“Very Good Hotel - Great Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Tokyo

You added Hilton Tokyo to your Saves list
Hilton Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6-6-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku 160-0023, Tokyo Prefecture (Shinjuku)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #3 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
“Very Good Hotel - Great Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The Hilton Tokyo Hotel is clean and well kept, up to date, and has a top notch staff providing excellent service. The rooms aren't overly large, but they certainly aren't cramped and are well appointed. I've stayed at the hotel three (3) times and have been very pleased with each stay. Overall it's a great hotel, especially for the business traveler.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is great to receive such positive feedback from a regular guest and I thank you sincerely for sharing your experiences on trip advisor.

We have so many regular guests and it is nice to know we can be a reliable base when in Tokyo for business or leisure.

My team and I look forward to seeing you when you next return to stay at Hilton.

Mr Jamie A Mead
Hilton Tokyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here three nights while recently traveling on business. From start to finish, I had a great experience. We stayed on an executive floor, so we had access to the executive lounge. I only used the lounge for breakfast - they had a good variety of foods and a nice view of Shinjuku. My room, on the 35th floor, was quite large and included a nice sized leather sectional. The bathroom was on the small size, but certainly adequate for one person. I didn't have the opportunity to dine in the restaurants, other than attend a business reception (the catering was lovely). Highly recommend if you're doing business in the Shinjuku area.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on this forum and also for choosing to stay with us.

I will share your comments with the team concerning the Executive Lounge and Catering Team.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Shellharbour, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Location, Location, Location!
Despite this hotel being outdated in the decor of the rooms (Currently being refurbished), the location reflects the price in accommodation, and the food and service far outweighs any negatives in my opinion.
The staff are friendly, the complimentary shuttle is brilliant, along with having the Maranouchi Line easily accessed via stairs inside the hotel along with a quick 5 min walk though the Subway.
The Hilton Shinjuku also has it's location parked right next to parkland (Shinjuku Central Park).
Make sure to include the buffet breakfast with your stay as it's definitely a lunch stopper!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and I am glad you found our location to be convenient and service excellent.

As mentioned the hotel is currently renovating guest rooms and 220+ new rooms will enter service from April 15, 2013. All rooms in the hotel will be renovated at this time and we will complete further upgrades to the property in 2014 as Hilton is committed to being the leading upper upscale hotel in Tokyo.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Mission Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in a King junior suite and found it to be 10/10. Great size infact proberly one of the biggest in the Hiltons we have stayed at.
Very friendly staff and great location, on the corner is Denny's and there is a free Hilton bus to the train station.
I really miss Japan and can't wait to visit again and will be staying at the Hotel for sure.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to know you you had a great stay and thank you for sharing your experience.

The Hilton Tokyo is committed to the highest standards of service and quality and my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

We stayed in February 2012 for 3 nights. I am a Hilton Diamond member and have stayed at hundreds of Hilton hotels around the world. This one is incredibly dated. Given its high prices its simply not worth the money. The first room we had was VERY small had a very old capsule style bathroom. We were told at check-in that there were No Diamond upgrades to the exec rooms available. Upon checking on the website we found they had plenty of room! So upon complaining we were moved to an exec room floor. This room was much better (slightly bigger) had better (newer) furniture and a reasonable bathroom. But we shouldn't have had to do all this to get our entitlements.

The lounge is CRAZY at canape time and breakfast! Yuk. Don't bother

There is no option to eat the breakfast in the lobby under Diamond privileges which is a rarity in this day and age. The lounge breakfast was poor no fresh cooked eggs. :(

I wont be back and neither should you go.

Check out the Conrad in Ginza its MUCH MUCH better

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

You reserved a standard guestroom and clearly were disappointed to not be upgraded. Our standard guest rooms were renovated in 2008 and are well maintained - all rooms are also identical to the description and photographs on our website with modern decor. As detailed in earlier reviews we are also completing further upgrades presently to Deluxe and Executive guest rooms that will be completed by April 2013.

Upgrades are not guaranteed and were not available at the time of your arrival. The hilton.com website may list rooms available however as you can imagine rooms become available as guests depart (including late departures), housekeeping, and vary by bedding type, smoking/NS etc.

