“Jumbo sushi at great prices” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 4,552 Restaurants in Shibuya
4.5 of 5 stars 222 Reviews
Cuisines: Sushi
Albany, New York
“Jumbo sushi at great prices”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Just had dinner at Sushi No Midori. This was my first time eating at a counter, so I was a little intimidated; but no need! The chef spoke English, and took care of me fine. It was a little cramped, with people leaving and new people sitting down, but at least I could see how others handled food and utensils and follow their lead. I was also apprehensive about finding the place, but no worries - just go to the 4th floor of Shibuya Mark City shopping center, the "restaurant row", and look for a long bench in the mall walkway where people are waiting to be seated inside the restaurant. I was there on Thu night at 6:45, and my wait (single person at a counter) was less than 10 mins.
I was given a menu that looked like a plastic place mat; English with pictures on one side, Japanese on the reverse. The choices were basically sushi assortments on the left side, and a la carte sushi selections on the right. There was also a booklet on the counter with other choices, but it was all in Japanese, unfortunately incomprehensible to me. Looked like there were many more choices to be had than what was on the English menu (there were also signs for "specials" on the wall) but of no use to me (I guess I could have asked the chef, but he seemed very busy).
I ordered the top-priced Sushi assortment, at least a dozen pieces (I lost count), with soup, appetizer, and dessert. All the raw sushi was served by the chef on a large platter closest to him (each counter space had its own rectangular platter in front of it); cooked selections, as well as soup and drinks, were brought by other waiters.
The sushi itself was fabulous. I am not a real connoisseur, I just like the stuff, and this was the first time I could not possibly complain about the quality and the portions. Small lumps of rice were totally subsumed by jumbo slabs of fresh, delicious fish flesh. There was no wasabi, just soy sauce, but I didn't miss it - it allowed me to experience the full sushi taste and feel.
With a large bottle of beer, the total bill came to 3,466 yen - less than $45! Truly unbeatable for Shibuya, Tokyo. And they took AmEx (along with all other cards as well).
I wish I had discovered it sooner!

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Seattle, Washington, United States
“Fabulous sushi -- and a bargain!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Went here on a business trip and sat at the sushi bar. I ordered the deluxe sushi plate. With 2 beers, my total bill came out to USD 40, which is remarkable in Tokyo. The dinner included a crab salad, miso soup and more sushi than I could finish. The medium-fatty tuna was literally to die for, and the rest of the sushi was superb.

Service was great. Very friendly and courteous.

I'll go back tomorrow.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sydney, Australia
“Made my day!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

The first thing you notice are the cheerful, shouted greetings from the chefs to each new customer! Warm welcome is followed by elaborately prepared sushi that i'm sad to say we just can't get at home. It was absolutely delicious! Doesn't look like much from the outside but the long line of locals outside was a good clue! Don't miss it!

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hong Kong
“Great value for money sushi restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Had dinner at this sushi restaurant after an exhausting day of shopping. We arrived at the restaurant at around 7 and had to wait in line for about one hour. The taste of the sushi is good (but not as good as the ones at the fish market), but what really impressed us was the size of the sushi. They were HUGE! This restaurant is great value for money! For around 5000 Yen, my boyfriend and I ate so much sushi that our stomachs were about to burst.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Huge portions, but mediocre quality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

This is certainly a top value restaurant if you're a big eater, but the quality of the fish and preparation is only a 5/10 compared to something you'd get at Tsukiji or another top restaurant. If you're used to North American sushi then this will be the best you've had, but there are far better in Tokyo.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere