“Dont waste your money: service not of an Asian standard” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Tokyo

You added Hilton Tokyo to your Saves list
Hilton Tokyo
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6-6-2 Nishishinjuku, Shinjuku 160-0023, Tokyo Prefecture (Shinjuku)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #3 of 74 Hotels / Ryokan in Shinjuku
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London
“Dont waste your money: service not of an Asian standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

I stayed here twice.
Check in poor. Long wait. Not enough seating in reception area.

Breakfast poor quality - particularly the international breakfast - scabby bacon, German sausages and not much choice. Long queue to be seated for breakfast every day even though tables free. Lots of staff but everything took time.

Staff attitude was not great throughout the stay. I complained twice and neither time was is resolved.

Wifi in the lobby area is expensive - even if you have in-room wifi you have to pay for lobby wifi.

Rooms decent enough but bathrooms aged although not to a poor standard.

Overall I was disappointed with this hotel on both occasions. From a service point-of-view the staff need training and I'd recommend they visit some of the cheaper hotels who appear far superior. I'd stay here again simply because I'm a gold member and would need the stays but certainly it was nowhere near the luxury I expected from
Previous stats in Asia. In my opinion the (Western) manager needs to get his finger out and sort the place out. At best it's mediocre so got the price I'd recommend people stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

I am really dissapointed to read your review as it is so very different from the majority of reviews of our hotel. My team and I strive to deliver the highest level of service and quality and based on your comments we are dissapointed that we did not meet your expectations.

I would however like to clarify for the tripadvisor community a few points pertaining to your review:

As a Hilton Hhonors Diamond member your room was upgraded and access to our Executive Lounge was provided. Our lounge offers a dedicated concierge, wifi, full daily breakfast, all day snacks and refreshments, afternoon tea and evening open bar and canapes.

Check in can occasionally get busy as guests generally arrive in groups on the Airport Limousine Bus or by train. We do however always have all check in positions manned and at the most the delay is less than five minutes. I do apologise if you had a short delay on arrival.

Breakfast at the Hilton Tokyo features over 150 items every day and is consistent with breakfast at every Hilton Hotel globally. In addition to this we offer an extensive Japanese and Chinese breakfast and fresh juice/smoothie bar. Certain items are also aligned with local preferences but alternatives are also available along with a full a la carte breakfast.

Internet for Gold and Diamond members is complimentary at all Hilton Hotels (wired and wireless).

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Hilton Tokyo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Stafford, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are usually in LOVE with Hilton properties...we travel a great deal (we are actually "Diamond" members, so we stay in them a LOT!) but this was one stay that would have been improved with some better customer service.
The good points - The property was lovely and had all the amenities that we could ask for. The Executive lounge was very nice and had a great view. The appetizers in the evenings were a nice touch. The room were were in at first wasn't great (very small and dated) but they had an opening a couple days after we arrived and since we are Diamond they did upgrade us (we had to push a bit too...) but the second room was lovely and had great space. It was in a good location for the Metro stations, and within walking distance of a bit of shopping.

The not so good - from the time we arrived it seemed that much of the staff was "put out" by helping us. I know that the culture there is different, however it didn't seem them were terribly interested in answering our questions, or helping us figure out even easy things like what tours might be available while we were there. They have us two brochures - and seemed to only have the two...both by the same company (Gray Lines Tour Company.) I don't know if they get a portion of the proceeds or if they aren't interested in offering information on other options. The people WERE always POLITE. But not friendly or really helpful. They gave polite smiles and seemingly the bare minimum in assistance. As we have been served SO WONDERFULLY in both London and Paris in the past year, this was a great disappointment. The hotel one stays in does set the tone to some extent on the stay in that city/destination. We only had one person who was really kind and honestly seemed willing to help - and we thanked her repeatedly!! (And expressed our appreciation to the manage in hopes that he would recognize her and others would catch on too!)

If we ever go back to Tokyo - I might look into other options...but then again I might not. We do get points for staying with Hilton!

Room Tip: Ask for any upgrades they may have available when you check in. Getting a larger room makes ALL the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thankyou for your review and your coments. I am really pleased you enjoyed the upgrade, room and lounge. I am however dissapointed with the service you recieved particularly from one of our concierge team. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and assurance I will review this immediately as there are many alternate tours available.

