“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 stars 255 Reviews
Aussie in Italia
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2009

Many reviews on this site seem to be quite negative about Kimi Ryokan. I have to say my experience was a good one at this ryokan. Whilst i acknowledge that the bathrooms were not as clean as i would have liked and some of the staff were not the most helpful, I think on the whole, the place was a good one to stay at. Reasonably priced and good location. Single rooms were big enough for one person and luggage. Heaters in room made the place cosy and warm. I did not utlise the shared common areas as I was in Tokyo and wanted to explore this great city, not sit around a ryokan-hostel! To sum up, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2009

Great stay. I would HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who wants to escape the high price of hotels in Tokyo. In addition to staying here, I also stayed a couple nights at the mega-hotel Shinagawa Prince. I stayed at the Shinagawa Prince's East Tower which is its single rooms. They are long and narrow rooms. While it was nice too, it was not much larger than this double room at Kimi Ryokan. Obviously, it had amenities such as a bathroom and a television etc in the room. However, overall, my stay at Kimi Ryokan, for less than half the price, was definitely AS COMFORTABLE AS THE HUGE HOTEL. A double room at Kimi goes for about $50 USD. A single, teensy, narrow room at Shinagawa Prince goes for about $90USD.

Here's my video of the room on my Youtube channel: [-]

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

I've just been travelling throughout Japan with my friends, and this was by FAR the worst of all the places we stayed in.

There are other reviews that rave about the cleanliness, but I would beg to differ. Their standard is the MINIMUM standard expected in Japan, when you take into account the culture. Any ryokan you go to would be at least this clean, and they are about the same price. Hostels are very much western culture, and so cannot be compared to Japanese inns.

In addition, their so-called 'double' rooms are TINY. They are single rooms with an extra futon added in, so you can imagine how little room there is for anything else, such as walking, let alone luggage. Of course, they have rooms meant for two, but with the extra cost you may as well go to a much better ryokan.

Finally, the staff are quite impolite. I had the constant impression that they would rather be doing anything other than serving me. This was in stark contrast to all the other places we stayed in, where the staff were always friendly and helpful. And although they have a so-called 'business centre', it is simply a fax machine in the staff room, where you give your documents to the staff and they fax it for you. Which would be okay, if they knew how to fax documents. The person who received my fax got a blank piece of paper.

All in all, a very disappointing place. I would recommend looking for other places. Any ryokan in Japan would be cleaner and friendlier than this, and the price would not differ by much.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Very simple - DO NOT STAY in Kimi Ryokan!

My friends and I stayed there for a few nights and here is what I have to say...

1. The rooms are SUPER squishy. They basically have a single sized room (already small for one person), chuck a second futon (Japanese style bed) in and call it a "Medium Double". With the two futons in the room there is barely enough space to walk - let alone put your luggage in.

2. The showers are really really bad. There is one handle/knob thing which basically you need to turn. So to get to warm/hot water, you need to turn through freezing cold water first. Not only that, even after you got hot water, every now and then the water will go cold. Oh, and shampoo/soap is NOT provided! There is a bath on lvl2 (which has better shower thankfully) but you need to get the keys to the bath from the staff. The bath is usually taken by other customers - probably since the showers are so crap. Didn't actually use the "traditional Jap bath" because the water was cold....only used the shower in the bath.

3. Bad staff. Of the many many ryokans we stayed at throughout our 3week trip in Japan, Kimi Ryokan had the most impolite staff. They did speak English (though I do believe their native language is Chinese, one even told me he can't speak Japanese!), but they seem like they don't want to help, and being there at the reception is a chore for them. Every time you need to talk to them they seem unhappy and it really puts you off.

4. Every time you leave the ryokan they request that you return the keys to reception...fair enough request...however...they have no clue who lives in what room! Even on the last night of stay (we stayed ~5 nights or so) I deliberately said "Can I have my room key please?" ... and the guy looked at me as if I was insane and said "What room?". If they don't know what room we're in, then what is to say someone can't just ask for a random room key and go in? (Strange thing though is...even though they don't know what room you're in when you ask for room key, they know what room you're in when they ask for money!)

5. They do have a lounge/kitchen area which is nice (much needed due to super small size of rooms) however, since it all rooms are so small the lounge area is often crowded. So you have to squish past people to get water etc. Also, don't expect to cook in the kitchen - unless its just microwave food.

6. In general the whole combination of things just made the stay not very nice at all :(

I've read a few of the other comments (wish I had read them before booking Kimi Ryokan!) but for those who are interested in tatami mats/futons - yes Kimi Ryokan does provide them, but at the same token I would say all other ryokans provide them too!

