“Reliable hotel worthy of the Western brand in an excellent location.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel Tokyo

Save Saved
You added Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel Tokyo to your Saves list
Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel Tokyo
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-2-9 Kabukicho, Shinjuku, Tokyo Prefecture 160-0021, Japan   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Great Deals from our HP!!
Ranked #4 of 69 hotels in Shinjuku
London
“Reliable hotel worthy of the Western brand in an excellent location.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Best Western Shinjuku Astina in Kabukicho-1 wins the most points for its location, roughly 8 minutes' walk from the central transit hub of Tokyo. Although the neighborhood is a combination of London's Soho and Victoria areas, in Tokyo this brings all of the good and none of the bad.

The hotel is adequate if no-frills. The "Executive Lounge" is one long meeting table with 8 chairs and a free coffee maker; there is no business center, gym, pool, or spa. The television has one channel in English (CNN), and an unnecessarily complicated pay-TV system. Make no mistake: the hotel is squarely a Best Western (not Plus or Premier, either!), but it is perfectly 3-star.

The worst part of our stay experience was the hotel restaurant, Stella. We had both daily breakfast buffet (included in the room rate) and lunch buffet there, and they were borderline-disgusting. I had to force myself to find something nutritious each day, and was grateful that previous visits to Japan had given me a taste for miso soup and rice in the morning! I would have preferred to have the money for breakfast back in my pocket and purchase from the 24-hour convenience store on the ground floor -- which is exactly what we did.

The hotel has a convoluted system (designed to keep the cash in its account) whereby unused breakfast tokens can be used for JPY1000 off the lunch buffet (JPY1500, also not worth eating) or JPY1000 towards a purchase from the souvenir curio cabinet or JPY500 in the downstairs store. Skipping a day's maid service also gives you a JPY500 Best Western voucher that can only be used in the Shinjuku Astina towards lunch or tchotchkes, as above. Given that major Western chains (including other Best Western properties) compensate guests with cash off the bill or loyalty program points, this voucher system is unacceptable.

As expected in Japan, the staff are friendly and capable; collectively, their English-language skills are good (although individual variation is huge). They were essential to making the stay run smoothly.

For another stay in Tokyo at this price point, I wouldn't hesitate to book the Best Western Shinjuku Astina.

Room Tip: The rooms have excellent "wet rooms", i.e., a shower and tub in a glass-enclosed area; we...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

936 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

I've visited Shinjuku a number of times, but this was the first time I stayed at this hotel, which opened just a few years ago. The price was better than most similar hotels in this area, so I chose it based on its high rating on Tripadvisor. I was very pleased. The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, the bathroom has everything you need, and the bed is very comfortable. The rooms are small by western standards, but this is Tokyo after all! The included breakfast had both Japanese and Western items, and was nothing fancy, but perfectly fine. And best of all, the hotel is located just a short walk from Shinjuku station, making it easy to get to/from Narita airport on the Narita Express train. And it is even closer to the nearest Metro station. As some other reviewers noted, the hotel is located in Kabukicho, which is the "entertainment" district. So you will occasionally get offered "services" as you walk on the street. But this is a minor inconvenience, and should not dissuade anyone from choosing this hotel. (There's a lovely path along the back side of the hotel, which takes you directly to Yasukini-dori, if you want to avoid the commercial scene.) I would higly recommend this hotel if you want a great value for a central Tokyo location.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the main street will be a bit noisier, particularly on weekends. But the double pan...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Clovelly, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The hotel itself is fairly generic and the service was fine but not especially outstanding. Still, it's a new and good looking hotel, and the double room is a good size by Tokyo standards. The bed was comfier than average and the bathroom and toiletries were all very good. Coupled with the amazing location in the Kabukicho area of Shinjuku, we felt this hotel was excellent value for money. Yes, there are a few "characters" hanging around outside but for us Kabukicho was fun, lively and exciting and we felt safe wandering around at all hours of the night/morning. Right next door to the Golden Gai, one of the most awesome and unique nightlife areas in the world - absolutely unbeatable! Would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Tiny rooms, but very well equipped. Comfortable bed, free internet (bring your own router if you want wifi), tea and coffee making facilities, decent breakfast included, Lawson convenience store on the ground floor, close to shops an restaurants. Recommended.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ASTINA20080323, お客様担当マネージャー at Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel Tokyo, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear NPUk,

Thank you very much for your review.

It is a pleasure to hear that you were satisfied with your stay.
We have included wi-fi in all rooms now. If you would like to use them, please ask the reception team for usage directions.

Once more, we appreciate your warm comments and we looke forward to seeing you again.

