“What A Disappoinment For A Hyatt Diamond Status Member” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Park Hyatt Tokyo

Save Saved
You added Park Hyatt Tokyo to your Saves list
Park Hyatt Tokyo
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3-7-1-2 Nishi Shinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture 163-1055, Japan   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #1 of 69 hotels in Shinjuku
S. CA.
“What A Disappoinment For A Hyatt Diamond Status Member”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

"Disappointment" is defined as the feeling of dissatisfaction that follows the failure of expectations or hopes to manifest. Coming to this hotel (for my final (3) nights of a (19) night visit to Japan) as the highest status at Hyatt (Diamond), I had both high expectations and hopes for this hotel stay. My first (16) nights of this special "father-son" trip were spent at various Starwood properties in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima. All three Starwood hotels delivered amazing experiences for use (as will be written up in reviews of all three hotels in the near future). We saved this particular hotel for our final three nights of the trip and even made it a point to stop by the hotel a few weeks ahead of our stay to meet with the Concierge (there is no front desk per se as the concierge serves as both a concierge and a front desk for the most part at this property) to discuss our stay. And, it is with respect to the Concierge service that we have our biggest disappointment with this hotel.

First, let me make a personal observation (one of my opinion only and perhaps not the impression of others in my same boat). When I ended up "paying for the room using Hyatt points", I personally got the feeling that the level of service I received might have been influenced by that reality (say as compared to the next guy socking down $1,500,$2,000 or even up to $10,000 (USD)/night for a paid suite at the hotel). It is not unusual that even the "cheapest" hotel room at this property can cost $500-$750/night. Let's face it ... using a paltry 22,000 points to "pay" for the room is quite the deal for a Hyatt Gold Passport member. But, it was my personal experience that either the use of those points or just pure miscommunication resulted in some well below average service. For example, my request to find my son and I a reservation at a 3 Michelin star restaurant in Tokyo went entirely ignored by the Concierge throughout our 3 day stay. This was a far cry from the service we received at the Westin Kyoto where that Concierge (on 1 Day notice) got my son and I into a fabulous 3 Michelin Star restaurant for dinner. When I brought this disappointment to the Concierge's attention at Checkout, it essentially fell on deaf ears. In fact, I did not even receive a 1,000 point "Diamond Amenity" at checkout as I was told I had used points to pay for the room and essentially was not entitled to it. Interestingly, I just spoke with a Supervisor for Hyatt in the US who told me I had every right to receive a 1,000 point amenity at check out at this particular hotel. In all fairness, this issue is now under investigation at Hyatt as there seems to be a split of opinion on whether Diamond members indeed lose their 1,000 point welcome amenity when using points outside the US. But, here again, after the Concierge FAILED on the one important item we requested concerning a special dinner reservation, it did come as some surprise when this amenity request (valued at $15 or $20 perhaps?) was declined at check out. In other words, would it have been that much of an imposition to provide a Diamond member 1,000 points at checkout when the ball was so badly dropped on assisting us with our dinner reservations? And, I repeat that I was not asking for (a free) 1,000 points that I did not believe in good faith I was entitled to. Indeed, even at this very moment, a Supervisor tells me I was entitled to these points (the investigation continues as to the interpretation of the April, 2013 modifications by Hyatt on this very matter).

Second, this hotel does not even offer top Status Hyatt Diamond members any food whatsoever with the beer or wine they offer at "Happy Hour". Want a Burger and fries with that beer ... on the snack menu at roughly $50.00 US Dollar! What a disappointment after enjoying Hyatt Lounges such as the great one in NYC, etc.. When I asked why this particular hotel did not offer top status Diamond members any food at the 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. Happy Hour, the answer I got was "the hotel was too small" as it only had around 175 rooms. What kind of answer is that?

Third, I was told that the hotel rarely offers its Diamond members any suite upgrades even if suites are available. In my case, I received the minimal room upgrade ... again, a far cry to my experience at the (3) Starwood hotels I stayed at on the other (16) days of my trip. These other hotels upgraded me to a suite for EVERY night of the 16 nights I stayed with them! I can only assume my top status over there means a whole lot more in Japan.

