“Nice room and friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

George Hotel
Market Place, Castle Cary BA7 7AH, England   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Castle Cary
Saffron Walden
“Nice room and friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

I was presently surprised given some of the reviews. Right from the start - when I booked the room on the phone the staff were friendly and helpful. I wasn't sure if my dog would be with me so to accomadation either option I stayed in room 11. This is in the outside courtyard, so no corridor noise or doors slamming etc. The room had everything I needed for a comfortable stay - iron, hair dryer, tea/ coffee. The information pack was very helpful and the free wi-fi was fast (a bonus as I was travelling for business). The room was tastfully decorated and clean. Check in was fast and again the staff were brilliant. Parking is a bit limited but wasn't a problem as parked on the street just a short walk away. The only suggestion I have is that a few biscuits would have been a bonus (my fault as missed lunch), the bed was a little soft for me and the shower was over the bath (just a personal dislike of mine). Otherwise couldn't fault it. For the price it is well worth it - comfortable and friendly!

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

78 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We arrived late afternoon to check in. Rang bell on reception desk several times and no-one responded - just one member of staff to cover reception and bar, who said he would check us in when he had finished serving in the bar. The room we were allocated over the front of the hotel was small with tired decor but was clean . We decided to eat in the bar in the evening. We were given a menu and were told that one dish (haddock) was not available. As we only eat vegetarian and fish there was little choice - I chose the fish cakes and was told these were not available either so opted for the only other non-meat option - fish an chips. We ordered desert my husband had icecream which was fine but I had ordered the brownie which they had attempted to warm in the oven unsuccessfully, and was stale. At no point were we asked if we had enjoyed our stay, which given the competition out there is a mistake. Clearly we will not be staying at the hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

we arrived at the end of lunch service, asked for a sandwich told none available, can we have afternoon tea then? no , how about a scone then? no, what about a toasted tea cake? the young waiter went to ask, he came back and said its at the managers discreation. not sure what that ment.
Ok then 4 tea cakes 2 coffees and two tea`s please do you have soya milk no, do you have flora as cant eat butter no.
This is 2013 come on you can do better than that, soya milk in a hotel should be available you can buy small cartons in most suppermarkets, most commercial kitchens do use floria or some sort of margerine as their are lots of vegetrians who dont eat butter. we did get our toasted tea cake and drinks but left thinking wont be going back there, you are in the service industery but offer no service were not helpful and one got the feeling could not care less.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dungi_1, Owner at George Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
I am sorry to hear of your complaint. I have spoken to the members of staff that were working that day and as advertised our food times for lunch are between the hours of 12.00-2.45pm. After these hours we offer a selection of cakes, biscuits and tea cakes that were all available. No where do we state that we were offering scones or afternoon tea. In response to the other complaints, our kitchen uses local farmhouse butter for cooking and to accompany food. We do not wish to stock such products such as margarine. We have taken the point about the soya milk on board but as we have not had a general requirement for the product we don't stock it.
Yeovil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

A lunch for 24 diners all pre-ordered from a simple menu should have been so easy and enjoyable. Sat at three tables the food arrived so slowly that some were virtually finished before others had even started. Portions were small but neatly served on cold plates. Some vegetables were undercooked. All this in a splendid dining room but any sense of occasion was lost because of the disappointing food and service.
It was supposed to be a special lunch and I paid our bill in full. My comments have been acknowledged without explanation or apology.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
plymouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed in January so there was no pressure on the bookings. Arriving at lunchtime when there was a function going on for about 20 people in one of the dining rooms, (the average age of which suggested that they were affluent retirees, perhaps on a rotary do), it was a trifle haphazard even deciding where to go to check in. Lunchtime remained packed but I was shown to a room in the main part of the house which was characterful, (by that I mean I had to duck to get into it), slightly small, but absolutely immaculate. The bar area and restaurant is (slightly too) full of old furniture, or new but solid furniture that fits in well with its overall Victorian feel with a nice roaring fire in one area, big leather chesterfields in another, a little private dining room with crisp white linen in another,etc.etc.
The menu looked inviting, with all the right locally sourced emphasis on provenance and a great choice and in fact the lunch I ate was totally splendid and very reasonably priced.
The price I paid for the room was reasonable and although the bar was extremely quiet in the evening, (the grey pound seems unaccustomed to coming out at night) overall i felt warm, happy and content.
I also stayed at the slightly cheaper accommodation down the road in Castle Cary for one night too, which turned out to be one of the most miserable nights ever.
But this is not a comparison. On its own merits, I rate the George highly. It may not have the amenities of an homogeneous executive hotel, but you would not catch me dead in one of those anyway.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bermuda
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Charming historical family run country hotel, in centre of a bustling little town with lots of interesting shops and eateries. From the very start I was made to feel welcome, and by the end of the week I felt like I was part of the family. My room was warm and cosy with a comfortable bed and a huge bathroom. Service throughout my stay was impeccable. The piece de la resitance was a fabulous 'homey' bar with a roaring fireplace, good wine, 5 star food and oustandingly helpful and friendly staff, which was full every night with patrons both local and otherwise offering lively, interesting and humorous conversation to top off the day. A must stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
somerse
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We ate a few times at the George
We stayed

Met friends

Everytime we go there it's
Friendly clean
service is fantastic
Warm cosy
All the staff make you welcome

The food is great
The rooms are clean

Well worth a visit

• Stayed January 2013

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!