Hilton Tokyo does not have 'capsule' bathrooms and capsule hotels do not have individual bathrooms but instead common bath areas (ofuro). Hilton Tokyo like most upper upscale hotels in Tokyo (i.e. Hyatt Regency, Intercontinental, Sheraton, Nikko, Keio) have a wet area style Japanese bathroom in our standard guest rooms and larger bathrooms up to four point (similar to our Conrad Tokyo) in our Executive rooms and suites.

Hilton Hotels do not offer cooked to order breakfast in our Executive Lounges and as a standard we offer a Continental Breakfast and in some locations a limited hot selection. Breakfast as a restaurant option is not offered per Hilton HHonors global guidelines for guests who are upgraded or Diamond due to lounge access.

In addition to breakfast you received complimentary: internet, all day refreshments, afternoon tea, snacks, and evening cocktails and canapés due to your Diamond status.

Our Executive Lounge is one of the larger lounges in Tokyo at over 300m2 and it is regularly noted as one of the best lounges we offer with great service, atmosphere and food and beverages. The lounge can become busy at times however we the Executive Lounge team assist guests to evening service in an alternate area, in room/suite or via a table reservation system on some limited Saturdays and public holidays. It is our aim to meet the requirements of all guests.

My team and I are so disappointed to read your review as it is so very different to the great majority of reviews we receive both here, on other sites and directly. The Hilton Tokyo team is committed to our guests and to provide a great experience single every time. We also make the commitment to assist our guests and management is available at all times on the rare occasion assistance is required.

I urge all members of this forum to consider numerous reviews and sites to form a balanced view of the property and also to consider the number of reviews posted and tone of individual reviewers when choosing a hotel.

We would also like to clarify that Hilton Hotels are upper upscale full service hotels and Conrad Hotels are Luxury full service hotels. Both products are highly differentiated and positioned to different markets and guest requirements.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me at jamie.mead@hilton.com

NYC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I checked into the Tokyo Hilton late in the evening after a flight from Hong Kong.
The check-in went smoothly, which was welcome.
That, however, was the highlight of my trip. (I actually kept a list!)
Yes, the rooms are large - quite large - for Tokyo or any other major city, but the hotel is stuck in the '70s. From the wallpaper to the carpeting to the lobby. This hotel screams living in the past.
The bathrooms, on the other hand, are teeny tiny, with virtually no place to put your things. The blow dryer they provide is so weak it would have taken me 3 days to dry my hair with it.
When I went out at 7am in the morning to get a cab to work, there wasn't a single person around to help me. There were a lot of people waiting for the Airport Limosine Bus, but nobody at the front door. I didn't know where the cabs were, so I asked for help.
The hotel is far away from the business center of Tokyo, which makes it a bad choice for business.
I found this out the hard way, as it is more than a 3,000 yen trip to the Tokyo Station area. There is a reason it is cheaper than hotels closer to the business district & to the shopping in Ginza!
So, I stopped by the concierge desk on my 2nd of 3 nights to find out whether they paid for cabs into town, as other major hotels do to win corporate business, and had to deal with someone who barely spoke English. I just gave up and left, and then she chased me in the lobby to hand me a letter. It was from the sales rep for our company, but my question is why then? Why wasn't the letter delivered to my room? What would have happened if I hadn't stopped by?
Now, let's review housekeeping:
They didn't bother to throw out the candy wrappers that were left on the desk. Clearly these weren't meant to be saved for anything.
They didn't bother to throw out the plastic lids they put on the glasses in the bathroom, even though the glasses had other things in them (my toothbrush in one and my make-up brushes in the other).
They didn't bother to throw out the plastic lid they put on the glass on the mini-bar, which I used for some wine. I dropped a french fry at night, and I couldn't find it. Needless to say, I found it the next night - after housekeeping had supposedly cleaned my room (vacuum much?).
I wanted to order wine from the room service menu, and after a 20-odd minute discussion, I found that they had none of the red wines on the menu. None!
The room service bills don't separate out the embedded service charge or the tax -- which I've never, ever seen before. It is just 1 price, so the bills shows a considerably higher than what is on the menu because it includes everything without a breakdown.
I set my work wake-up calls when I checked in, so they came.
The night before I left I called down for a 3am wake-up call with a follow-up at 3:15am. 3 am came & went, and the phone didn't ring. I got 1 call at 3:10am and another at 3:30am. Good thing I had a back-up.
Checkers, which offers both food & wine buffets (not sure whether the Friday & Saturday 'seafood buffet' is worth it at 61,000 yen) says it is open until 10pm, with the last seated at 9:30pm. I waited at least 30 minutes for my food (I ordered from the a la carte menu rather than opt for the buffet, but that was still unacceptable). Then I watched as they took down the food and wine buffets starting at 9:45pm, so if you are late, you are SOL.
(Tip: Water from the mini-bar is 310JPY, but only 200JPY at the Chequers pastry shop.)