I am hoping this review serves as a small "wake up call" to the hotel that no matter how "big" and "in vogue" your hotel becomes (from movies or otherwise), that you should never forget the dedicated top status Hyatt members that made Hyatt what it is ... perhaps the great hotel chain in the world! For sure, paying with points should not make one a "second class" citizen at any hotel and especially this one; in fact, it should elevate one to the highest standard, as these points are earned through countless loyal stays with Hyatt throughout the world.

Finally, I took the time to write a sincere email to the Concierge at this hotel detailing my disappointment with the service I received. Nearly two weeks later, that letter has not even been responded to.

So, why did I give this hotel a 2 star rating and not a 1 star rating despite my real (and serious) disappointment with my stay?

First, the hotel itself is amazing. Simply an elegant and beautiful hotel and, overall, the staff was wonderful (outside of our experience with the Concierge/front desk). For example, the room service folks were great as were the housekeepers. Even the folks assisting you at the front door with cabs or limo buses were warm and friendly. And, through the failure of getting us a reservation at one of the 3 Michelin Star restaurants in town, we ended up eating two nights at the NY Grill at the hotel where we met "Roman", the new manger of the restaurant. Roman was fantastic. Not only did he assist us with ordering all the right dishes, but you could see just how sincere and genuine a person he was. He is what the spirit of Hyatt is all about. This gentleman will, no doubt, go very far in the Hyatt organization (or anywhere else) throughout the years (and he is not doing all that bad running the NY Grill at such a young age).

I made it a point to not let any of the disappointments I encountered at the hotel impact the sensational "father-son" vacation we were enjoying while we were at the hotel. But, after I dropped my son at his college, I started reflecting upon the 19 day vacation and the "night and day" treatment we encountered as top status members at all the other hotels in the other chain as compared to this one. The contrast was clear. To add insutt to injury, when I took the time to spell out some of my concerns in writing to the hotel, my correspondence was essentially ignored.

In closing, I want to make it clear that my low marks for this hotel tie in ONLY as a Diamond member guest coming to this property and my opinions and impressions as a "point spender" staying here. That Diamond status is earned year in and year out through dedicated commitment to Hyatt hotels. When I finally use my hard earned points, I want to feel my dedication to Hyatt is appreciated. I simply did not feel that way at this hotel. I hope the hotel takes my comments to heart and truly reconsiders the benefits it offers the Hyatt Diamond status members in the future.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
knishiyama, マネージャー at Park Hyatt Tokyo, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your last stay at the Park Hyatt Tokyo with your son. We are very sorry to hear that you had a disappointing stay and that you felt that you had received a lower level of attention while staying as a Diamond member. We take the Diamond level very seriously as we fully realize that this tier represent guests who contribute to a substantial amount of nights in Hyatt properties.

We understand that you have had exchanges of email with our concierge since your departure, in regards to the service issues at the hotel, and that you have been speaking to a senior Gold Passport representative last week, to clarify the issue of the 1’000pts credit.
I am very sorry to read that you are not satisfied with your stay and the follow-up to this point. I will be contacting you separately, in order to discuss your stay, and thank you in advance for allowing us to resolve the matters you have brought forward.

Philippe Roux-Dessarps
Park Hyatt Tokyo

1,223 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Just treated like royalty with first class service and beautiful rooms. The price is high so we could only afford to splurge for one night but wish we could afford longer. Nice pool and restaurant food is also very tasty.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

From the second I arrived, the staff treated us like royalty. They learned our names and made sure to call us by them during our stay. The rooms were huge were amazing amenities, a huge tub, and a gorgeous view of the city. The breakfast in the morning was the best I have ever had! Amazing yogurt buffet, pastries, salad, eggs, etc. The location is a little out of the way, but not by much, and well worth it. A must go!

Room Tip: All rooms begin at the 42nd floor so they all have a great view!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Having heard a lot of nice things about the hotel, we were really looking forward to our stay.

We're a family of 4, 2 young kids included.

And what a hotel! Everything was as expected, and more.

From the minute we got off the taxi, we were treated like royalty.

Quick, efficient and of course polite, the start of our 4 days in Tokyo was amazing.

Room is really large for a hotel in Tokyo. Amenities and bathroom really nice.

We especially enjoyed the pool, where the lady who worked there went out of her way to help our kids get into the arm floats.

Unfortunately we didn't have any meals other than breakfast, but just looking out the window to check out the night scenes was amazing.

Also, the hotel, while not in a remote location, isn't exactly right in the middle of things, but they have a free shuttle that runs both ways to and from Shinjuku station.

