“Top tier” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Tokyo

Save Saved
You added Hilton Tokyo to your Saves list
Hilton Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6-6-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture 160-0023, Japan   |
Special Offer
Save up to 20% off
Ranked #3 of 69 hotels in Shinjuku
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Top tier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed in Hilton Tokyo in the Shinjuku area when in town for a business trip. The hotel location is convenient in terms of access by the airport shuttle bus, as well as the Narita Express train, although the location of Narita itself makes it time consuming to go back and forth.

In terms of Tokyo it's well connected with a subway station in the basement, however, subject to location of meetings etc. it is recommended to think through Hilton's location relative to this. My business was East and South West respectively and a fair bit of time was spent commuting.

The hotel is top tier, and I will definitely stay there again. In particular the service level is top quality throughout the hotel, from the bell boys you encounter upon arrival till the reception staff upon check out.

The hotel is fairly old but seems to be recently refurbished, and the interior decoration of both common areas and rooms is state of the art, and has all the facilities.

The club lounge is an experience in itself, and highly convenient during the day for business purposes. The evening coctail and snacks session is unique in its class, and I must commend the staff for making an extra effort as well.

The gym is well equipped and convenient as such.

The onlyd drawback if anything would be the beds/ pillows; they will not get a top score but then again, that's a highly individual thing.

The hotel has everything you need at an acceptable rate in Tokyo, and I will definitely keep it as my first choice for both business and private purposes when going next.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest, thanks for your 5/5 rating and 'Top Tier' accolade.

We appreciate that you took the time to share your great experience on this forum. I will also have your comments translated and shared with the team.

As mentioned the Hilton Tokyo has been and continues to upgrade our facilities and we will open further new rooms from the beginning of 2013. It is our aim to maintain this hotel to the highest standard and to provide the best service at all times.

I hope to welcome you back soon and again thank you!

1,726 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Top shelf all the way.
From exceptional customer service, superior services, outstanding amentieis, and amazing rooms to great views, awesome resturants and a great location, the Tokyo Hilton is my "go-to" hotel in Tokyo. I've stayed there multiple times over several years and I've never been disappointed. They staff "remembered" me on my thrid visit and gave me a great upgrade. Their attention to detail and overal customer focus makes this a GREAT hotel.

Room Tip: The views are better up high. All the rooms I've had were very quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

My team and I really appreciate your very positive review of our hotel and we are so pleased you believe Hilton Tokyo is one of the best!

This is particularly appreciated from a regular guest to our hotel and a senior reviewer/regular traveler.

I will share your feedback with all team members and we all look forward to seeing you back soon.

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

We stayed at the hotel during a very busy tourism season in Japan (fall color), and in fact this was one of the few places that had rooms available for three nights. Although typically expensive for a Hilton in a large business-focused city, I was happy to find a three night stay package price that knocked about 20% off the cost. The location was in a major business and government area, but it is convenient to get anywhere from nearby metro stops and Shinjuku station, one of the busiest and best connected train stations in the world. The hotel runs a quick shuttle bus to the station every 20 minutes, although the walk to the station is easy. There are some nice local spots to visit, most notably a fine and uncrowded city garden park (Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden). You get to the garden by crossing to the east side of the station area via the underground mall (use Google maps to see the huge mall area and the exits to the street from it). We also went to Takaosan, a mountain area attraction west of Tokyo and a quick trip on the Keio line train (be sure you take a limited express not a local!). If you are interested in sampling local food, be sure to check out the basement food vendors in the major department stores like Isetan (east side of station) and Odakyu (west side). For airport connections, a convenient bus service (Airport Limousine) comes to the hotel. Finally, I note that there are plenty of comments on TripAdvisor regarding the rather spartan rooms (we had a King Deluxe), and it is undeniable that you can get larger and more luxurious "standard" rooms in other Hiltons. It easy to find bad hotels in Tokyo, however, and I stayed in another business hotel there that was not much cheaper but was amazingly bad compared to this hotel. I suppose one could opt for a suite to get more space, but the point is that if you really take advantage of the locale and many sights in the area, all you really need is a comfortable bed in a clean hotel with an excellent staff, and this hotel has both,

Room Tip: If you need more nights than you have reserved and the hotel is full, be sure to check the Hilton We...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for your very extensive review and we are really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and Tokyo trip.

Our new rooms available in Executive, Deluxe and Standard categories from January 2013 will provide further options in a new style which may appeal to you. As mentioned in our responses the current style is a Japanese inspired design that is simple and clean and the photographs on our website accurately portray all room types available.

