“This is one great tonkatsu experience for my taste buds.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 4,421 restaurants in Shibuya
Cuisines: Japanese
“This is one great tonkatsu experience for my taste buds.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I never did enjoy tonkatsu but this time, food at Tonkatsu Maisen at Omotesando Hills won me over. The batter was the right crispness and the tonkatsu was not oily. The meat was tender and juicy. Our family of 5 started our walk from Harajuku station and walked up the steep Omotesando Hills, huffing from breathlessness and had sore calves and feet but it was worth the trip. English menu with photos were a sure relief. This being the flagship store, they retained the old restaurant interior which gave a feeling of tranquility to enjoy your meal in contrast with the bustling neighborhood famed for shopping. We ate again at another of their outlets in Shibuya on the eve of our departure. Food quality was consistent but the flagship store at Omotesando Hills is the ultimate.

Visited June 2013

89% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chigasaki, Japan
“Best tonkatsu (pork cutlet) in all of Japan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Make sure to order the Kurobuta Rosu set. (Black Pork cutlet, loin cut). You will not be disappointed. This meal alone is worth a trip to Japan. And if anyone recommends a place called Tonki to you, fly kick them in the head for me. This place beats it hands down! Also, just a little factoid, but this restaurant has history! It used to be a bath house (obviously sanitized and brought up to casual-fine dining standards since) back in WWII.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice Food, Wonderful Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I had such a difficult place finding this restaurant, and I would not have gotten to eat the wonderful and tasty tonkatsu but for the kind help of a wonderful Japanese lady who walked me the entire way to the entrance of the restaurant. To be honest, maybe much of my difficulty was due to the fact that it was really dark out and I couldn't see the signs leading to the restaurant so perhaps going in the afternoon would have been a much, much better choice.

That being said, the tonkatsu was really nice and crispy, and was not excessively oily. The staff were extremely kind and helpful too, in telling me exactly how to mix the seasoning and eat the radish (I never realised I ate it wrongly when I was in Singapore). Furthermore, the menu is partially in English, and there are some English speaking staff there who were called over to serve us due to the difficulty of us understanding Japanese. To say the service was excellent would be an understatement.

To conclude and summarize, nice food (though not necessarily awesome/something to rave endlessly about), wonderful atmosphere and excellent service.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
brisbane, australia
“Delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

The famous Maisen restaurant was easier to find that we had thought. There are a number of directional signs starting at Omotesando A3 exit. We went for early lunch and avoided the crowds although it filled up fast.
The building used to be an old bath house and the restaurant seemed to consist of a number of contiguous eating areas. We ate out at the rear and the high battened ceilings were from the original building. The service was swift, the menu available in English and we went with the pork loin which was crunchy, plump and juicy and tasty. Choice of sauces and lots of traditional shredded cabbage salad to accompany it. Not to mention cold beer. Yummy!

Visited May 2013
London
“Worth Waiting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Always a good sign if you have to wait for a table - at least in Japan they supply waiting seats.
Regular tonkatsu is good but the premium stuff is awesome!

• Visited May 2013