So I say..look for another Ryokan - you'll most definitely get the tatami mats/futons, better service, a tea set to use (very nice!), more room, better atmosphere, nicer staff :)

As a quick summary....
0. Don't go to Kimi Ryokan
1. Rooms are WAY too small
2. Bad showers - no shampoo, no soap, limited hot water
3. Impolite/rude/bad staff
4. Dodgy security
5. Lounge area nice, but too many people
6. Bad atmosphere in general

ps. We stayed in a 6 ryokans and 2 hotels....all 6 ryokans had tatami mats/jap style living...so it's not *unique* look around and you're sure to find other places...and all other 7 accommodations had very nice/helpful staff even if they had difficulty with English (Kimi ryokan was an exception of course - bad staff)

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — rude staff
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
brisbane

A few things:

1. The staff at the reception were not very nice. (Though the cleaners, who are actually Japanese, are really nice). The people at reception kept bugging us to pay since the very first day we were there.

2. All the "don't do this" notices around the ryokan were making us feel the owners of hotel don't trust their customers - not a good feeling.

3. Quality of bathrooms are not so great. The showers don't work very well - need to use the bath which you need to ask the rude staff for.

4. The rooms are way too small. Were having trouble fitting 2 average sized suitcases into a room meant for 2 people. In the end we had to put their furnitures into one of their closets to solve this problem. Also, the lock on our room was not working properly.

Conclusion: We stayed there for 5 nights and have regretted it. Even though the ryokan was cheap, I'd rather spend a bit more to make my experience a better one.

Stayed January 2009
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2008

Convenience of location pretty average! We picked Kimis because my whole group were travelling with JR Rail Passes and wanted to stay on the JR rail line for convenience for day trips. It was only later that we realised that day trips out to Nikko, Kamakura and Hakone required us to travel 30-40min by local JR trains (slow!) to JR Tokyo, and to change from there. So if you have similiar plans, my advice is to pick accommodation on a JR station closer to Tokyo!!!! Ikebukuro is as far away as you can get.

Safety a bit of a concern! Kimis is about 7 minutes walk from the station, in a smal back alley. The suburb of Ikebukuro is a working class night area (not as seedy as Shinjuku) but lots of all night clubs in the area, which brings with it drunks in the wee hours. Two of my female friends left Kimis about 5am and were chased (literally!) to the station where they sought refuge in the police box. After this we didn't feel very safe travelling between the station and Kimis, and would tend to walk very fast!!

Cold showers suck! One several ocassions during our 3 night stay (was meant to be 4 but we left early) the showers would go cold half way through. In Tokyo Winter, this absolutely sucked. Not enough hot water boilers at Kimis.

Couldn't sleep - for many reasons!! Firstly, all the rooms are Japanese style tatami mats on the floor which meant that whenever a toilet was flushed, the building's old plumbing caused the floors to vibrate and made sleeping hard! I was woken up at all hours due to the toilets.

But this wasn't the only problem, the showers on the different floors aren't lined up, which meant that whenever someone on the floor below me showered, I was directly above the shower head and could hear every drop of water!! This might sound like a whinge. But to give you an idea of how loud the noise was, my IPOD was at 3/\4 full volume and I couldn't hear the music!!

It was absolutely ridiculous trying to sleep at Kimis when there were people showering at 1am, 2am, 3am (people getting back from clubbing), 4am (people leaving early for Tsukiji fish market), 5am (people doing day trips).

To make things worse, people were talking all through the night in the stairwell and the common areas. I could hear conversations word for word, one American guy about to start a rant about the oddities of Japanese culture said "Where I come from..." and I thought to myself, I don't care where you come from, shut up its 2am!!! The staff on night duty don't do anything about the noise.

Insect ridden! When we checked in, I found a yellow ant-like insect on my mattress (still not sure what it was). I also still have 6 damn itchy bites on my left hand and 2 on my face. Not a good look for upcoming Christmas parties.

Shower and toilet facilities are OK. Not as clean as other places I stayed in Japan, but better than most places like this in Europe! Rooms are a bit on the small side, quite basic, but OK.

DO NOT STAY HERE!! There are other places in Tokyo for around the same price, with better location where you can get a good nights sleep to recharge for a full day of travelling.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2008

I went to Tokyo, Japan in late Oct this year and wanted to experience the Ryokan culture there and managed to find Kimi Ryokan after recommendation from the forum in Tripadvisor and other website.

Is a bit far from Ikebukuro station but I guess most of the Ryokan are the same. The Ryokan is located away from the main roads at a quiet neighborhood.

When we checked in, the lady at the counter is from China and can speak Mandarin; it was so much easy to communicate. But the rest of the staff speaks decent English too.

We got to our rooms at the 3rd floor and our rooms were next to each other and the toilets and shower rooms are just outside our rooms. The rooms were the smallest I have stayed, with 2 big luggages; the room was pretty much occupied. But the smell of Tatami Mat makes the whole room unique.

Though the rooms were very small, but being a small size Asian gal is still not that bad and the bed was very comfortable and I did had 3 nights of good rest.

If I go back to Tokyo again, will definitely stay in Kimi Ryokan again!!

• Liked — The style of the accommodation
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kimi Ryokan? Share your experiences!