Our Chief Concierge is also aware of your feedback and will also review all offerings immediately.

Thank you again for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel was a standard hotel for Japan. I stayed n the executive floor and my room was very modern and updated. I was traveling with someone and they stayed on the 9th floor and their room was very out dated.
The staff is extremly friendly and helpful and the lounge is great. It is a full dinner in the lounge as well as a full breakfast. The staff in the lounge is also helpful. The size of the lounge is small, so it is important to get there early so you can get a seat.
The hotel is not around much, but the shuttle to the train station is very helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated room and I would highly recommend staying on the executive floors. It is well wo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManagerTokyo, General Manager at Hilton Tokyo, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank-you for your great feedback on our Executive Lounge and team. My team really appreciates hearing from guests and I will ensure your feedback is shared with them. I am also glad you enjoyed our accommodation.

Concerning your friends accommodation on level 9. As mentioned in earlier responses the Hilton (standard) guestrooms will be fully renovated at the end of 2012 and all rooms at Hilton Tokyo will have been renovated including bathrooms from January 2013.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Tokyo.

Pleasantville, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Sadly, this Hilton suffers from poor demand forecasting of its Executive lounge. For the past two evenings, I have not been able to use the lounge due to the lounge being too small and there being too many guests being offered the lounge. Being a Damond member of the Hilton chain, I expect to enjoy the extra benefits. In addition, i am disappointed by th lack of service this Hilton provides to its most important guests. There are no welcome amenities during yor stay and no room upgrades. In summary, not the best Hilton experience.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank-you for your feedback and for your loyalty to Hilton as a Diamond Hhonors guest.

Your stay coincided with a Japanese National Holiday and the hotel was very extremely busy with families and individuals on leisure. We sincerely apologise for this experience and assure you that this is an isolated incident.

Upgrades for Diamond Hhonors guests are subject to availability at the time of arrival and unfortunately upgrades are not always available. The team does however aim to upgrade all Diamond Hhonors guests to the next best available room in line with the program guidelines. If a specific room type or Executive Floor room is required we do recommend to book this in advance to guarantee availability.

Your comments concerning the Executive Lounge is most unusual as this is very frequently noted as one of the best lounges that we operate and has very high satisfaction levels. Access to the lounge is only for Executive Floor guests and Diamond Hhonors guests to ensure capacity is controlled. It is however unavoidable on very rare occasions that guests stay longer, arrive at a similar time or are non Executive Floor Diamond Hhonors which can cause minor delays. I do apologise as you seem to have encountered this however the team always offer guests to wait in their room or in other areas of the hotel for a short period until a table is available. Alternatively Executive Floor guests are able to enjoy drinks and canapés on Level 1 of the hotel in the Marble Lounge.

All Diamond guests also receive daily internet access, welcome card from the hotel, seasonal amenity and complimentary bottled water (2) (daily) on arrival.

Thank you again for your comments and I hope that the remainder of your stay was enjoyable. If you are still in the hotel and require anything further please do not hesitate to contact any member of the team.

We do value your loyalty and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Hilton Tokyo.

naples,fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The hotel itself is quite unremarkable. My guest room was dated, and the lobby area is miniscule and not very appealing. However, there are several really good reasons to stay here, so let me highlight them:
1) Outstanding staff. Everyone in the hotel was helpful, knowledgeable and well trained. After a 13 hour overseas flight, I was whisked off the bus, then to the front desk, and into my room in less than 5 minutes. Every question I asked was answered quickly and efficiently. Management has done a great job in keeping service here to a high level.
2) Great location. Close to the heart of Shinjuku, it's a 10 minute walk. Getting here from the airport is a breeze, with the Airport bus for about $30. It's a 90 minute ride and drops you at the door.
3) Good gym. The gym here is much better equipped than most hotels in Tokyo. You should be able to get a top notch workout on the good assortment of equipment.
4) Impeccably Clean. My room was spotless.
5) Good selection of restaurants close by. You don't need to break the bank eating out in this area.
Overall, I found this hotel comfortable and easy to get around in. I do understand they will be renovating soon, so hopefully it will get the aesthetic updates it really needs. I will look forward to staying here next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our service, location and cleanliness.

