“Decent room, great service, very convenient” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   7-2-5 Ueno, Taito 110-0005, Tokyo Prefecture   |
Ranked #44 of 98 Hotels / Ryokan in Taito
4.0 of 5 stars 37 Reviews
Honolulu
“Decent room, great service, very convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Pros: Very near Ueno Station, friendly staff, some of them speak a small amount of English, very accommodating staff, good breakfast, clean room.

Cons: Dated hotel, my room smelled musty, no view from my room except of concrete walls - as in a concrete wall around the hotel, not the next hotel.

I stayed here for one night. It is very close to Ueno Station. Exit the Asakusa Exit of Ueno Station, go down the stairs, cross the street at the crosswalk (no light) to your left, turn left after you've crossed the street and walk not even half a block. Hotel will be on your right hand side.

Their staff is very friendly. Check in time was 1PM. I arrived at 10AM. I paid for my room and asked if the hotel would hold my luggage since I was meeting a friend in Shibuya. The staff were not only happy to hold my luggage but when I got back, my suitcase was in my room. I booked a Double Room since it wasn't too much more than a Single Room and I'm glad I did. The rooms are small...but this is Tokyo after all...I've been in smaller. The bed was a typical bed...pretty much the same as most of the hotels I've stayed in (in Japan). The bed was almost the same size as a Full Size bed in America...just a bit smaller. I paid approximately 1,000 yen for breakfast...Japanese breakfast. More on that later. It's expensive for "breakfast", but it wasn't expensive for what I got, plus most of the places open in the morning with breakfast type foods weren't on my low carb diet (mostly pastries and stuff).

As mentioned earlier, my room was musty smelling, but it was only for one night and under $100. The room itself was clean, there was a flat screen TV, small desk, no closet but they did have pegs and hangers for your clothes. There is a built in alarm clock, the bathroom has shampoo, conditioner and body soap. When I checked in, the staff also gave me a bag of lotions and some sort of bubble bath. My A/C worked great, as a matter of fact it started to get cold in my room so I turned it down. Many places I've been to in Japan, the A/C doesn't get very cold. My room was quiet. The only time I could hear other people talking was when I walked down the hall. My room was 702, a corner room.

Breakfast is served between 7 and 9AM in the restaurant located in the basement of the hotel. It's nothing fancy, but the food was good. When you walk in, all the tables are set with tray already with all the cold items like tsukemono (pickled veggies), nori (seaweed to eat with your rice), tamagoyaki (Japanese fried egg rolled up), etc. After you show your breakfast tagged attached to your room key, you take a seat and less than a minute later the waitress brought out my grilled salmon, miso soup and rice. It was very filling for me. I saw a group of Japanese men asking for natto which I didn't want and they also asked for extra rice and weren't charged. The waitress also brings green tea and a small cup of orange juice. I asked for a glass of water and if I weren't so full, I'm sure they would have given me more orange juice if I asked.

Internet - there is a Wired Lan jack, but no connector point (which looks similar to the one on a phone line). The hotel I used in Takasaki did have a connector point and my netgear thing has a jack. So basically I had two jacks. There is wireless internet in the hotel lobby, but the lobby is small and crowded and they allow smoking. After breakfast I took my iPad down there and of course, as soon as I connected, two people sat down to smoke. Yuck.

The lobby looks a bit crowded...there were about 4-6 chairs around two tables, people's luggage, two computers on a desk, coffee machine, large TV, some other things and a full size copy machine. When it's empty, it felt fine...but when it's full of people, it feels cramped.

On my last day in Tokyo, check out time was 10AM, so the hotel let me leave my luggage in the lobby while I ran around. I came back and still had 40 minutes to kill before leaving for the airport and they were happy to let me hang out in the lobby, they even turned the TV on for me.

Ueno station is an easy place to get around. I was able to get to Harajuku and Shinjuku by taking the JR Yamanote line, less than 200 yen (about 20 minutes). I was also able to get onto the Hibiya Subway Line from Ueno Station to Tsukiji Station (then walked to Tsukiji Fish Market) - around 15 minutes. The Keisei station (airport train) is across the street from Ueno Station (approx $30 to the airport, 45 minute ride). There are also many stores and restaurants in the station.

