“Best Way to Eat Tempura Is Sit At The Counter” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tenkane, Shinjuku Odakyu HALC

Tenkane, Shinjuku Odakyu HALC
1-5-1 Nishishinjuku | Shinjuku Odakyu HALC1F, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture 160-0032, Japan
+81 3-3342-5601
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 5,012 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“Best Way to Eat Tempura Is Sit At The Counter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

There are many good tempura restaurants in Tokyo, I found it's the best way to eat it, is sat a counter facing the chef, hot and crispy from the fryer, is the name of the game, this restaurant is not hard to find, just outside of Shinjuku station, they serve lunch and dinner, price reasonable, chef don't speak English, I strongly suggest you sit at the counter, to taste the fresh hot crispy tempura as it mean to be.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Madrid
“High quality food inside authentic place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

If you are looking for eating a very good tempura in a authentic japonese place, this is probably your place but you must know you will be paid more than it is the real worth of the service. Very friendly staff. Although they do not speak english the make you easy to order offering fix menu.

Visited September 2013
London
“Lovely tempuras”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The restaurant was really packed so we were seated in a different room and unfortunately didn't get the pleasure of seeing the cook prepare the tempuras. I will be honest by saying that when the first 2 tempuras were served, my first thought was 'this is tiny' for the price I am going to pay. But they kept on coming over and over again to the point where I could hardly eat! They served the most unusual tempuras (I don't want to spoil the surprise) which were excellent. You also have a small starter (with home made wasabi) and dessert. The service was very good and despite the high price I am glad I went. This is a family business who knows their stuff and if you are not a on budget then it is worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tokyo, Japan
“Hidden Gem in Shinjuku”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Amongst the chaos that is Shinjuku is this hidden gem. A quaint, authentic tempura shop serving the best tempura I've had in Tokyo (or the world for that matter). We went with a set menu that consisted of sashimi to start and then 8 rounds of amazing tempura. The batter is light and flavorful and the fish and vegetables are fresh, with prefect texture and balance of flavor. The staff is amazing, very helpful and friendly. They really love what they do and it shows in the food and the experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California, United States
“Best Tempura Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I was blown away with the experience at Tenkane.

We sat at the bar and were greeted hot towels and hot tea. A plate of sashimi was accompanied with freshly ground wasabi, ground on a shark-skin grater.

We then began the experience of about 8 rounds of different types of tempura. The chef treated us to a few extras items now and then too!

Two of our guests had to leave early (as they were catching a plane) and the staff were more than happy to serve them faster that the rest of us. It was actually good for the rest of us as we got a preview of all the delicious things that were about to receive.

I will definitely return to treat friends to taste the delicious Tenkane tempura experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere