“Great food but expensive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mon cher ton ton Shinjuku

Mon cher ton ton Shinjuku
2-6 Nishishinjuku | Shinjuku Sumitomo Bldg 52F, Shinjuku 163-0252, Tokyo Prefecture (Shinjuku)
+81 3-3344-6761
Improve this listing
Ranked #19 of 5,324 Restaurants in Shinjuku
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Doing business, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shinjuku
“Great food but expensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

I guess this is one of the things one needs to do at least once. The food was amazing - kobe beef, foie gras, all prepared in front of you - fresh and very good. But you will pay..... Definitely worth it!!! We took the most expensive menu and in that case there is enough food, but don't expect to large quantities - it is about tasting small pieces more than anything. A very good chooce in Shinjuku.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Melbourne, Australia
“Yum!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Highly expensive, but very, very tasty. Kind of weird location as it is on 52nd floor of an office building, but great teppanyaki and good fun. Be prepared though, it is tokyo afterall - very $$$$

Visited June 2012
Singapore, null, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummilicious Steak (and Garlic Toast)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Ordered Set Lunch B and C and these were the most memorable:

- Garlic Toast was perfectly saturated with garlicky goodness.
- Sirloin Steak was tender and juicy but without the bloody taste (best steak ever!); it was served with pork fats and fried garlic that complemented it very, very well

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Food was so nice, if that's good enough for giving it another visit.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

My husband and I went there for teppanyaki the last night of our stay in Tokyo.

~About the food~
He ordered a Mon Cher Ton Ton when I had a Seryna. Nice seafood served, and what made it taste even better was the home-made sauce (for lobster) and the way the teppanyaki chef did the cooking. My husband tried the abalone on my dish (his was lobster), and placed two more orders of abalone (2 pcs per order) right away. We just couldn't stop it.

We asked for a medium rare cook for the beef, and the taste was real good. We liked it so much. Very nice quality.

What gave us a little nice surprise was the Japanese style salad which was a nice balance to the taste of seafood and beef. The vinegar sauce serving shredded vegetables in the salad was light and fresh.

Nice lobster soup. Garlic fried rice - good!

The last-but-not-least note goes to the garlic chips. They're nicely grilled and the taste and texture was unforgettable, even that's just a tiny little detail in the set meal.

The chef asked how much we liked garlic for the first thing of course.

Portion wise - fine, yet doubt if it's too small for men.

~About the chefs~
As usual, they serve diners' food by couples around the teppanyaki cooking table or by kind of "private" teppanyaki table for 4. There was one chef (who did not serve ours) who looked so "indifferent" throughout the time when we were there, or, I would even say, he looked so "cynical" that I would definitely feel we're not welcomed if he was the one to serve the dinner.
Luckily it wasn't he who prepared the food for us, but I felt a bit uneasy when I couldn't avoid looking at him when he walked pass the chef's area. The others are nice, as usual. Well, interesting though, when this was the first and only experience I've ever had when dining in Japan.

~About the serving pace~
Too fast if for fine-dining. Not sure if it's due to the limited seats for diners who keep filling up any vacancies. I felt a bit hasty to catch up with the food already served.

I would go visit the one in Roppongi next time and explore the difference.

• Visited February 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tokyo
“Avoid this restaurant to avoid disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The teppanyaki chef completed his job within an hour and we felt we're fed. There's always another couse ready before we finished the earlier course. We ordered the most expensive Kobe beef set menu which comprised foie gras and Kobe beef. The foie gras was fried for about a minute on each side and hence the inside was still cold when it was served. For the Kobe sirloin, we demanded for medium rare. It was fried for about one minute on each side but the inside was also cold when served. The plates for serving the beef weren't warmed before and hence the meat placed on them cooled down quickly. I wouldn't expect dinner at this pricey restaurant could be finished just over an hour.

• Visited February 2012