We hope to welcome you back soon and thank you for choosing Hilton.

Marbella, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The Hilton Tokyo is located in one of my favorite areas in Tokyo, Shinjuku Station is a few minutes walking, so all Tokyo is at it's reach by the Subway or JR Train.
The Service in the Hotel is Amazing, the Food is superb!
But what made me love this Hotel, is that when I left I forgot a bunch of 100 dollar bills in the safe, I realized later in the day and called. They told me that the room was already occupied and that the Housekeeper must have whatever was on the safe.... To make the Story short, when I got there, the Money was in a closed envelope, counted and arranged by denominations, all was there. How come this will not be my favorite Hotel in the World?

Room Tip: All are good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for our great review and we love to hear that Hilton Tokyo is one of your favorite Hotels.

I am also glad you found our location convenient - Shinjuku is the hub of Tokyo for transport, entertainment, dining and shopping and is actually the #1 spot for all international visitors to Japan according to the Japan National Tourist Organization. For our business travelers Shinjuku also makes it very easy to get around by either JR or Tokyo Metro (Subway).

I have also passed on your appreciation to our housekeeping and lost property team for the swift return of your cash.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Tokyo!

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed at Hilton Tokyo last month. All the staffs were very professional and mostly speak good english. Excellent bed and pillow, makes a good night sleep. Very good hot tub and sauna facilities. Good for business meetings or wedding.

However, as a leisure traveller, its location is not too convenient, even though it offers free shuttle to and from Shinjuku station. Also, there is lack of sitting area in the lobby. And no free wifi, which personally I feel it should be a must nowadays for a hotel, especially when you consider the cost for this hotel stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay but disappointed you did not find our location convenient.

Every traveler has different requirements and in addition to the shuttle (7-10 minute walk) we also have two subway lines accessible in our basement and a number of tours departing directly from our lobby. The airport bus service also offers door to door transfers from Hilton to both Narita and Haneda Airports.

Free Wi-Fi is available for all guests in our public areas and our Connectivity Station offers six PC's on a complimentary basis on the lobby level.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband (a Diamond Hilton Honors) member and I stayed here for a total of 4 nights over 2 stays, using points. We always try to stay at Hiltons on our vacations because we enjoy the perks – i.e. the Executive Lounge and the free upgrades. We used to live in Asia, and one thing that was great about Hilton hotels in Asia, is that they are so luxurious. This was certainly NOT the case here.

There are some positives. The location was great. 2 subway lines connected to the hotel (although a bit of a walk). It’s even walkabout from Shinjuku Station (although maybe not with luggage). The shuttle to Shinjuku station was very much appreciated. And the food and drink in the Executive Lounge for cocktail hour was great. Most of the people who work there are great – they genuinely wanted to help us (with directions, dinner recommendation and reservations, etc). I read other reviews where people said that the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful – that could not have been further from the truth for us (with the exception of the lying – explained below).

However, there is so much more wrong with the hotel than right. As I said, my husband is Diamond – which is Hilton’s top bracket in their loyalty program. When we checked in for our first stay, we were upgraded to a “Deluxe” floor – not the executive floor. We knew that that the hotel was very busy, and upgrades are only offered if available, so we didn’t think too much of the smaller than usual upgrade. However, when we got to our room, we couldn’t believe how basic it was. We were wondering, “if this is a deluxe room, what is a standard room like?” To put it in perspective, a couple of weeks ago, we spent a night in the Hampton Inn in South Oklahoma City. I would put this on the same level of luxury (all the way at the bottom). I see in the manager’s response to reviews that he refers to the hotel as a five star property. I have no idea where he gets that from, but our “Deluxe” room was the equivalent of a three star room in the US. When I think 5 star – I think luxury. Now the size of the room was actually fine – I wouldn’t complain about that at all. However, the bathroom was tiny! I didn’t have room to leave any toiletries in there (my husband had room for just his). The furniture is cheap looking, cheap feeling, and there are no decorations. There is not one thing about that room that says “luxury”

