“Birthday lunch” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kozue

Kozue
3-7-1-2 Nishishinjuku | Park Hyatt Hotel 40F, Shinjuku 163-1055 , Tokyo Prefecture
+81 3-5323-3460
Dining options: Reservations
Singapore, Singapore
“Birthday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Went to this place on a Sunday for lunch and had a great time with the 10000yen pp offering. Great views and great Kaiseki food presentation with the autumn season. The quality of food was of good value for that price point. Would definitely return when I am in that vicinity. Service was excellent.

Visited December 2012

Panama City, Panama
“Great food, great view, great decor and ambience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Fine place. Very good experience, great food...and although it is traditional japanese, it is a good mix that makes it more palatable/appealing to jaded western, french and butter loving types. Fantastic view, great decor and ambiance. Go early and have a drink on the bar up stairs...very nice. Gai jins galore. It is a bit out of the way I tought, but worth while.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Take someone you hate for dinner here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The evening had started well - our friend Andy had proposed to his girlfriend, she had fortunately said yes, and all of us were looking forward to a celebratory dinner.

We all chose different set menus - the cheapest was about £100 whilst something in the middle was about £140 - not exactly given away, but then it was a special occasion.

The meal began badly with Andy unable to even swallow the first mouthful. I think he said it was something involving cod roe which usually shouldn’t have been a problem but the Kozue chefs had worked their dastardly magic and it was inedible. It should be said at this point that all of us are well-travelled, are not fussy eaters, like Japanese food and have eaten all over the world. This was something entirely different though.

Ten days on and looking at the picture of the menu I took, I still can’t believe how horrible it was. On paper it sounds good, and one of the courses I had reads as follows: “Kasugo snapper sushi, crushed prawns, young conger eel, warabi green jelly, miso vinaigrette, pickled egg yolk, simmered octopus with jelly, bonito terrine, jellied broth, wasabi stem, simmered cod roe, simmered konnyaku, sun- dried tofu, egg yolk.” No doubt all of this must have taken someone hours of work, but they should have spent it doing something else. The eels were small, translucent, slimy and tasteless and one wonders what they were supposed to bring to the party; the pickled egg yolk took two concerted swallows to get down; why the octopus needed to be in a brown jelly I do not know; the konnyaku is a vegetable that has the texture of spongy rubber and this particular piece also squirted miscellaneous fishy liquid into my mouth when I bit into it. This was a rather unwelcome surprise given my experience of vegetables in the past is that they are not prone to unexpected liquid emissions – and this is how I like them.

Each course brought new horrors, but irritatingly, not that new, since someone round the table had inevitably had the latest offering in a previous course and were able to warn the unlucky recipient of the impending unpleasantness with a certain amount of sadistic relish. The set menus were simply re-hashed versions of each other with the odd variation, but basically all containing the same kind of things.

The meal became a series of dishes at which Bear Grylls would have baulked and whilst we laughed a great deal about how horrible it all was, our experience was unanimous: this was the worst meal any of us have ever had anywhere in the world – be it from a restaurant, bar, café, street vendor, takeaway or private home. Oh yes, and at around £800 quite an expensive experience too.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Recommended for Kaiseki”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had booked my for my last day a kaiseki meal at the Park Hyatt, as I knew I would be packing and relaxing before the long journey back home. I was not to be disappointed. We had the most amazing meal, which far exceeded my expectations, even though I had been expecting something spectacular!!! Every course offered something different yet was complementary.
It was an absolute pleasure assault on the senses, and topped off by great service and the view.
The restaurant has a peaceful ambience, which I think allows you to focus on the food and enjoy the entire experience.
We accompanied our meal with a sparkling Saki, which was just fantastic!!!
If I go back to Japan, I will definitely want to do this again!!

Visited May 2012
Tokyo, Japan
“Fone japanese dining. Scenic view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Delicious lunch or diner. If your choise goes on the set menu, it will come beautifully wrapped in a luxurioux bento box. Even more sublime. Service is xtremely cautious but can be a bit slow. Traditional elegant diner with a view.