Lithgow, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Hubby and I really enjoyed our stay at Best Western Shinjuku. The room was small, but hey, you get that with Japanese hotels - the one we stayed at in Kyoto was waaaayy cramped. Even though Best Western was small, I didn't feel cramped at all. The room was very clean and the bed was soft. The TV was a good size. The staff were great, their english wasnt too shabby and a lot of them have a great sense of humour! We asked for alsorts of stuff like, where is the nearest and best Karaoke places, we went to the golden cat one.. Had a hoot of a time.. Just book more than 1.5 hours - time flies when you're belting out 70's hits!

I had one little hiccup and I have to say, it was the only incident we had on the two week trip in Japan. Please let me stress, this is NOTHING to do with the staff or the hotel. In fact, the staff were very considerate and fell over themselves to help me after the event as I was quite shaken. I encountered a very drunk sexually aggressive African (I think he was african, there are a lot of africans loitering outside the fronts of stores near the hotel) at the Lawsons convenience store underneath the hotel. He was trying to get me to have sex with him!! In no way was I dressed provocatively (demure dress and tights to keep the sun off me) or tried to interact with him. Like mostly everyone else there, I was purchasing a few small sundries. Needless to say, if I was in my country I would have 'decked' (hit) him, he was disgusting and gross. This was at 10.30 AM on a weekday. If you want to avoid these types of people, you can access the hotel around the back lane which is the lane way between the hotel and the Golden Gai (awesome fun place). As I mentioned, the staff at Best Western Shinjuku were very helpful towards me, concerned for my wellbeing after that event. I was concerned that individual was going to follow me upstairs and harass other hotel patrons.

Breakfast is very good. They have a very satisfactory selection of Japanese and western breakfast things. Hubby and I tucked into Miso soup every morning as well as our usual eggs and toast. The staff at breakfast and very professional - the lady that greeted us upon arrival for brekkie was very sweet! She is a lovely lovely Malay lady who spoke fantastic Japanese (of course) and she has a beautiful smile and has a very warm engaging personality. I enjoyed my brief interactions with her.

We chose the hotel due to its location and price as well as from other reviews here on Trip Advisor! The Reservations department was very efficient as Hubby dealt directly with the Hotel. The price was very reasonable for a 8 day stay. Location wise, we were close to a lot of things. The hotel is extremely close to Subnade exit B15, which leads to the rest of Shinjuku station.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ASTINA20080323, お客様担当マネージャー at Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel Tokyo, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Daschmitz,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write a review on your stay with us.

We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at Best Western Shinjuku.
But at the same time We feel sorry about the incident occured during your stay. We hope you are well after that and have no traumas whatsoever towards Tokyo or the Shinjuku area.

Your comments will be passed on to our colleagues for further insipiration in their service.
We hope to see you at our hotel again in the future.

Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Location was great, a couple block walk from one of the main drags Yasukuni Dori & Shinjuku station. I had read reviews/google search's that the hotel was located in the red light district. I did see a few people in animated outfits, anyhow I couldn't even tell the difference or notice anything. Checking in was efficient, breakfast an okay variety, though it seems to be included with most rates makes up for the super small rooms. Enough for 1 person with a comfortable bed & modern, I didn't mind. Also there is a Lawson's which was pretty handy at ground level next to the escalator/elevator. Overall a good stay, I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Dear Michelle808,

Thank you very much for writing the review of your stay.

It is a pleaure to hear that you felt safe while you were staying with us, as we aim to maintain the hotel to be a safe and quiet place, different from the busy city.

I once more appreciate your comments regarding your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Tokyo.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Our family of 3 stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. We stayed on one of the executive floors, twin type A room.

What we liked:
The hotel is in a central and convenient location, about 5 minutes walk to subway entrance -to reach the Shinjuku station took about 10 min. A convenient store is located downstairs.
Breakfast was included, a fairly good selection of Japanese and western food are available.
Our room was nice and clean, bathroom was of a decent size with a tub.
Nice toiletries provided daily(Crabtree and Evelyn)
Friendly staff
Lots of places to eat around the hotel

What we didn't like: -not so much about the hotel but about its surrounding
Surrounding of the hotel after 10pm - the red light district becomes alive. Although we were not disturbed, it's still not great for kids.
We saw some VERY drunk girls in the morning around 9am...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear PYPF

We appreciate your writing a review on your stay with us.

The amenities, Crabtree and Evelyn, are specially arranged in Executive rooms.
The surroundings can be disturbing especially for small children. To avoid the lively city, we recommend guests to take the passage on the back side.
We hope that you were able to feel safe and relaxed when staying inside the hotel.

Thank you once more for your review, and we hope you will be returning with us in the future.

Been to Best Western Shinjuku Astina Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!