“Excellent location and good rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu

Save Saved
You added Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu to your Saves list
Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-12-2 Dogenzaka, Shibuya, Tokyo Prefecture 150-0043, Japan   |
Ranked #5 of 28 Hotels in Shibuya
Copenhagen
“Excellent location and good rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel is located right in the heart of Shibuya and very near the Shibuya station that will take you to all places in Tokyo very easy. The hotel itself is a high-rise so if possible get yourself a room high up from where you will have amazing views. The lobby is on third floor and you can access the hotel from the street and the train station. The room we stayed in was large (we paid extra for an upgrade) and stayed on 23rd floor. Two large twin beds, sofa, separate toilet and bathroom and huge panoramic windows. The breakfast restaurants is on 25 floor also with amazing views. Be early as the restaurant is small. Breakfast was not that great, not enough choices of food. So if you are paying extra for breakfast think twice.

Room Tip: We stayed on 23rd floor with great views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We recently stayed at the Shibuya Excel for 5 nights. It was our first time in Tokyo and I must say, this hotel is great! The location is awesome and is right across the street from the shibuya station, which has basically every train line you could need. The hotel overlooks the main square, so we had a great view, but it was still really quiet at night.

The rooms are small, but not unbearable. They are very clean and the bathroom was nice. There was free wifi in the room and it worked great. The hotel staff was friendly, but didnt speak english that well, so we didn't use them a ton for recommendations. I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would highly recommend it to my friends. The overall experience and price were very good!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This hotel is geared more for the young and hip party goer or Business Traveler as the area is filled in drinking (Izakaya's) places and its proximity to Harajuku. Nevertheless the location of the hotel is great:

The Pros:
1.) Direct drop-off to the hotel by the Airport Limousine Bus from Narita. (prepare for a really windy and cold arrival upon exit from the bus as the parking lot is open).
2.) Access to the 4th Floor Food hall of the Mark City Mall next door is a plus (access to Mark City is better on the 3rd floor than the Lobby because of the tight lift provided by the mall from lobby to 4th floor).
3.) Proximity to the Tokyu Supermarket and Shibuya train station across the street. The Tokyu supermarket is the best place to grab some Sushi or Sashimi for Dinner. They offer 20% discount after 6PM and rivals the quality in some of the best restaurants. Remember, the supermarket not the food hall right outside it. Just buy some soy sauce in the supermarket as they don't offer it for free.
4.) There are also a lot of reasonable eating outlets to the left of the Hotel (upon exit from the G/F lobby). Soba, Ramen, Yakiniku, Donburi, everything you want in such a small area!
5.) There are a lot of vending machines in the hotel lobby even a washing machine in the vending area per floor of the hotel.
6.) Access to Starbucks (3rd Floor) and Excelsior Cafe (4th floor) in Mark City. Great sandwiched in Excelsior as well.

The Cons:
1.) The Shibuya area is filled with young people, this is the only reason I can attribute to the area being generally dirtier than the rest of Tokyo. Small trash can be seen everywhere. Compare this to the Ginza area and other nearby areas and you will know what I mean.
2.) We left used cups and teaspoon from the tea service in the room and came back to find then un-washed when we returned. I really don't know if its customary in Japan not to have this cleaned by the maid service.
3.)The cleaning service was generally not that good. We only found the room really clean (1) night out of the (4) nights we stayed. We constantly found our used Starbucks coffee cups still lying on the floor next to the trash bin due to it being filled already.
4.) You will constantly hear the train all night (stayed in the 8th floor). So this will be a problem if you are a light sleeper. Just drink a 500ml can of beer from the vending machine and you will be all set for the night. :-)

Some tips for Families with Strollers or Baby Prams:
1.) When taking the train.Take the South Entrance of the Shibuya Station (to the right when you cross the street). This is where the lift is located, took me 10 min. just to find it.
2.) Most of the restaurants in the 4th floor Food Hall of Mark City next door is very child friendly.
3.) Remember to take the 3rd floor access to Mark City from the hotel and just go (1) flight up the escalator.
4.) Most if not all convenience stores do not sell fruit so if you want or need some for your baby or what not get it from the Supermarket (the Tokyu supermarket is small so go off-peak hours) or the fruit stand right outside to the right of the Hotel G/F exit.
5.) ask the hotel for extra towels for your babies as they wont give you extras unless requested.
6.) The Hotel doesnt offer baggage assistance so expect to log your own luggage to and from the lobby and/or bus.