On the other side of the station is Ueno Park, if you have time, talk a walk around. Temples, gardens, museums, zoo, etc. It's free to walk around the park, but you have to pay to get into the zoo, etc. I spent a good 1 1/2 walking around the park and still didn't get to see half of it.

Room Tip: 702 was a Double, corner room. No view, but quiet and the A/C worked great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
HK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Its location is its only selling point. Extremely close to the Ueno station and only around 10 mins walk away from the airport skylines. With a Family Mart around the corner and a street market close by, there is nothing you should be worried about considering shopping.

My only complaint is its very tiny room. We booked a Japanese style one which they said can accommodate three people. But we ended up getting a very cramped room with almost no space for our luggage. My mattress blocked the doorway and we almost couldn't even open the fridge when our mattresses were laid out.

Staff can speak good English and we could check in the room at around 1pm, which was earlier than scheduled. So their service is actually not bad. Just that if you are thinking about booking a triple room, you should reconsider and book two rooms instead.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I needed a reasonably priced hotel near Ueno Station for a three-day trip to Japan with destinations along the Marunoichi metro line and the Tohoku Shinkansen line, flying out of Narita via the Keisei Skyliner express train service, with a lot of baggage to carry on each leg of my trip. There is no station closer to Ueno JR station than this: you literally step out the Asakusa exit, cross the street and walk a few doors down to the hotel.

I was pleasantly surprised with the price, the quality of the accommodation, the staff, and above all the soundproofing. The price had a small premium built into it for location, but I more than made it back on cab fares and time saved. I stayed in a Japanese-style room, 7.5 tatami mats in size, which was plenty for me and would likely even have been fine for my family. It was clean, up-to-date, with cable TV and WiFi Internet. The staff were extremely accommodating, had no trouble with my leaving my bags with them from my early morning arrival until the evening when I finally returned to check in, recognized me and addressed me by name each time they saw me, and were exceedingly polite. I do not know if they speak English; I spoke with them only in Japanese. I was expecting to hear street and/or train noises given the location; instead I heard absolutely no noises from outside my room. I would happily stay here again every time.

Room Tip: If you're comfortable with a Japanese-style room, they seem to be more deeply discounted.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

We are filly of 3. We had a Japanese style room. It is rather small. Once they put on futons (mattress), we have no space any more for our luggages. May be it is normal in Tokyu.

The hotel location is excellent! Next to the Ueno train station and the beautiful Ueno park. We were able to enjoy watching cherry blossoms everyday!

• Stayed April 2012
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

On the whole it is close to Ueno station and is in a very clean area.
Staff are polite and friendly and went out of their way to help us in everyway.

They even agreed to keep our luggage 6 additional suitcases when we went to
Kyoto.

This helped us travel light to other places in Japan.
It is always helpful to take a class in Japanese before you visit the country

Vijay

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

I stayed here for several days on business and found it extremely good. Jetlag had the better of me sadly at the time but the location is right across from Ueno station if you follow the Asakusa exit (nearby Central exit) so transport around the key areas of Tokyo are never far off.

Pillow was a bit hard but that was not a big issue to me - if you're travelling by yourself or on business with colleagues this hotel is extremely good value without going down £20 or so for a ryokan. Cleanliness and service are excellent - they called to make sure I was OK after I slept in one day due to jetlag and saved me losing a day I could have spent relaxing before meetings for starters!

I stayed in a western room as it was cheaper at the time and room size is standard for a Tokyo hotel and you will find it has a bath/shower + toilet ensuite and air conditioning for hot days. Wifi comes as standard and if you prefer the staff can loan you a free wired-connection kit for your internet instead.

My advice is - if you speak enough Japanese to greet the staff, ask for your room key number etc then this is an ideal hotel for you - don't be put off anyway :). I was certainly not disappointed by what I found!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel New Ueno? Share your experiences!