The list:
Shower pressure: Surprisingly good for the 22nd floor.
Front desk: Check in & check out were good. If you call, you're in trouble.
Bed: Average.
Sheets/Bedding: Average.
Towels: Larger than average, but only average for softness & absorbency.
Phone service/attendants: There is a real problem with them understanding you if you speak English.
Room size: Above average.
Room service: Aside from the fact that none of the bottles of wine were there, it is OK. It is limited as to time. Not many appetizers or sides. Based on the hotel's Chequers restaurant, which has a bigger selection.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is very disappointing to read your review which is very inaccurate.

For the information of all readers of this forum:

Location: Tokyo is a city of over 30 million people (44 million on a work day) and there is no city centre but rather 5 main areas of which Shinjuku is the largest and busiest. Shinjuku is the location of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government, Japan’s busiest train station and the largest commercial area in the city.

Guestrooms - Hilton Tokyo opened 28 years ago and has been continuously upgraded with the oldest room style last renovated in 2008. Further renovations are currently underway as a part of our commitment to quality and guest comfort. The style of the Lobby and guest rooms is modern Japanese style and all areas are maintained constantly. Bathrooms vary by room type and the smallest is identical in size to all other upper upscale hotels in Tokyo. Additionally we have 300+ rooms with large four point bathrooms in Executive and suite categories.

Bedding - Hilton Tokyo is 100% aligned with the global Hilton Global Serenity Standard with bedding, all linen (high thread count cotton), towels and mattress/mattress pads. All products are the same as all Hilton hotels and of a high quality.

Restaurants - our seafood buffet is not Y61,000 yen (USD$650). Bottled water in mini bars is only slightly more expensive than our take away shop which is typical with all hotel mini bar systems. A la carte menus are available in all restaurants with meals from US$25.

Language - all guest service team members speak English and are regularly commended for their English ability. Hilton is committed to training our team members and we are very proud of their achievements. Team Members are available at all times to assist with taxi’s and other arrangements with our front desk and bell desk available 24 hours.

Housekeeping - members on this forum and other forums constantly recognize the exceptionally high standard of housekeeping that is consistently delivered. Hairdryers are 2000w which is the highest capacity in Japan (100v) and all are free standing units. Your comments of three days to dry your hair is a gross exaggeration.

Room Service - all wines are available per the menu. All menus were changed only 1 month ago. In addition to this more than 100 wines are available at the hotel.

This review is very misleading and is full of incorrect information and exaggerations. Hilton Tokyo is committed to the highest standards and my team and I make ourselves available at any time to assist our guests. At no time during your stay did you make any contact with any member of the team or management as we would have assisted you immediately.

Hilton Tokyo suggests to trip advisor readers to look at all reviews to form a balanced view of the hotel.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

It is about 10min walk from Shinjuku Station or you can take hotel shuttle service with an interval of 20min.The room are very clean and smoke free, bathtub and toilet are is normal size compared to other hotels in japan. The breakfast is good with both western and japanese breakfast. I had to check out since i am going hakone for one night and the second check in was fast and my bags( I left my big bags at the concierge) was already in my new room which I went in.Overall, it was a great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking room if you are a non-smoker and do it in advance.
Dear guest,

Thank you for your balanced review and for choosing to stay with us.

My team appreciates your comments and it was a pleasure having you as our guest.

Jamie Mead
Hilton Tokyo

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!