“Great hotel - seriously overbooked and beds very hard...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe Hotel

You added Santa Fe Hotel to your Saves list
Santa Fe Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Paseo de Colon 132, 07458 Santa Margalida, Majorca, Spain   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Santa Margalida
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Great hotel - seriously overbooked and beds very hard...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

Overall the standard of this hotel was inconsistent as follows;

- Location was excellent, right on the beach at Can Picafort - you could eat breakfast and clearly see people taking early morning dips.
- Beach bar linked to the hotel was excellently serviced, a little slow - but hey, we're in Majorca ;-)
- Staff very pleasant and mostly friendly, tend to be more German speaking than English speaking but overall pleasant experience
- Rooms were very comfortable and pleasant - if you were lucky enough to get a balcony overlooking the beach absolutely great !

Onto the Average points;

- Food was average, most nights were pork or veal with associated vegetables and salads. Desserts tended to be the same everynight. Breakfast was standard buffet. Bearing in mind this was a half-board hotel it was a little disappointing.

Onto the negatives;

- Overbooking. This was a major problem for this hotel - clearly there is a breakdown between its agencies and the reservations department. We phoned when we were trying to find the hotel (we hired a car) only to be told we were booked in at a hotel 4 km's away - not good. No directions, just the hotel name - not a great start to our 7 day break. On the flip side, after being told we were to stay in the alternative hotel for 3 nights we did turn up the next day and were promptly offered 2 rooms (we booked 2 doubles) only to get one double and one single room - so a halfway house. Bearing in mind there were three of us we took the offer with the agreement from the hotel we would get compensation on the difference. A lot of other families (mostly English) had similar problems, personally I don't believe this was an anti-English thing, but more of the fact that the agencies we booked through were at fault.

- The beds. Absolutely the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in (including camping on hard ground). We did get the matress changes with little fuss but both that and the pillows were as hard as rocks.

So overall, if the beds were more comfortable I would have given this a 4 star rating, we're still waiting on the compensation on the difference so the juries out on that one !

Room Tip: sea views is a must
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Just spent a week in this hotel which is situated in an area called 'Can Picafort'. Unfortunately I would not go back to this part of Majorca and certainly not to this hotel!

Hotel beds- We left with sore backs! Now I like a firm bed but these beds were ridiculously uncomfortable and small. The worst I've ever slept in - no exaggeration.

Rooms- We paid for a room for three which turned out to be very small. All rooms we saw (from corridor) were very cramped looking.

Cleanliness- the hotel is very dated but the cleaning staff did a good professional job throughout the hotel.

Facilities- very limited. You have to pay extra for hotel sun beds/ umbrellas on site. It was cheaper to buy your own umbrella from the local shop and a few straw mats.

Food- We 'endured' half board for the week but regretted this rather early on. Breakfast is served from 8-10am and dinner 7-9pm. These ridiculous two hour slots cause a dining experience not unlike 'feeding time for cattle' (drinks cost extra at dinner). The atmosphere in the dining room is horrible, people(the vast majority German) rush around practically breathing on your necks as they try to fill their plates. The unfriendly staff rush around slamming plates and cutlery into there trolleys, the noise is awful. The food is plentiful but bland and boring. We lived off salad most nights. The meat dishes were school dinner style stews or covered in oil. Some of the fish dishes were ok and there was always nice fresh bread available.

Staff- I've always felt that it was very important to be provided with good customer service and that this is part of what you pay for, particularly on holiday. With the exception of 2 younger members of staff and one professional receptionist, the staff at this hotel are clearly unhappy. They are in need of some customer service training as they lack manners, politeness and are very cold.

Location- 'Can Picafort' is very dull. The only plus is that the hotel is on the beach. The hotel next door has loud entertainment from 9.00-10.30pm most nights so plan to be out as you won't be able to hear yourself think during these hours. The strip along the beach is full of tacky, poor quality restaurants full of either families or over 50's. There are only 2 night clubs in the area but they seemed to have young children queuing outside them. A walk along the beach at night was as pleasant and entertaining as it got for us unfortunately. You can get a bus to visit the local areas which are much the same, the old Alcudia town was nice to see but is full of overpriced shops and restaurants.
You will be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2011
Colchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Arrived at this hotel as an independent booking through Expedia.co.uk. It was paid for weeks in advance and confirmed. We know Can Picafort well and booked this hotel due to good reviews and the excellent beach location.
On arrival we were told the hotel was overbooked and were offered some alternative sub-standard accommodation 50Km away, which we declined.
Eventually we were accommodated at the Viva Mallorca hotel for 1 night (wonderful place!) and advised that the Santa Fe did have availability from then on. This turned out to be a complete lie. They were offering us the bel vue in Alcudia as an alternative, (see the reviews on this web site, It is labelled "Hell view"). The hotel was very overbooked and many other guests were being relocated. We refused this and despite Expedia and the Santa Fe having our money already, we ended up paying ourselves to stay at the Hotel Gran Playa for 1 night. We were told there were no rooms available in the resort at all, yet we found this hotel ourselves and it is on the same street and only 2 hotels down from the Santa Fe. There was a final attempt by Expedia/Santa Fe to find accommodation for the rest of our holiday which failed as it is high season and everywhere seemed full, unless you were happy to stay in a rubbish hotel. So 2 days into our 10 day holiday we have paid additional costs to fly home, as there is no where to stay that is suitable for a family.
Expedia are currently unwilling to refund us the costs we have incurred due to their failings! If they had told us the rooms were not available we would not have travelled to Mallorca in the first place.
We specifically booked this accommodation, had it confirmed and paid in full weeks in advance only to be treated like third class citizens. We have paid large amounts of money to get to Can Picafort as well as the cost of the hotel.
We are out of pocket and are being fobbed off by Expedia.
DO NOT TRUST THEM WITH YOUR MONEY!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Sopron, Hungary
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