Everynight we looked forward to the air conditioned bus after a long subway ride (and longer walk out if the maze that is Shinjuku).

Just a few complaints, not enough to dampen our experience.

We had to stay in a smoking floor, while the room was ok, the corridor was reeking. A bit surprised a hotel like Park Hyatt still has a smoking floor.

For some reason, for breakfast we ordered eggs sunny side up, it always took forever, about 20~30 minutes...still a mystery.

But overall, worth the money! Would stay again for sure.

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Park Hyatt for 2 nights during our honeymoon. The service level was unparalleled, the staff were so polite and helpful throughout our stay. They all understood and spoke English very well which made communication very easy for us. The concierge staff went above and beyond to help us - they gave us easy to read maps and showed us the exactly what trains to take to go sightseeing at different locations in Tokyo, and even after we had checked out they helped us find a train to Narita airport after we unknowingly missed the last airport bus that evening.

The hotel is located on the top floors of a business area in Shinjuku so there's not necessarily a lot of stuff on the neighboring blocks. But it's a 10 minute walk or short ride in the free shuttle can to Shinjuku station which has tons of shops and eateries or you can catch a train or bus from Shinjuku to pretty much anywhere.

It is a little bit of a maze getting from the hotel entrance on the bottom floor up to the actual reception desk and rooms but they will accompany you the first time upon arrival and show you the way.

The rooms are well-sized and nicely furnished and come with good amenities such as an in-room pod coffee machine and electric kettle with hot water for tea. The beds and linens were extremely comfortable, we slept well. We did feel like too much light shone in underneath the main door which kept the room from staying completely dark, but once we covered this up the problem was solved.

The bathroom is huge by Japanese standards...the only downside is some water will escape underneath the shower door so don't leave anything on the bathroom floor nearby. The water pressure and temperature were very good, so were the bath products provided.

Room service was excellent. We ordered items a la carte off the breakfast menu which we found to be reasonably priced given it was room service (we had waffles, a small omelet, a creme brûlée and raspberry sorbet for about $40 USD). They roll in a cart which doubles as a nice table for you to eat on in your room.

Overall, this was a fantastic hotel to stay in for our honeymoon. The view was amazing, the room was very nice, and I cannot say enough nice things about the staff - they were so wonderful and helpful!

sydney, australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had to write another review again after a recent stay to commend the Park Hyatt Tokyo team on providing outstanding customer service and I would say ranks as one of my favourite hotels in the world.

Rooms: Much larger than the standard hotel rooms in Tokyo. Very comfortable beds and the usual minimalist design signature to most Park Hyatt hotels. Excellent bathrooms amenities and a comfortable sized and nice standalone bath tub.

Dining: Kozue restaurant has excellent modern take on Japanese cuisine - executed very well in a beautifully appointed dining area with lots of light filtered in from their ceiling to floor windows. I would dine there even if not staying at the Park Hyatt Tokyo.

New York Bar was trendy and I love the live jazz band providing nice background music but not in any way overpowering so that conversation was difficult. A broad variety of whiskeys - Japanese and otherwise but of course you pay for the view and atmosphere. Only thing that I didn't like was that smoking was allowed in the Bar which can cause non-smoking guests to feel uncomfortable.

Customer service was outstanding from the bellboys, shuttle bus drivers, reception, housekeeping but especially concierge. Last minute restaurant reservations? - not an issue.
Last minute flight cancellations and need to book a new flight on a weekend - done. Need to change your restaurant reservations a few times - all done with a smile and a "no problem" attitude.
The standard of English spoken by staff are of a reasonably high level.

I think location is still the only let down for this hotel whereby it is still a bit of a walk to the nearest subway or train station and the shuttle bus runs up til 9:30 pm.

Overall I would still highly recommend this hotel on the basis of the excellent staff who really make this hotel one of the best in Japan.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The Park Hyatt is a beautiful hotel with excellent service. The hotel staff is wonderful. The NY Grill however has subpar service and is not organized well. The staff is picky about who gets to sit at the tables at the windows, as this property is known for its views. The best suggestion is to have drinks at the bar and eat at the French restaurant which is very good. Spa staff is great but spa itself could use some modernization. The location is not as convenient as one would think but quick cab rides to harajuku, etc.. Steve the manager is particularly great with any issues one may have.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to Park Hyatt Tokyo? Share your experiences!