updating all the furniture in the suite ect but we are aware that it is a continued process and are committed to the maintenance of such an historic building.

The price of your room in June was based on weekend rates our prices are continually monitored and I regret that you did not find us value for money.

Thank you for your suggestion on how to deal with the Seagulls it has been noted and a similar method will soon be put into place. In regards to the drinking water we place a complimentary bottle of water in the turn down every evening, I have pass on your comments about the old bottles to our housekeeping department.

Finally we have just changed the minibar prices this week in order to offer a better and more competitive selection.

The most important thing for us is to retain you as a customer and would ask you to give us another chance to make your next stay a memorable one, the next time you would like to visit Mallorca please feel free to call me personally and I will take care of you reservation and requests myself.

Your sincerely

General Manager Hospes Maricel
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

I have to say I was slightly anxious about travelling solo before my trip to Majorca and to this hotel. I needn't have worried a jot. The hotel staff were wonderful in every respect. I was made to feel just as welcome and at home as if I was with a partner, or part of a group. The whole place exudes a certain charm but that is in no small part due to the staff who excelled themselves. First rate. I can name Elisa at the front desk, Inma and her colleague Di (from the lovely spa), Nadia who waitered on me a few times and Kevin. All were charm personified. I relaxed into the holiday very quickly helped by a great Swedish massage from Inma on my first night. What a way to start. I had Inma again for a reflexology treatment a few nights later and she was truly fabulous! Really knows her stuff. My room in the main/original building (a Dreamer's Sea View) was spacious, well laid out, very comfortable and of course it had fabulous views of the sea and Bay of Palma. If you fancy upgrading and paying a bit more, there are rooms on the first level that are very similar but that also come with a large terrace. I was very tempted to upgrade but the rooms were undergoing renovation so this was not possible on this occasion. Maybe next time. I ate all my breakfasts and dinners at the hotel and, without fail, they were delicious. The food is of a very high standard, as are the drinks. Again, service was exemplary throughout. The main pool area is very nice although the weather was a little on the cool side so I did not do as much pool-side lounging/sunbathing as I had anticipated. Still, no matter as I made full use of the excellent spa across the main road from the hotel. This is about 5 years old and it really is a great addition to the hotel. It adds another dimension and allows you to get away for a little more solitary peace and quiet. (Not that the main hotel was busy or noisy when I was there). The spa had all the usual amenities one would expect - wet and dry sauna, jacuzzi with water jets, heated indoor/outdoor pool, relaxation area, treatment rooms etc. The water beds in the treatment rooms are very comfortable - a first for me. The location of the Hospes Maricel is perfect for a trip into Palma in one direction or Portals Nous in the other. On a recommendation from Di, I walked to a very nice chiringuito (beach bar) in Cala Comtessa (just past Illetas), about a 20 minute walk from the hotel. Great gin & tonic and the food was good too.

Overall, I had a thoroughly enjoyable time and all my pre-trip worries melted away. There is something magical and special about the Mediterranean in the Summer. It should be prescribable on the NHS. It restores the soul and mine needed restoring. Thank you to all the lovely staff at the Maricel for making my holiday so memorable and charming. I will return for sure.

Room Tip: First level rooms in the main building have a large private terrace that maximise the views of the s...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HospesHotels, General Manager at Hospes Maricel Mallorca & Spa, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear guest,

This is one of the most positive feedbacks I have read in a very long time.

I would like to truly thank you for taking your time on writing about your experience, it really is helpful for us and a very good way of motivating our employees.

We will be waiting for you next time to make your experience at Maricel unforgettable.

With warm regards,
General Manager Hospes Maricel

Been to Hospes Maricel Mallorca & Spa? Share your experiences!