“Great budget accommodation for a hassle-free trip” 4 of 5 stars

|   1-25-33 Takadanobaba, Shinjuku 169-0075, Tokyo Prefecture   |
Ranked #20 of 72 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
4.0 of 5 stars 83 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
“Great budget accommodation for a hassle-free trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We stayed at Tama Ryokan during winter in Japan, and it was perfectly comfortable. We had a room on the ground floor at the back, and it was clean and very warm. The hosts were also very friendly and helpful. I didn't have a problem with the futon bed, although my boyfriend wasn't quite used to it. Bathrooms are shared, but the water was nice and hot which was great during the cold season. Although the hallway is a bit narrow, the room itself was big enough to accommodate 2 people comfortably. The room had heating/air-conditioning and a heated floor pad to which heated up the futon.

The best thing about Tama Ryokan is that it is near Takadanobaba station which is on the JR Yamanote line. This train line basically circles Tokyo, so it was very easy to get to places. For those with JR Rail Passes, it's an additional plus!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2010

I first visited Tama Ryokan almost a year previously. I was so impressed with its location, friendly staff and value for money that i made no hesitation in contacting Michael and Aiko to book rooms for myself and friends again.
Tama Ryokan maintains a peaceful environment with no curfew whilst allowing guests a convenience of location. Takodanobaba is a great spot on the Yamanote loop line close to the bustling centres of shibuya and shinjuku, and the inn is less than 5 minutes walk from the station. added to that is the Tozai subway line that runs right through the middle of Tokyo and is situated not 10 metres from Tama Ryokan's front door.
On the whole Both Michael and Aiko are two of the most wonderful people i have encountered in my time traveling. The friendly environment leads you to relax as if you were staying at a friends house. The Inn is very well maintained and the rooms very comfortable.
I would recommend Tama Ryokan to any and all travelers. They have a well maintained website that provides you with all details should you have any questions and I'm sure they would answer any questions put to them.

I would not hesitate to stay there again next time i am in Tokyo

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Nagoya, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I stayed in Tama Ryokan for a fortnight in September 2010, and the inn lived up to all of my expectations. It was clean and well-maintained, with a comfortable room, great air conditioning (vital given how hot and humid this month was!) and good facilities. The bathroom facilities are shared between rooms, but simply showering outside of peak times meant that I didn't ever have a problem with the shower room being engaged.

The inn is quite basic and travellers shouldn't expect a western-style hotel, but equally, you don't pay anything close to western hotel prices. Best of all, the location is fantastic - only a couple of seconds away from the Tozai subway line, which brings you across Tokyo to Tokyo Station and beyond, and just a couple of minutes from the Yamanote Line, which connects to all the major centres like Shinjuku and Shibuya. The local area is quite student-focused (Waseda university is only a short walk away) so it has lots of decent, cheap places to eat and drink.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We had a flyting visit to Tokyo in August (cut short because of work commitments) and found this ryokan an excellent centrally located stay, and wished we could have stayed longer.. We were travelling with small children and a teenager, often not an easy combination, and we were all made to feel very comfortable.
We had two rooms, and those in the dounwstairs had a better night's sleep as there was some nocturnal activity in the other rooms upstairs ("merry comings and goings!) but the rooms were both beautifully and simply laid out - and wonderfully cool on a searingly hot Tokyo night.
The owners went out of their way to help with any questions we had about the area, and in showing us around the ryokan. The chocolates left in the rooms were much appreciated too!
The location was great for travel around Tokyo, and perfect for a visit to the Ghibli Museum, which was our main reason for the trip. The area around has a great buzz, and all the shops you could need - including a fantastic English language bookshop where I bought a second-hand replacement for the guidebook i had forgotten!
The owners were very helpful and understanding when we had to cut our stay short, and on future visits to Tokyo we would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Tama Ryokan for a seven day vacation in Tokyo, and we could not be more pleased with our experience. After doing a little shopping around, it seems to be one of the best values for Japanese style rooms in Tokyo: a few other inns may be a a tiny bit cheaper (on the order of around 1000 yen a night), but they are off the beaten path. Comparatively, Tama Ryokan is less than a five minute's walk from the Yamanote and a literal stone's throw to the metro system. This proved to be invaluable when we wanted to get out to other neighborhoods in quick fashion.