This was the most terrible hotel where I roamed it once! They were German in the hotel only , a guest was with a couple of other nationalities, but they did not deal with them!The not for German guests not too very much wanted neither,to say hello,neither to give any kind of information though! All of the hotel was a nightmare.He was not a problem with the cleanness alone. The foods were very delicate though. The most positive one was the proximity of the seacoast. The water crystal clear and shallow, was wonderful!Summed up: I would recommend this hotel to the German tourists only, for others no way,if their summer holidays do not want to be ruined!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Here
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed twice at the Santa Fe, in June 2007 and June 2009 and the difference between both years was amazing.
In 2007, everything was ok, the room was cleaned every day and was very clean, the food was good and the choice was large, but in 2009, things have changed.
When we returned there in June 09, we were amazed by the very bad quality of the food for diner.
The breakfast buffet was quite ok, but for diner, all was very fat, the cook when he brought the dishes to the buffet was wearing very dirty pants and did not look so clean at all...
So we had diner outside every evening which was not planned in our trip, but the buffet was looking so ugly that we thought it was better like this for our health...
The people working there were friendly, but not so longer as friendly as in 07.
Beside that, the good point is the hotel location directly at the beach and the promenade and the sea view from the rooms (the lateral seaview is even better than the straight seaview) which are really great.

• Stayed June 2009
Rochdale, Greater Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

Have just got back today from one week at the Santa Fe. Wish I'd gone for longer. The Hotel is in a fantastic location. It has it's own private beach with around a dozen sun loungers. If you can bag one of these, it will cost you 3.50 euros per day, but you get a voucher for a free drink. The main beach itself is fantastically long and sandy. The sun loungers here are 6 euros including straw umbrella. I brought my own beach tent, so no cost to me! The sea is shallow for a good way out, the waves were big and strong most days, so younger children need to be careful, but they can paddle by the edges with no problem.
From the hotel which is situated right on the sea front, you can go for a stroll down a pedestrianised walkway to the harbour. It's a lovely twenty minute walk with shops, bars, and restaurants all the way down. At the bottom you can do like a "u" turn and come up through the main town. Again a lovely walk with shops, bars and restaurants. The shops are mostly clothing/gift type. There's plenty of cashpoints if you need them, I think I counted four, and a Burger King if you fancy it. Also for the male footy fans - No 1 bar just off the main street is an English bar with a big screen telly showing all the matches. I think there's two discos, definitely one, but I don't know what it's like coz I didn't visit, but many of the bars have live entertainment of an evening. It's a bit cheesy but good fun!
The Santa Fe itself is brilliant. I've never seen a Hotel as clean, and it stays that way all day! There's a lot of German people there, in fact I was one of only two English guests, but I made loads of friends of them. They like practising their English, and after a few beers, it can be a right laugh! The food was nice, not fantastic. I stayed half board. The breakfast was best, and catered for most nationalities, and there was plenty of it. Nobody minded if you went back for seconds or thirds. Tea was mostly salad, with maybe three choices, those being fish or meat. Chips were always there, and somedays pasta or rice. If you mixed it up a bit, you could go all week with a different meal. No cakes for dessert, usually blancmange type puds, jelly and ice-cream. But everything was cooked well and very tasty and hot. The staff were brilliant too. Served your drinks with your meal within minutes of sitting down, and cleared away just as quickly too. One review mentioned having to share tables with strangers as you are seated by the staff at the Hotel. That's stopped now and you can sit where you want and with who you want.
The room I stayed in was a single. It didn't have a sea view as these rooms look out over the forecourt at the front. But it was nice, cool and restful there. It was long and narrow and with not an awful lot of space, but definitely adequate, and it had a fridge so I could store some snacks. It was cleaned everyday and clean towels everyday too. The bed wasn't changed, but that might be because I made it up myself every morn!! Maybe if I'd left it then it would have been.
If there was anything to complain about I can only maybe think, my bed could have been a bit more comfier, but that's personal choice. Oh and the African tat sellers on the beach drove me mad a bit, but I ended up chatting to one or two and they stopped mythering, just waved as they went by.
What can I say, I will definitely go back here, and that's not something I would normally do. It was just great!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2009

Had a great time at this hotel. We found it being mostly german a good not bad point as there was no rowdy rude people to contend with. The hotel did not have a pool which I thought would bother me but to be completely honest I didn't miss it at all!

The beach itself is great and the scenery across to the mountains from it is fantastic.

There is plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner the food was varied and tasty maybe the only slightly negative point on food was that the spanish have quite a heavy hand with the salt .Would definitely return to this hotel again

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Santa Fe Hotel? Share your experiences!