“Great value cleanest possible” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku

Save Saved
You added Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku to your Saves list
Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2-3-1 Yoyogi, Shibuya, Tokyo Prefecture 151-0053, Japan   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #3 of 28 hotels in Shibuya
Sydney, Australia
“Great value cleanest possible”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Location Location, for what we paid was amazing, we got three rooms and all were spotless, so clean I found myself looking for anything resembling dust! I stayed 7 nights and my room was serviced each day and got cleaner and cleaner!! Location was a ten out of ten! Sure as a Australian used to staying in five star hotels it was small without a view, but I would stay here again anytime if your having a holiday where you only use your hotel to sleep! Breakfast was fine,the windows open which I loved as the air was so clean, shower was actually really good, also a surprise. Any negs,no gym,no pool, and as mentioned before wifi is awful, only available lounge, next to useless, or in the foyer, which is why whenever you walk in its packed with tourists!! I would pay more for wifi in my room anyday!! Thats my only complaint!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

2,307 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

There really isn't much else to say about this hotel - after reading through all these reviews, I am so thankful for Tripadvisor because it helped me choose the best places to stay for my Japan holiday with my husband.

Just a couple of things to add:
1. We were very fortunate to have taken the Chuo line/exit from the Shinjuku Station when we first arrived from Kyoto because it seems to be the most direct way we could figure out. We were with two heavy luggages that we could still manage to drag across from the station to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, check in was relatively fuss free. Well, except for the fact that the male receptionist thought I was the mother and my husband the son! (We are of the same age, mind you.)
2. Room was good though a little small but like everyone says, this is Japan. I like that they provided comfortable room slippers with a little note to assure us that "These slippers were cleaned." Indeed, a great place to stay and base yourself when sightseeing in Tokyo - we stayed four nights here and liked the location a lot.
3. No wifi in rooms. I'm not sure why hotels don't already allow wifi in rooms. It's almost a basic necessity. You usually end up hanging around with other guests in the lobby for 15 to 30 minutes every day tapping on the hotel wifi that is available only at the lounge or second floor.
4. There is no concierge but the receptionists are usually attentive enough and can speak enough English to help you find your way around. They have this helpful sheet of paper with the best train routes to common and popular sightseeing areas.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I stayed here from 29th March to 8th April 2012 for Sakura. It is very near to Shinjuku station, krispy kreme, shinjuku and keio bus terminal. A very convenient base to travel around tokyo city itself and travel out to Hakone and Kawaguichiko. The price is around 150-160 a night, its cheap. As a first time traveller to tokyo, this is the perfect hotel. With or without breakfast is fine as there are alot of alternatives for breakfast out there. The room is very small and the double bed is only 140 cm wide, but hey, this is japan, what do you expect. Staff understand english and heater/AC is working great. We went through a slight earthquake and it is safe.

From Narita airport, you can take the narita express or keio bus transfer. Going to Ueno, Ebisu, Harajuku, Shibuya, Asakusa, Roppongi, tsukiji and Disney is a breeze from here too. with Keio bus terminal, I was able to hope onto a bus and took a 2 hour bus ride to Kawaguichiko for a night ryokan stay for onsen and view of Mount Fuji.

Thank you Sunroute!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

Many good things have been said about this hotel, but I felt what was really lacking is availability of wifi. I travelled without a laptop on this trip, fully expecting to use my smartphone for internet access. To my disappointment, wifi was only available in the guest lounge on the second floor, and even then, the connection was very poor and I was unable to access the Internet.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We spent three nights here and loved it. It's in a very convenient location once you know how to get to it from Shinjuku station (we found video directions on YouTube!) The entrance gives the feeling of a very classy hotel. All the staff we met were very polite, helpful and spoke enough English to help us check in and advise us of breakfast times etc. The breakfast had plenty of variety with either Japanese style options or continental style choices.
The only downside for us was that as a family of 4 we had to stay in 2 separate rooms as there were not any family rooms or adjoining rooms available (they may have them but not available while we were there) The rooms are absolutely tiny (apparently this is very normal for Toyko) so when we all sat together chatting in one room it was very squashy but funny at the same. Its not a big problem as there is always the beautiful lobby to hang out in.
We have very happy memories of our stay at Hotel Sunroute Plaza, Shinjuku.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

This was my second stay in 3 years, and the standards of this hotel are as fantastic as before.

The hotel in general is modern and classy looking, particularly the wonderful reception lobby area. The staff are very welcoming and friendly, able to speak and understand basic English.

The easy to find location and proximity to the train station (about 5mins walk for me 38 and my mother 63), restaurants, and awesome shopping is extremely convenient.

The room itself was clean (and maintained as such), modern, and roomy by Japanese standards. And there was a small room near the elevators containing drink vending machines, and pay TV voucher machine.

I wouldn't stay anywhere but here when coming to Tokyo in future. Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku is #1 for me!

Tips
- from JR Shinjuku Station, we found it easiest to come out at the big South East exit, head towards the big white and orange clock of "First Kitchen". If we saw that, we knew we were going in the right direction!

- there is a "Family Mart" convenience store directly across from the hotel. Very handy to stop in at the end of the day to grab a quick cheap dinner (noodles, katsu, sushi etc), and some breakfast (chocolate filled pancakes yummm) for the next morning.

- there is a guest lounge on the second floor with Internet access computers, and u can get free wifi on your smart phone here too!

• Stayed November 2012
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here during a short business trip in 2010. It was very convenient to get to, both from the train station and from the airport bus shuttle drop off. Each left you with less than 100 meters to navigate on foot. Ideally placed for access to Shinjuku.

Rooms are typically small, but scrupulously clean, and service is impeccable. A great choice for low maintenance travellers like ourselves. Everything works the way it should and it is clean

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku? Share your experiences!