“Anniversary Splurge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kozue

Kozue
3-7-1-2 Nishishinjuku | Park Hyatt Hotel 40F, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture 163-1055 , Japan
+81 3-5323-3460
Dining options: Reservations
Tucson AZ
“Anniversary Splurge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

I was convinced not to eat at this spot- after all, we are in Tokyo, we can get great Japanese food EVERYWHERE. My husband convinced me that we should make the big splurge for our anniversary- and we had a fabulous evening. Food and service both wonderful. The view expansive. I know we paid a lot for the food, but we will only do this once!

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

83% Recommend
Asia
“Not for everyone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

This is an expensive place.

I had the New Year lunch menu with only two options. We had come all this way so we took the Y9.5K instead of the cheaper Y6K.

The first dish was a starter with some blowfish meat in tofu. You see the Google map on your right? The piece is about 75% (looking top down) of the map. The blowfish is eaten during winter as apparently the poison is at the lowest. (See what I mean by this is not for everyone?)

All the fish were fresh. By that, I mean that I had eaten sashimi that somehow felt fishy. Nothing like that here.

The three of us, having ordered the same set, were served sometimes the food in one large pot/bowl/serving dish. Most eye-catching must be the sashimi that came in a kind of porcelain giant clamshell. There was a layer of ice and then some leaves and then the fish.

The food was tasty with nothing being particularly salty or sweet.

At the end, we all felt just right. Neither sated nor wishing for more.

On the service: yes, it is somewhat deficient. I had to ask for my tea to be topped up. Puzzling given that my tea came in a glass pot. I don't expect to have to remind the waitstaff in a fine dining place.

Should you go?

You can probably get the same quality of fresh seafood at a restaurant at the fish market and at a fraction of the cost. But there is no giant clamshell as your serving dish, no plating of the food, no ice below your fresh fish. And no scenic view of Tokyo.

When reserving, ask for a table with that view.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Belo Horizonte, MG
“Low-level quality on the 40th floor”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Expectations were high as we travelled on the lift to the 40th floor of the Hyatt Park Hotel in Jinjuku, Tokyo, to celebrate my friend’s birthday. Unfortunately, however, Kozue turned out to be just another one of those restaurants where you pay much more for the view than for the quality of the food and service. The décor is formal and charmless with huge and heavy wooden tables, common to many airport restaurants or to 5-star hotels all over the world. Our 7-dish signature menu came in nice plates and bowls that impressed us at first but left a lot to be desired after we tasted them. Altogether, we had two menus, two beers and two waters for over 350 US dollars. Quite expensive for what we got and a big birthday disappointment for my friend.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
london
“Surprisingly impressive...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

Kozue is situated at the top floors of Park Hyatt Hotel and has a great view. İt is a spacious restaurant with plenty of distance between tables. We tried to gourmet menu, which has an excellent introduction to contemprary Japanese cooking. Sevrvice is very good and efficient; sake and wine list is also impressive, Kozue despite the setting and the quality of the dishes and service costs less than other comparable restaurants. Highly recommended indeed.

Visited November 2013
Oslo, Norway
“HIGHly dissapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

The view is spectacular, but that's it. We had reserved a window seating which we didn't get. The service varied a great deal. First we had one waiter who was quick to take our order, but took forever to bring our drinks. When she arrived she had forgotten our water. Also they always forgot to replenish our water as well, and my wife's cranberry juice. They were slow with bringing out the food, but I kinda like that. The food in itself was average at best. We ordered a 5 course menu. The first dish consisted of 7 small japanese delicacies, in which 2 were good, 3 okay, and 2 aweful. The next 4 courses varied a great deal like the service. The best thing was the desert which was fantastic. However the main dish which was fun and interesting was complicated to eat since we had to make it ourselves and we didn't get any information on how we were supposed to do it. Here is were the service changed. One of the other waitresses saw us struggling, and us doing it all wrong so she took control of our table and the service was spot-on from there on out. The worst dish was the fourth which was basically a bowl of noodles, literally. And it was over-seasoned with some pepper-herb. My wife asked me jokingly if the noodles i'd had at a shady back alley noodlebar earlier in the day was better and I had to laugh because those noodles had been fantastic, and at 1/10 the price. The worst thing by far was the bill. I've never had a feeling like i'm being kicked in the gut when I've signed my signature on a creditcard statement before.

• Visited October 2013