The rooms are clean and attractively decorated (we stated in the Matsu room), and the whole of the house has a very homey feeling, in only the best of ways. Fresh cuttings of flowers and plants decorated the room and bathrooms, which was very nice, in my opinion. The owners helped us out with any questions we had (telephone usage, post office locations, where to get a cardboard box, etc.) and made every effort to assist us when needed.

Between the location, atmosphere, price, and wonderful owners, I'll be making sure I stay at Tama Ryokan the next time I visit Tokyo. A stay there is worth every yen you pay and more.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

I have been a customer of Tama Ryokan since 2004. I travel to Japan often to visit my children there! I have read some of the negative reviews on this site and I have to say that I think that in most cases they are due to a misunderstanding of Japanese culture. Ryokans are basically Japanese bed and breakfasts. In Tama is a unique experince in that the owner has lived in he build for many many years. The family still resides there. The ryokan is also their home. So that should shed some light on why there are certain rules. Many foreign visitors due not know all of the Japanese customs so when one is told about them they should take it as being bossy or controlling. It is only there attempt to save visitors from a potential embarrassing situation. If you are looking for a place with room service and your own bathroom then this is not the place for you. But, if you are looking for a unique and authentic Japanese experience and at a great deal then this is a great place. The location is excellent. just a few stops from many good locations and right off the Yamanote line. They have always been accommodating and they treat me like family when I am there. Will there be problems occasionally?? Of course but that is to be expected from any location. They go out of their way to make you feel comfortable. I am planning another trip next spring and I would not think of staying anywhere else when I'm in the area.

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Tama Ryokan was the first place we stayed at in Japan and really set the scene for what Japan (and Tokyo) was like.

The lady owner was very nice (although she looked quite busy) and did a great job showing us around the house and to our rooms. I was able to get the 2 best rooms available - Kame (the prettiest) and Hachijo (the largest). The rooms were 4000 Yen per person (for a family of 4) so was fairly cheap for a place in Tokyo. I believe the price stays the same all year round, just make sure you book early to avoid disappointment as there are only 6 rooms available.

Pros:
- Very clean, the owner seems to be constantly cleaning the house.
- Our futons were heated and layed out for us before we went to sleep (when we were out) so was quite comfortable and warm.
- Very traditional place, great for people wanting to get a taste of the lifestyle in Japan
- Cheap and close to transport and shops. The train station is only minutes away by foot, with an entrance right outside (depending on what line you want to catch).
- Free wireless internet throughout the house and PC in a common room on the ground floor
- Cats that wander around if you love animals. One of them kept walking into our room and sleeping on the futon, we love cats so was an extra treat.

Cons:
- It is a shared place so there will be noise outside your door and you have to share all the amenities. However as there are only 6 rooms on 2 levels, you will rarely see a person walking around or using amenities when you need it.
- There are cats for those who might be allergic to or dislike them
- The house is a bit small, especially the stairs so watch out at night
- There are many rules as the owner will explain to you. If you like lots of freedom, this might not be the place for you (as it was for my dad unfortunately...). Eg. you must change into slippers when you enter the house and take off the slippers when you enter your rooms. Do not place heavy bags on the tatami mats and change into toilet slippers when you go to the toilet and so forth.
- The double futon is quite small so be prepared to snuggle up if you ask for a double.

All in all, we loved this place and I would totally recommend it to anyone visiting Tokyo on a budget. I especially liked the cats :)

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Been to Tama Ryokan? Share your experiences!