“Tired hotel, noisy and in need of an upgrade” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Save Saved
You added Hilton Tokyo to your Saves list
Hilton Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6-6-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture 160-0023, Japan   |
Special Price
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #3 of 68 hotels in Shinjuku
Perth, Australia
“Tired hotel, noisy and in need of an upgrade”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Let me start out with the positive ... Awesome location. Shinjuku is a happening part of Tokyo and this hotel is a short walk or cab ride away.

Unfortunately this is a relic from 1974 ... brown brown brown with just a little more brown thrown in for good measure. A smooth and polite checkin process, and the staff were nice enough, but this hotel just feels old ... kind of like that tape player that was friggin awesome in its day compares to a funky new iPhone bluetooth connected device ... both still play good music but ... you know what I mean ...

Bed was comfortable, but I was woken at 4am by the sound of my neighbors toilet flushing ... not a quiet sound, but really loud!

The guests lounge was good (not sure if they should have let us in but they did which was nice).

Probably would not stay here again and would try somewhere else in Shinjuku ... definitely needs a refurb.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am very surprised to read your review and most concerned by your comments. Hilton Tokyo was extensively renovated in 2007, 2009, 2010 and in 2012. Further renovations commence in January 2013 as we are absolutely committed to the best quality experience for our guests. Hilton Tokyo is also of a very high standard when compared to the neighboring full service hotels in Shinjuku and the majority of the Tokyo upscale hotel market.

I am also disappointed that you did not bring your concerns to our attention during your stay as my team would have done everything possible to ensure your satisfaction.

The decor and colour of the hotel gets consistently good reviews but we are obviously not able to meet every guests personal preferences with design or colour. Brown, lacquer and neutral colours are a key element of Japanese design and Hilton is committed to retaining a distinct sense of place rather than bold trendy design.

Concerning your comments on being woken by a toilet flush - this not an issue in this hotel and this is the first reported comment of this type we have received. I would appreciate if you can contact me at the hotel and advise your booking name so we can investigate if there is any engineering fault than requires attention.

I do however thank you for your comments and wish you a very pleasant holiday season.

1,566 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Returned again to the Tokyo Hilton in December and was not disappointed. I find this hotel to be a convenient hop from the airport on the Airport Express even though it is a bus vs a private car. It is also a short walk underground to the subway just off Shinjuku so getting around is fairly straight forward and the concierge will help with instructions, tickets and directions.

The hotel is usually quite busy so book early, I find it quite full but reasonably quiet for all the business they have. The exec lounge is a good place to work and catch up on things while traveling. On a clear day you can see the mountains and get a great sunset from there.

Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoy our hotel.

Hilton Tokyo is very fortunate to have so many loyal and regular guests and all of the team really look forward to seeing familiar faces.

Your comments on our Executive Lounge is also appreciated and I will thank the team for their care.

I would also like to wish you all the very best over the festive season and hope to see you back soon.

Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Good location. Good view, at least my kid enjoyed it. Standard, basic Room. Clean. Good and friendly service but I guess it's the norm in Japan. Very close to train station. Free shuttle from Narita. Starbucks across the street. Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are really glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for recommending Hilton Tokyo on this forum.

My team and I wish you a lovely Festive Season and New Year!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

The staff in this hotel are so friendly. I made the mistake of booking through Priceline and was placed directly next to the elevator. Needless to say I did not get much sleep, it was very loud. The hotel was booked so I was not able to change my room. This was no fault of the staff. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. I would recommend staying on one of the top floors, the views are AMAZING! The restaurants in the hotel are good. There is a little something for everyone. I would probably stay here again. The only downfall is the noise, between the elevator and the kids running around above me I did not get much rest. It was very very loud. Do not book through Priceline or websites of the like, they give you a crappy room. However, overall it was a good experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for your great review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.

Concerning the elevator this is unusual and my Chief Engineer is investigating and will rectify. The elevator should not disturb our guests and has not been a problem in the past.

Please accept my apologies for this dissapointment and assurance it will not reoccur.

Brisbane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

The Hilton Tokyo was the first of three hotel we visited in Japan.
The hotel is located roughly 15 min from the Shinjuku station and a free shuttle bus is departing the hotel every 20 minutes which is quite convenient.
The hotel itself is quite large, there must be hundreds of rooms and the lobby is always busy.
If you are used to Hilton hotels around the world, you won't fall from your chair, it hasn't been "japanized" very much and the room is fairly similar to what you would find in Sydney, Shanghai or Singapore.
As we had booked an executive room, we checked in on the 37th floor which is always nice, efficient and friendly staff up there, we were upgraded to a junior suite on the 34th floor, great views and the room itself was quite large (small bathroom though, and the usual Crabtree and Evelyn amenities were unfortunately replace by another brand).
I would strongly recommend you pay the extra few dollars for the executive floor; not only for the view but, also for the lounge itself which is very handy, comfortable and will serve you great cocktails before you head out for dinner in busy Tokyo!
The staff are really nice and don't mind going the extra mile to help you find what you want. It really was a great time.

I have only one negative comment to make but it's a BIG one, and I will not rate the hotel 5* because of that: we are in 2012, in a 5* hotel, in the middle of one of biggest cities in the world, the Queen herself is tweeting daily and they are asking us to pay ¥1500 per day for wifi in the room?? You can't be serious! You get free wifi in bloody motels on the highway these days!!

Mr Mead, I see that you are usually personally answering to all reviews on tripadvisor, please read this and do something! The result is that your lobby and executive lounge are full of iPad holders, not enjoying the great service but sending freaking emails to their boss and wives!

Apart from that, fellow travellers, grab a good deal and go to the Hilton Tokyo!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, December 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review and my team and I really appreciate the time taken to share your experience.

Concerning wifi - wifi is available on a complimentary basis in the Executive Lounge and Lobby areas of the hotel, we also provide iMac and PCs on a complimentary basis in our business centre. At all Hilton Hotels worldwide internet is charged and Hilton Tokyo needs to remain consistent with the global guidelines - I do however understand your comments and will share them with our global team responsible.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Auckland Central, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012 via mobile

what can I say, maybe not the cheapest but the staff were absolutely amazing. very helpful and always with a smile. my room was huge, very comfortable and had a good view. Situated only minutes from the lights of Shinjuku means you are close enough to walk home even after a few Asahi's. I would absolutely recommend this hotel thinking of visiting Tokyo.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Your review title "Exceptional Service at the Hilton" is really appreciated. It is so pleasing to hear that our guests are impressed with our service and my team is delighted to receive your comments.

Thank you again and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Hilton hotels are usually to a high standard, though for the money we paid the room I thought was a little small. Great view however.
All services were done to a high Japanese standard and all meals we had there were of a high standard.

Room Tip: Anything with a view.