“Meals Fit For the Imperial Family” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New York Grill

New York Grill
3-7-1-2 Nishishinjuku | 52F Park Hyatt Tokyo, Shinjuku 163-1052, Tokyo Prefecture (Shinjuku)
+81 3-5323-3458
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #12 of 5,228 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
Detroit
“Meals Fit For the Imperial Family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

For a little less than a hundred dollars (let's keep in mind this is Tokyo) you get a five course meal, attentive service, great food, and a ten million yen view of the city. I was there to celebrate a friend's birthday and we ordered the Kobe steak that's garnished with seasonal vegetables, and all I have to say is that it's the best steak I've had outside of Latin America! Prior to the steak they have a buffet table of hoer d' overs and desserts that's quiet enough to fill you up. Tea and coffee service follows your meal in which your waiter will whisk you to a different table with a great view!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
“Great View! Prices however are crazy and not aligned with service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

5 out of 5 for the view. at best 3 out of 5 for the food and the cost of the food. Probably better to have a drink at the bar and enjoy the view.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong, China
“Definitely one of the best views and meals ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were so pleasantly delighted at our New York Grill meal. Often times, restaurants with great views have mediocre food and we were incredibly pleased. The kobe was one of the best cuts of meat my husband or I have ever had and the pastrami was life changing. Overall, the meal is pricey but it is so worth it for 360 degree views of an incredible city, great live music and mouth-watering food.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Brooklyn, New York
“Great view, ok food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

This is indeed a very beautiful restaurant on the 65th floor of the Park Hyatt  hotel.
The views are spectacular and we were able to score a window seat.
My husband had the hakkaido steak which according to him was very good.
I had the tuna steak which was so so. The sides were nothing special, and I was not wowed by any means.
I am giving this 4 stars based on my husband's and my average rating (I would have given it a 3, especially given the steep prices).
Perhaps it was the cultural difference between a NY high end restaurant and a Tokyo one, but I did not feel the 5 star treatment. A few small things come to mind; the waiters seem stiff and a little disinterested, we waited far longer than we would have in a NY restaurant for water and bread, and when our wine came, we were not given a sip before the full glass was poured, which is what I would have expected.

All in all, average steakhouse fare at quite steep prices. If you are here for the view, you will not be disappointed. But just don't expect to be blown away by the food.

London, United Kingdom
“Come for the view, stay for the bar”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

From the moment you walk through the doors of the Park Hyatt, you’re reminded that this is a high-end establishment. But then it’s the little things that let it down – we arrived on time, were told the table wasn’t ready and were ushered into the bar. All good, but then we were asked to move out again to our table less than a minute later. Why bother?

For the meal itself, after (like others) inexplicably receiving the dessert menu as we sat down, my main course of steak – the star attraction at any place that has ‘grill’ in the name – was delivered barely lukewarm to the table and had to be returned. When you’re charging 7600 JPY for a main course, that’s unforgivable.

All that said, it is unquestionably a special venue and worth a visit for the view; you can get a window seat if you fight hard enough when booking. Where the restaurant falls down is at this price range, where food needs to be technically stunning and not just “pretty good”. With dinner for two, including wine and service easily coming to over 40,000 JPY, the maths just don’t add up. Let's assume it's down to the "view tax."