“Awesome Spaghetti!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Houston, Texas, United States
“Awesome Spaghetti!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2014 NEW

I visited Japan several times. I'm not a seafood nor pork lover, so I struggled to find food that I enjoyed. Once my boyfriend at the time took me to this place, I was hooked! La Bisboccia had the best spaghetti I have ever had...anywhere!

The atmosphere was nice and they were able to sit large groups fairly quickly. I suspect our large group made a reservation.

If I can go back to Japan one day, I will for sure visit this restaurant again.

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Best Italian in Tokyo that I know”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2014

Last time I went there was probably in Oct 2012 but the experience was so unforgettable that I had to write a review.
It is by far the best Italian restaurant I have been in Japan, and there are a lot, really a lot of Italian restaurants in Japan.

So if you want a wonderful experience, you won't regret it.
Only 2 things to know: you need to reserve in advance, and don't forget your credit card as price is definitely not what I would classify "affordable".

San Francisco, California
“"CERTIFIED" Italian in Tokyo- Go slow and enjoy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

Where do people go for Italian if they live in Tokyo?
My trusted friend suggested La Bisboccia, an establishment certified by Italy (actually Italian government) as "Autentico Ristorante" (Authentic Restaurant).
Wow! I didn't know the Italian government did that.
The exterior is a semicircular cement structure with medium size wood framed windows covered by curtains- looks a bit "cold". The interior has 3 rooms- Main (white curved ceiling with brick arches and a full bar), Parco (small dining room 12 people) and Salone (wood covered ceiling with log beams and iron chandeliers)- Very "warm" feeling.
We dined in the Salone, very cozy. The size of the dishes are made for one, but you can order multiple dishes and share them.
La Bisboccia presents their plates the old fashion way, as I like to put it. The waiter shows you the different pasta available, each with their distinct flavors- angel hair with truffle oil, fettuccine with mushroom oil, mandala with celery oil, etc.... The fish is presented on a tray of ice. The meat, from various regions in Japan and some from Australia, is presented on another tray.

Now, the meal:
Started off with steamed mussels in wine sauce (one of their specials) and Calamari Fritti
Another special for tonight was angel hair with White Truffles (Tartufo Bianco, 白トリュフ)- Oh yes, DEFINITELY! Delicious if you are a truffles fan. You get a serving of angel hair (the size of two medium scoops of ice cream) cooked with truffle oil and topped with large shavings of truffle- very rich and enough to prepare you for the main entrees.

Next, SPAGHETTI ALLE VONGOLE VERACI (clams) and FETTUCINE ALLA BOLOGNESE (meat sauce) as our pasta dishes. Pasta was nicely prepared, al dente. The clams were prepared with white wine and garlic. The meat sauce was full of flavor without any excess oil.

Main entrees- PESCE ALLA GRIGLIA (grilled fish of the day) and FILETTO DI MANZO GIAPPONESE (Filet Mignon from Wagyu beef). La Bisboccia had several "fish of the day" choices. We chose Tai (sea bream)- Japan's "king of fish" which was moist, evenly textured, not too firm or too soft and easily melted in our mouths. The filet mignon from Wagyu beef took this restaurant to another level. Wagyu is ubiquitous in Japan and a lot of places even carry Kobe beef. So, you can't really tell unless you eat it .The filet was medium rare (only way to cook it) and the BEST piece of Wagyu I had ever sank my teeth into. I almost thought I was in a steak restaurant. A few descriptors for this FILETTO DI MANZO GIAPPONESE- juicy, perfectly marbled, perfectly seared, adequately seasoned, just the right size, unless you are sharing. You will have a lot of choices of meat dishes as you can see on the menu in their website, but so far I like the Filetto Di Manzo Giapponese the most (I've been their several times since)

Dessert- we went for the lemon meringue sponge cake, tiramisu and another dish (looks like tiramisu). The sponge cake was soft, fluffy, moist and not too sweet. The tiramisu was a perfect blend of egg yolk and mascarpone; could of use more rum (but that's more of a personal preference). Their desserts are fabulous!!!- by the way, you can order 2 desserts and they will give you half of a regular order of each one and just charge you the price of one. NICE!

Languages- They speak Italian, Japanese and English
Dress code- casual. Most people wore shirts, polo t-shirts, etc.
No t-shirts, shorts, flip-flops
Atmosphere- casual, you can speak with a medium voice and no one will care. Everyone is having a good time!
Be it intimate with your special person, or bonding with your family or relaxing with your friends- you can not go wrong with La Bisboccia.
Great food! Great time! Great Experience!

NOTE: I read most of the reviews before posting mine, just to make sure I didn't get some lucky experience by accident. 95% of the people enjoyed this restaurant. Only 2 people didn't- they almost used the same ID- I think they are a couple- JUST a guess. One commented about the walls being written on, like that of a public bathroom. The comments on the walls are all positive and not at all like the "scribbles" in a public bathroom. I kind of like this original innovative way of allowing some of their patrons to show their appreciation instead of writing comments in a book which no one reads. I think these 2 reviewers were upset because they couldn't get "fast food" prices for high quality food- an impossible scenario. Again, JUST a guess. These 2 reviewers also stated that the cost is that of a Michelin 3 star restaurant- uh, no. Way off (a lot less expensive) and that is not a guess. I've been to Michelin 3 stars- check my other reviews. Cost is $$ to $$$ depending on how much you eat. We ate a lot, so cost was $100-200 US dollars

Some of my photos are 1/2 size portion which means I had the waiter split the dish in half to share with my significant other before serving.

• Visited September 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Italian food in Tokyo, good as original ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2014

What can I say about this place, heavenly Italian food combined with Japanese beef and service.

What a great dinner, Japanese beef steak, homemade pasta with truffle......

Yummy.... For a change in Tokyo

“Simply amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014

If you are looking for a fantastic dining experience this is THE place to go, without question. When you dine at a place like this it's about the total experience not just the food. The ambiance, the food, the presentation and especially the service (ask for Luca) make your dining experience simply amazing! My fellow Americans, if you are looking for olive garden type comfort food, this is not the place to go.