“room too tiny, can barely move around” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   2-1-5 Kaminarimon, Taito 111-0034, Tokyo Prefecture   |
Ranked #22 of 43 Specialty lodging in Taito
3.5 of 5 stars 80 Reviews
Jakarta, Indonesia
“room too tiny, can barely move around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

stayed there for two nights for our trip to Tokyo. we got lost a little but it was actually really close to Asakusa metro station on Ginza line. first impression was good, staff was really nice and kind, her English was good and she kindly answered all our questions. but room did not fit our expectation. we booked twin private room and we got room on second floor. room was really tiny, I think it was only 2x2,5 meter. there was a big bunk bed there, so my friend and I couldn't even move around. she had to sit on my bed to open her luggage, because we didn't even have any space. we deliberately booked a private room, but I don't know why, room was located between one mixed dorm and one male dorm, so it wasn't felt private at all. shower room was tiny and mixed between male-female. toilet was also tiny and when we sit at closet, wall was literally in front of our eyes. the positive sides are its location (veryyy close to subway station, I suggest you to buy subway one day pass) and great, smooth Wi-Fi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We touched down into Japan ahead of time for our check in time but the staff were most accommodating and helpful. We had stayed at the Khaosan Annex and although this one is smaller, it makes up for the location as it’s right around the corner from the trainlines and Sensoji Temple.

We hired a private double room, which consisted of a bunkbed. Room was a bit small as we had two suitcases but that’s the novelty of staying in Japan hostel. Toilets and bathroom were neat and tidy and so was the common room downstairs. We found ourselves buying from the convenience store and eating back at the common and mingling with other fellow travellers.

Staff were most friendly and knowledgeable and we’ve made some pretty good friends out of this trip with them as well as other travellers.

We’ll be coming back to stay with Khaosan in the near future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2012

This hostel was wonderful. My boyfriend and i had a private twin room which was very small- once our bags were on the floor there is no space to step! But besides that it was great, VERY clean and safe. The social area (kitchen and lounge) was small but cosy, due to this we met some very nice people.
The staff are great, they give you tips on where to go, how to get there and we even lost our video camera and they rang places for us to ask if they had found it! (we did get it back in the end)
The area is the best possible place to stay, right in the centre of Asakusa- personally my favourite district in Tokyo due to having shops, temples, markets, cheap resturants etc.

I would stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Was very shocked to find that we booked the wrong Khaosan in Tokyo...It was get very confusing on the website but nonetheless, it was their fault for my lack of knowledge. At the end of the stay I was very content and got very used to it. Internet was super fast and very good and the location is fantastic!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We didn't have the nice view and the bunkj beds squeaked a lot when turning over but, everything else was really nice. We found we were able to use the tiny kitchen by picking off hours when most people were out. The location is really nice and everything is clean clean clean which I really enjoyed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

It has been a while since I visited Khaosan Tokyo but I give this hostel and its owners/staff credit for a fantastic and memorable trip to Tokyo. Very kind and helpful staff. Fun fun fun atmosphere and very inviting even to a solo traveler. The location is fantastic and the rooftop patio view is amazing. I could never say enough good about this place to do it justice. I am now married and cannot wait to return with my wife to share with her the fun I had.

Room Tip: I bunked in a shared dorm room and had no problems at all. Tokyo has many things to do and once I we...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Stayed in female for a few nights. I am lucky to have a bed close to the heater. Staff quite friendly. Provide many useful information. Also with free tea & Coffee.

Location is very good. It is 3 mins walk from the Asakusa station as long as you come out of the right exit. (There are not many Japan stations have elevators and it really killed with my luggage.) Also, the Asakusa Temple, Tokyo Tree are nearby. Can actually walk to Ueno Park within 30mins.

Will stay back if come to Tokyo again.

Room Tip: dorm bed at the end of room got a heater mounted on the wall, which is quite warm during winter nigh...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Been to Khaosan Tokyo Original? Share your experiences!