“Loved it - highly recommend staying here” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aizuya Inn

You added Aizuya Inn to your Saves list
Aizuya Inn
2.0 of 5 Japanese Guest House   |   2-17-2 Kiyokawa, Taito 111-0022, Tokyo Prefecture (Ueno, Asakusa)   |
Ranked #10 of 42 Specialty lodging in Taito
Certificate of Excellence 2014
New Zealand
“Loved it - highly recommend staying here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed here for two nights and I had such a fantastic stay. The staff were so welcoming and helpful. The place is really clean and warm and really nicely decorated throughout. The showers are coin operated but they are great showers and very clean. On my last morning I had a Japanese breakfast from the restaurant that is part of the hostel and it was really excellent.

The location is fine - it's not that central but I found it relatively easy to get around and as I wasn't staying up too late partying it wasn't a problem. The area felt safe to me, I never had any worries.

Thanks for a fantastic stay!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

I chose Aizuya Inn as my base when I first traveled solo to Tokyo for 3 days based on the following factors: location, the inn's atmosphere, staff, and it's reputed good record for cleanliness.

I found the inn very charming and clean. Most people would say that the rooms are tiny, but in my opinion, the 3-tatami room suits me fine since I was by myself. The futon provided was not the most comfortable, but it is bearable. It got quite chilly during early morning when I went there in May, so requesting an extra blanket is best. For some reason, the window had a metal lock/stopper on the side so I wasn't able to close it completely when it was getting cold. There was also a time when apparently some drunk people were out at the streets early morning talking loudly, and I woke up from my sleep. But this is something the owner can't control, so request another room away from the street side if that happens to you.

The washrooms are super clean and fragrant. The bathroom showers are coin operated. It is 100 yen for 5 minutes, but stopping the water also stops the timer - so no need to panic there! :) I always brought 2-3 coins with me at first just in case, but soon I found that 1 coin is already sufficient. Hot water is available and in my experience, it does not come out slow at all. Tip: bring your own flip flops for showering.

The inn's proximity to the Minamisenju station in Tokyo is only a few blocks away, which is good. Once you get to the train station, anywhere in Tokyo is already within reach. You will have to pass by some inner streets to get to where the inn is situated. There are old people who sometimes loiter around the streets - just don't pay them attention and they will not mind you. I encountered a drunk old man one time when I was walking back to the inn, but I just went ahead and walked straight pass - thinking that I do have the physical advantage just in case this 'oji-san' wants some trouble. But streets in Tokyo are for the most part safe and many people still walk or stroll around in their bikes even at night, so no need to worry. In any case, being alert and cautious doesn't hurt.

There's no charge using the internet, which was good. But the computers were evidently quite old, and slow. I found it hard typing some characters at first because the keyboard is not western style. But these are just minor things, and those bringing their laptop with them won't be bothered.

Lastly, I would like to commend the Aizuya staff for a great job overall and for being nice and super helpful to me. On the day I was about to check out, I requested for an extension to 11 am because I was planning to go to Asakusa temple in the morning and returning at 10 am for check out was too soon for me. Good thing I already packed my bags. They suggested that I can just check out earlier before leaving to Asakusa, and then offered to keep my bags at the inn until I pick them up whenever I need to during the day after I return from my side trips. I appreciate that they understood my situation and gladly helped me out.

Overall, amidst all the minor things I mentioned, I had a good stay at Aizuya Inn. It is definitely worth "checking in"!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Decent location, friendly and helpful staff, good facilities, and can't beat the price. I stayed here for 7 nights, and while the rooms are rather small, what do you expect - it's Tokyo! I did find a cockroach in my room one night, and the neighbourhood is a bit shady, but the interesting locals were mostly just friendly. For any backpackers looking for a cheap staging point for Tokyo, look no further.

Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

Tokyo was my last stop of 5 months around the world and this was the best place of the whole trip at combining the cleanliness and efficiency of a decent hotel with the welcome and friendliness of a good hostel. So much so that I decided to make the Aizuya Inn my base in Japan and had 3 separate stays here. It was nice to be welcomed back like an old friend.

Each room was spotless, light and airy (I didn't need the air con in May), laid out with tatami mats and quiet at night, even those facing the street. Some were quite small but still fine for a single traveller with a big pack. At the end of the hall are toilets and washing facilities, again always clean. Whilst the showers were coin operated and located on the ground floor I never felt intimidated going downstairs in the morning, this is how many hostels are after all.

The location is fine, a fairly quiet neighbourhood. You can walk to Asakusa for the temples, and its about 8-10mins walk to Minami Senju for both metro and JR line which are both useful even though the tourist spots of Shinjuku and Shibuya are on the other side of town. Most importantly for me the neighbourhood felt safe, I often walked back at night on my own without any concerns.

Without doubt the greatest assets are the staff and the communal area. Its not a partying place but its good for meeting other travellers. The front room area facilitates this naturally. Everyone says hello when coming in, using the PCs or eating, although you can keep to yourself if you want to. All the staff were kind, helpful and happy to offer information on the city. I'm not good with names (or spellings) but Raoul and Kimon in particular were lovely, and this led to a few late discussions on Anglo-Danish-Japanese cultural differences that made my stay more memorable.

Room Tip: 4.5 tatami room 1st fl, front was light and airy
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Miami
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Had to stay her for one night this trip and Aizuya was a perfect choice. Rooms are small but clean and the free wireless internet coupled with the travel info in the main lobby is really helpful. Neighborhood isn't the best but felt safe always. If you need to save money. This is the place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Munich, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

I stayed here over New Year 2010 / 2011 and found the hotel to be pretty average in all respects, and pretty much what I expected for the fairly cheap rate I paid.

As others have said, the hotel is not in one of the better areas of Tokyo. There are some old drunks walking around but they are not threatening at all and they just get on with their own business. The hotel is quite easy to reach from Narita airport by either the Skyliner or the standard train service, with a change at Nippori. The actual location is OK for getting around, and is handy for the sights at Akasuka but you do end up spending quite a lot of time on the subway getting to other main sights which are invariably on the other side of the city. Using the PASMO card, this was a simple enough task and the subway map isn't as scary as it first seems.

My room was very small, but roughly what I expected for the price (although I got a much bigger room in a nicer hotel for the same price in central Kyoto later in my stay). It was clean, and there was a TV and a heater which was handy as the room got cold at night. There was a little noise from the street (a drunk coughing and spitting) but nothing too bad.

The showers are 100 yen for 5 minutes, which is plenty of time - and they're quite good showers too. I was a little disappointed that the bar was not open over the new year period due to staff holidays, so I didn't really get to speak to any of the other guests (there is a small space downstairs where you could gather). Free WIFI internet was handy.

Overall, my stay here was fine although if I ever visited Tokyo again I'd stay in a more central location.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

Aizuya Inn is a really nice place. Everytime is saw new people, who were planning their trips. The staff is really nice and will answer your question.
The rooms are small, but enough to sleep and let your stuff there. You sleep there on the floor with a mattress (typical for japan). The walls are thin, but you can sleep after an exciting day. Many building in Japan are build that way.
They got a nice roof, where you can smoke or just chill.
The area isn't the most beautiful area, but you feel save and it's kind of urban.
I was happy to stay there and I will stay there again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Aizuya Inn? Share your experiences!