“Superb Chill Out Tour” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 9 activities in Shinagawa
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Want to see the real Tokyo and Kyoto? Then hire one of our private tour guides or join one of our group tours. Friendly, personable and passionate local guides and custom designed itineraries from local experts who really care. Be a part of Tokyo or Kyoto, not just a tourist.
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Superb Chill Out Tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Just got back from a wicked 2 week holiday in Japan! We used Backstreet Tours in Tokyo and they were superb! After the first few days trying to get our bearings and finding a bit all go, we decided to take a guided tour - wish we had done it sooner! We opted for the chill out day tour which showed us a completely different side to Tokyo - loved the Japanese Garden with a stop off in the Japanese Tea Room by the lakel. And the lunch provided later was unbelievably delicious! There was a vegetarian on the tour which I thought would be a problem given that Japan has very few vegetarians, but Backstreet had phoned ahead so an absolute feast was laid on for her! We also got to see a Shinto wedding taking place in the temple which even though it was raining was a beautiful sight.

Our guide Minoko was very knowledgeable and picked up whether we needed longer or whether to move on to the next destination which made the tour feel very relaxed. There was only four of us on the tour which made it more personal and I would imagine if it had been a large group it would be difficult to keep everyone together with Tokyo being so busy!

Booking through their website was easy and emails were responded to very promptly. Overall, I would definitely recommend this tour company and will be using them again next time I visit Japan!

Visited October 2012
TBSG_Team, Owner at The Backstreet Guides - Day Tours, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thanks for your 'wicked' review! Glad you enjoyed it here and even the rain didn't put you off a walking tour with us. Your guides name was actually Mikiko...Japanese names can be so hard to remember I know!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 attraction reviews
“We are so glad we had a guide in Tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

We booked Backstreet Guides for our trip to Tokyo after finding them on the web. Rie was amazing. She took us to all the great spots a tourist family should go, and for the uninitiated, her knowledge of the rail system is amazing. If not for her I would still be looking for the right exit at Shinjuku Station. I recommend this service highly.

Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
“First time in Tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2012

The tour was tailored to our interests and was so easy to book. Rie is an excellent guide who knows Tokyo inside out and her extensive travels give her an interesting insight into Tokyo life to share. Her places to eat recommendations were fantastic! Rie is thoughtful and helpful guide who will transform your experience in Tokyo. Don't hesitate to book a tour with Backstreet guides. We are looking forward to seeing Rie on our next visit.

Visited June 2012
Singapore, Singapore
15 attraction reviews
“Helpful, budget friendly tours”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

I cannot recommend Backstreet Guides highly enough. I did some research for Tokyo guides, and found many of them to be the big bus, big dollar, canned tours. My in-laws met us in Tokyo, so it was important to me that we have a private guide. I was weary of the free guides, and was delighted to find Backstreet. I can't remember if I found them through trip advisor or the internet. Anyway, a few things:

1. Owen on email. Owen is a real pro. We had some logistical issues involving luggage, and he came up with a brilliant solution, so we could maximize sights during a travel day (to kyoto). He was very quick to answer my emails, and put together two separate itineraries for us. We did a Tokyo city tour and a Hakone/Fuji tour. It was nice to have a point of contact, plus he was kind enough to advise me on some other things not related to the tour. Love Owen.

2. Payment/Cost. For a group of 4, these tours were a great price. Making payment was simple, done over paypal. No issues at all with security or confusion about what is, and is not included.

3. Our guide, Rei was just lovely. She was prompt and well dressed. Her English was good, and she was able to answer many of our questions. We were with her for 2 days total. The only thing that might help is on the Hakone/Fuji tour, to give an overview in the morning recapping what we are doing. We took many forms of transportation, one right after the other (as was necessary), but there were a few points where we were confused about why we were in such a hurry. Other than that, it was a real pleasure being in Rei's guidance.

4. Use of Public Transport: One thing we liked about Backstreet was that we learned how to use the Tokyo metro/trains while on tour. She showed us how to work the machines and all that. We were pros by the time we left Tokyo. NOTE: If you can, validate your Japan Rail tickets at Tokyo Station BEFORE you do the tour. Or at least run it by Owen whether you will need to or not.

Like I said, compared to other guides (Michellin, etc.), these guides are a steal. If you are a serious budget traveler, like a backpacker, they might be out of your price range. But if you're budget conscious and traveling with in-laws or kids, this is a great find. Look, you don't want to be responsible for shuffling everyone all over one of the biggest cities in the world, do you? I didn't. I wanted to trust my lovely in-laws, my husband and myself to the care of professionals.

Enjoy!

Visited April 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent tour and guide”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We were a large group - total of nine people . Backstreet Guides were soooo helpful in organising an itinerary to suit everyone - no mean feat ! We had teenagers ,vegetarians and one Muslim. The booking system was simple and efficient and great value for money. Our guide Hiro was fantastic ! She taught us how to use the subway which gave us confidence to travel solo the next day. Hiro was obliging and very knowledgeable and had a great sense of humour. The highlight of our trip was seeing the Emperor entering the Imperial Palace.
Make sure you have comfortable shoes !
We are happy to recommend Backstreet Guides to anyone travelling to Tokyo.

Visited January 2012
TBSG_Team, Owner at The Backstreet Guides - Day Tours, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Thank you for your review. So lucky to actually see the emperor. If you are with a 'Backstreet Guide' you never know what you might see, Well done Hiro! For large family groups or groups of friends it is such good value for money to hire one of our private guides...we just can't promise the emperor...!