You will see that the Pro's out-way the Con's but given my experience here and in Shinjuku, I think we will try Ginza next. I think it is much more laid-back and definitely cleaner.

Room Tip: You have to pay more to get the upper floors.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the second time I am posting this review. TA told me initially that it did not contain enough "information" to make it relevant. As a senior reviewer I find this very surprising and disappointing. I feel the information I have supplied genuine and helpful for people in a similar situation. I have travelled the world and am trying my best to not lose my faith in the site I have had so much faith in. So, TA, will you publish my honest account of my family's stay? Here it is.

As stated by previous reviewers this hotel is fantastically situated. Couldn't fault location. Upon attempted check in after an overnight flight with 2 very tired children they flatly refused any sort of leeway with check in. I would have happily paid extra for this but it was not offered. As such my kids pretty much cried in the foyer for 4 hours while we valiantly tried to settle them. Very disappointing. Hotel facilities were fine. No other complaints.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

location is the best! It is in the middle of everything. Restaurants,shops and underground train is just in front of hotel. There is airport shuttle bus which is convenience and help me save a lot of money(taxi is very expensive).
Room is small but clean in contemporary design.I also got massage chair in room!
lovely business hotel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This hotel is located in an excellent location of Shibuya with lotsa shopping, restaurants and fast food chains around. The train service is just right below the hotel! How great is that! The room was clean and a little small but it's fine given the excellent view of the Shibuya from the top. During my 6 days stay in Tokyo, the staffs from the Housekeeping Dept never fails to tidy up my room and topping up the water in the boiler everyday! Thanks for going through the extra mile! Not to forget to mention, the wi-fi service in the room was excellent! No disruption and connection are really consistent and strong. The breakfast buffet at A Bientot on the 25th floor was tasty and great because you get to see Mount Fuji while dining. Excellent! I really enjoyed my stay with Shibuya Excel and I will definitely choose to stay in the same hotel again on my next trip.

Room Tip: If possible, choose high floors so you can have a view of the busy streets of Shibuya or have a view...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This hotel is superbly appointed- the best located in Tokyo. We had an issue with the room upon arrival- heavy smell of perfume (not something I brought up but noticed by the lady who checked us into a room). Without me mentioning it she had our rooms changed and we were given some complimentary breakfast coupons. I really appreciated that and I thought the Front Desk staff were really friendly and professional. The rooms are sound proofed, we could only get a room on the 7th floor because of the room change and I was apprehensive about being so close to the street and the train station- but it was really quiet and peaceful which was impressive. Overall I thought this a great hotel for the location and price- and I recommended it to three groups of friends who have made subsequent bookings in Feb and March. However one thing that was really, really appalling and actually quite rude- the Hotel Restaurant Manager. We spent 10 nights at this hotel- we spent a lot of money and I would consider myself a fairly good guest. We had breakfast on the 25th floor (which has amazing views btw)..we returned to our room but Room service were about to clean it. Instead of interupting them we decided to go to the lobby and let them complete. While down there I decided to get something to drink- it was Sunday morning and very quiet- my partner and I went into the lobby lounge restaurant, which is an open planned area. After being seated I ordered a 990yen smoothie- my girlfriend with me decided not to order anything as we had just eaten. Please bear in mind there were only 3 other people in there in approximately a 150 cover space. The server went away and a few minutes later a jumped up man (the Restaurant Manager) came over pointing at the menu and in poor English declared "one person, one order". I politely explained and showed him my key card that I was a guest at the hotel and was waiting for 5 minutes while our room was cleaned and that I would like to order a smoothie just for myself while we waited. He shook his head "one person, one order". UNBELIEVABLE. There were no signs pertaining to this..and one would think as the restaurant was virtually empty and that we were guests we have have been treated better. Basically we had to order something else or leave. As my partner and I were embarrassed (the other 3 Non-Guests in there were looking by now) I ordered a slice of cake as I did not want to get up and leave and upset my partner further. This incident was unacceptable- I couldn't really make any points to him as a) he was not listening and b) his English was poor. It ruined the stay in many ways- and I would not ever recommend anyone going in there. Shameful for what is a nice hotel. We would have eaten there a number of times but after this incident refused too- so in the long run they lost income from this dreadful, dreadful service.

Room Tip: Be polite and ask for as high a floor as possible! :)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shibuya Excel Hotel Tokyu? Share your experiences!