“Typical holiday inn express/beware of shuttle cost” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport

You added Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Freisinger Strasse 94, 85445 Oberding, Bavaria, Germany   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Oberding
Northridge,CA
“Typical holiday inn express/beware of shuttle cost”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Typical holiday inn express hotel. Took almost an hour to get a shuttle to the hotel. Speaking of which, they advertise their shuttle on their website but I could not find any place that it says 8 euros each way if you take it. I was kind of disappointed about that. I asked the front desk staff and they said no it has always been that way. I'm a priority club member and have was disappointed with that. Also, the night I was there there was no internet access, it was down. They did refund me the 6 euros I had paid to have wi-fi in the room.

The breakfast compared to other HIE's was really disappointing. The one in Frankfurt is much superior. There was ham, cheese, bread, and cereal. However, they do start breakfast at 4am for early travellers. The room was nice and was fine for a night lay over by the hotel.

Do beware that Lufthansa uses this hotel in case they need to put passengers up over night. They could not put everyone on the shuttle when I was at the airport.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2011

I had the utmost urgency in finding my hotel and generally went by the Holiday Inn Express name brand. The staff (Manuela, Yvonne) were friendly enough and swiftly checked me into my room. The rooms are indeed very clean and decently sized, including bathrooms, a surprise in Europe. Food is nothing to write about, but it fills your stomach. Also, there were some hotel works going on when I was there.

Once in, I discovered the hotel didn't have any mini fridge in there. So, when I tried calling, the phone was dead. I had to go down and make the complaint regarding the phone. They promptly gave me keys to another room, but I had no help at all to move my stuff - had to repack and then move the stuff myself. They had 5-6 people at the registration desk, but none came to help.

The room numbers are not in any order so keep an eye out for your room number or rely on the room map.

I needed an adapter and the hotel had all kinds of adapters, but obviously not the one I was looking for....it would have been easier if they just bought an international adapter and not pieces of it. The first room had just one TV channel as well.

Given a choice, I might stay here again, but for this place is certainly no value for money. At least, the staff tries.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
MUCAP, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Chipalkat,

thank you very much for your altogether positive review and the very detailled information for improvement you provided. I assure you we can do better than what you experienced. You should not have encountered any malfunctioning equipment at all in your room.

Regarding your comment on minimized service in the hotel - e.g. our staff helping with your luggage - please note that we are able to offer great prices for a good product also because of reduced staff head count in comparison to a 4-star hotel. Although we try to provide a maximum your typical bell-boy services such as carrying luggage and welcoming guests at the entrance are not part of our philosophy.

Thank you for patronizing Holiday Inn Express!

Bellatrix Online LTD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2011

I have been staying in this hotel for one night and the whole experience was awful. I had to wait for the shuttle bus for one hour , calling the reception 3 times to ask what is going on. It was freezing dead outside.They only replied they will call the driver but nothing happend. He finally arrived and when i arrived to the reception i wanted to make a complaint but Yvonne told me more or less that nobody cares and that i should keep the complaint for myself. Hated the place with no minibar , with a hard and small bed , with no room service even for water and with staff that does not care about my confort. There are many other hotels around there that are not much more expensive. Please avoid this one.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
MUCAP, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Dear Sir,

thank you for the time you took to review our hotel. I apologize for the bad stay experience you had, especially for the long waiting time. It seems like nothing worked out for you.

We did change our shuttle company in January and fair enough, there were quite a few operational difficulties in the beginning. Meanwhile these things have been sorted out and the inexpensive service runs smoothly from 4:00am to 11:45pm.

I had a long talk with our 1st year apprentice Yvonne about how you perceived her reaction to your complaint. Please also accept her apologies. This is definitely not what she intended to transport. Yvonne also confirmed that she did not charge you for the shuttle service.

After reading that "nothing but the best" describes your travel style I am not surprised that our hotel did not qualify for you. We are a midmarket hotel with fair rates und equivalent service. Holiday Inn Express is not a 5* brand. I recommend the Kempinski, which is part of the airport complex and a very fine hotel for your next time at Munich Airport. This will surely be a better choice.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is an excellent place to stay, especially if you have an early flight out of Munich. We arrived early and were checked in immediately. The use of internet in the lobby was free with a password issued by the English speaking staff (that did have to be renewed/refreshed every 30 minutes, also with no charge) We were given direction (within walking distance) to a very nice Italian restaurant where we enjoyed a nice meal with wine a good German bier. My husband and I highly recommend this hotel. Note: the bed is a standard double size if you are a tall or large person (s) you need to know this or at least ask if there are any rooms with larger beds. We liked the idea that we could open the window and get fresh air and hear the planes from the nearby airport, no problem as it was like having a noise machine with you. There was an excellent selection of choices for breakfast included at no charge and the shuttle (prompt and on time) service at 8 Euros was very reasonable. We would definitely stay in this hotel again if in the area

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear Grantofour61,

thank you very much for your very positive review. I appreciate reading that you liked staying with us.

Next time around I recommend the rustic Bavarian restaurant, which is a bit further down the road. Just the right place if you are looking for a hearty meal and fair prices.

Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed at Holiday Inn Munich airport on the first night of our arrival to Bavaria. We decided to spend the night at the airport, and head into town next morning. This time we took both of our sons (9 and 3) with us. We arrived by a shuttle bus (only 8 EUR / room / way). It is advisable to book a shuttle with a hotel beforehand, as it is only an 8 seat minibus. The hotel mentioned that there is a public bus going to the hotel as well, but we did not try it - would probably be the same cost for 4 of us. As we arrived quite late, we did not loook for a place to have dinner.
There is a TV next to the reception with flight departure status.
The room with a queen bed and a sofa bed was not big, but quite convinient. It had all what you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express hotel. Breakfast was of course included and consisted of cold meats, cheese, pastries, fruit and juices / tea / coffee. Overall, we had a very good stay after late arrival into Munich. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a comfortable stay especially before an early morning flight.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
MUCAP, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport, responded to this review, February 14, 2011
Dear YaroslavP,

Thank you very much for the time you took to review the Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport. We are happy to read about your positive stay experience and hope to see you back!

Arndt Writzel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2010

Great breakfast - it starts at 4 AM for the benefit of early morning travelers, such as ourselves. A clean and well-maintained facility, especially for the number of folks processing through there. They charged for parking, which was not unexpected or unusual in Europe. It was 8 euro a night. Although there was a charge for an internet connection on one's own computer, there were two free internet terminals and a printer in the lobby which I used without any problems. They also have screens in the lobby with the most up to date flight information. Rooms were small but efficient.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
MUCAP, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport, responded to this review, December 28, 2010
Dear Jamieson1,

thank you very much for your positive review. Your review sums up our goal to provide down to earth, friendly and efficient services and products.

We hope to see you back soon. Thank you very much for choosing Holiday Inn Express!

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

Spent one night prior to flight out of Munich. Good value and location. Very modern. Good sized bathroom. Free 30 minutes internet in business center. Free breakfast. Pay to park. Good dinner suggestion. Very obnoxious man drinking at the bar. Staff did not cut off serving him alcohol even though he fell outside and was obviously over the top drunk.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Okteach_61,

Thank you very much for the time you took to review the Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport. We are happy to read about your overall positive stay experience!

We had a meeting with all bar staff reinforcing the importance of responsibly serving alcohol. Thank you for your critical comment in this matter.

Arndt Writzel

Been to Holiday Inn Express Munich Airport? Share your experiences!