As you mentioned all of our older rooms (standard) will be removed from our hotel at the end of 2012 and new rooms introduced at the beginning of 2013. With this project all rooms at the Hilton Tokyo will be renovated and I am sure that you will find the new rooms to be of a very high standard.

I hope you have the opportunity to return to Hilton Tokyo to try our new product from February next year.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I decided to book Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku by reading reviews from tripadvisor.com. So, to thank you all the reviewers and tripadvisor.com, I am helping to review my recent, super fantastic stay at Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku! :)

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku Tokyo for 5 days, 4 nights during the first week of September 2012. The service was awesome from the start! Even though our plane arrived extremely early in the morning at Narita Airport, so we got to Hilton some time before 9 am--front desk staff was very welcoming and offered a super early check-in. Well, we paid some additions for a room upgrade, but the room was available immediately! We were also upgraded from originally 32nd to 37th floor, from a total of 38 floors. That was cool because the executive lounge was right on the 37th floor! We also received a complimentary box of Hilton chocolates less than an hour after we got into our room! That was so nice! Thank YOU!!!!!

The executive lounge is awesome! The lounge offers refreshments and snacks all day. You can expect to have a full breakfast and dinner at the lounge, no extra charge for guests staying in the executive room. Staff at the lounge were very friendly and helpful. Love the chocolate drink... a lot! I think I had over 10 glasses in 5 days!! Thanks! ^-^

My birthday happened to fall on that week. In the evening of my birthday, I was surprised to see a thoughtful birthday greeting with a complimentary chocolate truffle cake in my room when I got back from shopping! It was from one of the Hilton staff. He just made my birthday even more special! I hope he got my thank you gift though. I asked someone to give it to him. :)

The room was quiet, barely heard any noise through the door or the wall. Everything was clean and tidy. Housekeeping staff were friendly and dedicated to their work. Oh, but you need to inform the hotel though if you want your bed sheets changed. It is the environmental friendly approach by the hotel to save water, but if you inform them, they will do it right away! The beautiful origami birds placed after bed turndown service were very nice touch!

Although the hotel is not located exactly in the middle of Shinjuku busy streets, they offer shuttle bus service leaving the hotel three times every hour to Shinjuku Station, where you can take JR trains, Keio trains, etc. Very convenient. Unbelievably punctual! The bus capacity is over 40 passengers a trip. There were always available seats, all the time.

Make sure you make all your necessary requests before checking in, and you will pretty much get everything! Really! Oh, our trip got postponed by a day, so I contacted Hilton Tokyo through their Japanese website, with google auto-translate, for a slight change of stay dates. It took them only couple days to change it and emailed me back, while all my requests remained the same. So, I did not have to redo all my bookings. That was fantastic!

Leaving the hotel was also very convenient. You can buy airport limousine bus ticket from front desk or executive lounge staff. The ticket costs Yen 3,000 per person, exactly the same price as buying from their office at Narita Airport. The airport limousine bus picks you up from the front gate of the Hilton and drop you off at your airport terminal. Hilton bellboys helped us with our luggages. They ensured the proper baggage loading and everything. Oh, a complimentary bottle of water was offered by Hilton to every limousine bus passenger before hopping onto the bus. How thoughtful!

Thanks a lot ++++++ to Hilton and Hilton staff for making this trip one of the nicest vacations ever! It is definitely in the top 3 for me! I won't have any second thought about where to stay if I'll ever get to go back to Tokyo again! It's definitely Hilton Tokyo Shinjuku! <3 <3

Room Tip: Executive rooms are awesome! Not only we found all the necessary things we need in the room, but the...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It is wonderful to read about your fantastic experience at our hotel and I thank you for sharing this on Trip Advisor.

In particular your positive comments on our Executive Lounge and Lounge team is appreciated!

Thank you for choosing Hilton and we all look forward to welcoming you back.

Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

The hotel is clean, friendly and a very helpful staff. I really enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Everywhere you go in the hotel is very pricey. But what isn't in Tokyo? stay out of the bars and eateries as they are way overpriced, for me anyway. Free shuttle bus to the Shinjuku train station and shopping area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

My team and I are really pleased you enjoyed our hotel and were impressed with our product and service.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hilton Tokyo

Been to Hilton Tokyo? Share your experiences!