After 2 nights, we left for one night, and then came back for another 2 night stay. This time, they told us that there were no King beds, and they had to put us in a Queen bed on a “Deluxe” floor. We asked to be upgraded to the executive floors (since the hotel was not full this time) and were told that they only do a 1 level upgrade. I find that so disappointing. One of the best customers that Hilton has, and they won’t even give an upgrade to the executive floor – when there is space available. Every other Hilton that we have stayed in has upgraded us as far as possible. But this so-called “5 star” Hilton doesn’t even make an attempt. So we headed to our room. It was shocking – absolutely worse than the Hampton Inn we stayed at a few weeks after this. I cannot believe that Hilton would even allow rooms like this in the Hilton brand hotels. The walls and furniture were cracked and the TV had to have been over 10 years old. I can only assume that this was a standard room and they lied about it being Deluxe. We called the front desk to complain, and they moved us to a King room that was more to the standard of our first stay. I really don’t appreciate the fact that the person who checked us in flat out lied to us about the availability of the King Bed. I also can’t believe that they thought it was OK to put us in a room like that. I feel so bad for the people without status who pay hundreds of dollars a night for a room like that – with no chance of being upgraded. We used points and still overpaid for our rooms. I’m so grateful we didn’t actually pay to stay here.

Another problem was the executive lounge. Breakfast was just not very good. Yes, I am complaining about a free breakfast, so maybe I should just stop – but we had stayed at 2 other Hiltons on our trip (Osaka and Seoul). On both those hotels, we were permitted to eat in the main restaurant (for free), which tends to have a much better selection. That wasn’t an option here. So while breakfast wasn’t terrible – it just wasn’t very good. The other problem was something that another reviewer had identified earlier, and management’s response was along the lines of “that doesn’t ever happen and won’t happen again”. Well that was wrong! We went to the lounge one evening and were told that there were no tables, and that we could return to our room and they would call us when one was available. This bothered me because another guest had made management aware of this on TripAdvisor, they knew that the hotel was full, and they did nothing to proactively address this problem. They even sat single people at tables pushed together (where they could comfortably fit more than 4 people). I was very disappointed in the poor management around this.

Overall, this hotel is very disappointing. As a diamond HH member, the benefits are nowhere near what you get at other Hiltons. This is not a luxurious hotel by any means - although according to the responses on tripadvisor, management thinks that it is (which is very worrying). I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is very disappointing to hear your feedback and it is unfortunate that you did not speak with a member of our management team whilst you were our guest as we always do our upmost to ensure our guests are well taken care of and satisfied with their stay. Your comments are very different from the great majority of positive reviews we have on Trip Advisor and we really wished you had brought your dissatisfaction to our attention.

Hilton Tokyo has a Japanese inspired design throughout and the quality and fittings are definitely not poor quality or inexpensive. Materials in Japan are light and a minimalist design style is used throughout the hotel and this is consistently appreciated by our guests.

As a Diamond HHonors guest you were upgraded to the best available category as the Executive Floor was not available. Lounge access and complimentary wifi, breakfast, all day refreshments, afternoon tea and evening drinks and canapés were offered. Unfortunately the lounge can get busy at times however my team did their best to accommodate you and offer alternatives. For HHonors redemption stays we also offer 'Any Room Type Rewards' where you can redeem higher room categories including Executive Floor King and Suites. This way you can guarantee that you receive the room you require which is very popular in busy locations like Tokyo.

Whilst our Hampton by Hilton hotels are an excellent limited service product at Hilton we provide a full range of services and facilities for our guests. In Japan however where space is limited we have prioritized guest room space with a smaller bathroom. As mentioned in earlier Management comments we are however launching new rooms in January 2013 (Executive and Deluxe) with larger four point bathrooms (Executive) which may suit your needs.

Hilton Tokyo and the Hilton Brand is an 'Upper Upscale' hotel and not a 'Luxury Hotel' however the team does provide a very high level of service which is regularly recognized. If guests require a luxury hotel our sister hotel Conrad Tokyo is a beautiful property with minimum 50m2 rooms and views over Tokyo Bay.

We appreciate your loyalty and thank you sincerely for your feedback. If I can assist you further please do not hesitate to contact me at jamie.mead@hilton.com.

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed two nights in early October, very happy with my accomodations. As a Hilton member, I was upgraded to 35th floor, Executive Level. This allows you to eat breakfast, afternoon tea, cocktails and a light dinner, affordably. Would recommend booking these floors, even with the higher initial cost, these perks are worth it... unless you are on an expense account, then do as you please.

All employees were very courteous, requests for services such as laundry and pillows were quick and frieindly. Shuttle bus to Shinjuku station is complimentary, and quick. Recommend visiting this area to get more of a local feel... the hotel is located in a business park environment, not a lot of local flavor in the area.

I recommend this hotel and would stay here again...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great review. We really appreciate that you enjoyed our Executive Room, Executive Lounge and team member service.

My team and I are committed to providing the best possible experience for all of our guests and it is really nice to hear that this was enjoyed and appreciated.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Regards

Jamie Mead
Hilton Tokyo

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!