“Luxurious hospitality” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9-7-1 Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 107-6245, Japan   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #7 of 93 hotels in Minato
Durham, North Carolina
“Luxurious hospitality”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Not much I can say that hasn't been mentioned already. After a long flight and long drive from Narita airport, the warm and respectful hospitality from the moment my car arrived at the hotel was greatly appreciated. My driver called the hotel once we were close and they sent a valet to meet me at my car and escort me directly to my room without having to check in at the desk. This set the tone for the remainder of my stay. The other thing worth mentioning is the exceptional fitness center with a gorgeous view of Mount Fuji right from my treadmill.

612 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
NEW YORK, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days on the Club level. Beautiful property, lovely room, amazing bathroom. Very comfortable all around. Really enjoyed the Ritz-Carlton club -- professional staff, very nice food and beverage presentation (though there doesn't seem to be any variation from day to day). I had three service issues that disappointed me and lead me to doubt whether I will return:

1. People treat the Club either as their personal conference room (groups as big as 10 or more colleagues working, shouting across multiple tables, running back and forth, etc.) or as their personal space (speaking so loudly on their cell phones that you can hear them at the complete opposite end of the lounge or playing videos on their laptops at full volume). Twice I had to leave and go back to my room because the atmosphere was so bad, but the staff does nothing about this I guess because they're too polite. Ruins it for everyone else.

2. Small detail, but it was near impossible to get a cup of coffee. Then, when you finally got one (a small cup) and finished it, the staff swooped in to clear it but rarely if ever asked if you wanted more, so you had to start the process all over.

3. I invited new business associates to meet in the lobby lounge for lunch before a meeting. We sat down for coffee at 11:00, knowing that lunch was served from 11:30. At exactly 11:30 we were given menus, and then spent the next 35 minutes trying in vain to order. From 12:05 until 12:20 we tried in vain to get a check to pay for our coffee so we could leave. Finally at 12:20 we walked out, arriving late for our meeting and having not eaten lunch. When I returned to the hotel, I informed the General Manager how embarrassed I had been by this experience. He apologized profusely, but made no offer of any kind to make up for it. Only when I tried to pay for our coffee did he say that he would pick up that charge. Definitely not what I would expect from the Ritz.

4. Hit the gym at 7:00 AM two mornings. The first day, the attendant stood talking to one guest for the entire 45 minutes I was there. You could not get his attention. The second day, he did not arrive until 7:25 and there were no towels or other amenities available until he showed up (though the gym is supposedly open 24 hours).

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Spent two nights at this hotel and paid extra for the club floor through the Amex platinum fine hotels website. The entire experience was just outstanding. The people at the hotel go out of their way to make you feel welcome and the views from the room, lobby, and club area are just outstanding. The bed was heavenly and the room was very large and comfortable. The included breakfast was very nice but maybe a little more limited in selection than I expected for the price. The location was great for shopping, walking, and connecting to the subway (although not the JR trains). The club floor had nice selections of alcohol and snacks throughout the day. I would say as cool and interesting as the lobby of the hotel was the club area was a little tired and dated. It could use a freshening up but the people working the lounge were so helpful and friendly. I would highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Tokyo. I'm surprised it is not at the top of the list on TA. We stayed at the Westin (which is rated higher than the ritz) 3 nights prior to our stay at the Ritz. The Ritz was much nicer than the Westin (however the Westin breakfast was slightly better). If you don't mind the price the Ritz is just a great place to stay in Tokyo.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the club floor and if traveling by train get the JR pass and spend extra for the green...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

An incredible location. Close to great shopping, food, yoga, massage, hair and nail salons. The view is gorgeous, each morning you can enjoy views of Mt. Fuji from the gym, pool, and jacuzzi. It's a great way to start a jet lagged day. The spa is a sanctuary, I had a traditional shiatsu massage followed by a steam, sauna, and hot and cold baths. I was floating. The only downside to this hotel is that the design is a bit traditional and dated, you need two different elevators to reach the lobby, and you need to standing line for check in. The Park Hyatt in Shinjuku does not have this issue, however their location is very remote. I would definitely go back to the Ritz.

Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

High levels of personal service, very warm and welcoming staff. Very comfortable bed and room layout was perfect. Spacious bathroom. Breakfast in room was super too. Located next to a mall for a stroll if you get some time in between meetings.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

This brand new Ritz occupies floors 45 to 52 of a building located in the trendy area Roppongi. It is connected to the Tokyo midtown mall and subway.

My assigned standard room (4922) offers a breathtaking view on Mount Fuji and Roppongi hills:
- The room is very spacious (52 m2) and the bathroom s huge, featuring 2 separate sinks and a separate shower/bathtub.
- The only thing I found curious was that a 800$/night hotel room would only offer instant coffee to the client and not an expresso machine. Otherwise everything else is luxurious and comfortable, including the very cushiony bed.

One disappointment during this stay: despite my Gold Marriott status, the Ritz would not offer me access to the lounge. I would have to pay an extra 100$.

The afternoon tea service in the lobby area seems to be quite popular although I did not try it, and in the evening there is live music with a singer. She was quite good.

The staff was friendly and fluent in English. Overall, this hotel is very impressive and I felt that quality-cost wise it is adequate.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor that offers view of Mt Fuji.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I am rating this hotel as a 4 for a ritz carlton, 4.5 for overall hotels. My husband stayed here for 2 weeks on business while I flew out to visit him for 5 days. The location is in a happening side of town that is more known for its bar and club scene. It's also a bust city area that has mini-malls and restaurants nearby. The major shopping area, omotesando is about 1.5 miles walk. At $800+ per night, we expected nice quality and we found it. Below are my ratings:

Accommodations: nice accommodations. Not spectacular but nice. The decor didn't wow me, however the floor-to-ceiling windows in the lobby (on the 45th floor of bldg) and in the club lounge did show beautiful city views. You can even see mt Fuji when it's clear out. The beds in the room were comfortable and the toilet seats were heated. Loved that touch.

Club lounge- we had daily access to the club lounge which is where I ended up eating several times per day since I am vegetarian and I would have starved to death in Japan if it weren't for the club lounge. For breakfast, lunch and tea time they always had at least one item vegetarian. The breakfast choices were the best and I'm not a breakfast eater. They had an omelette station every morning, fresh breads, a Japanese station, salad and delicious whole and cut up fruit. The one (and major) disappointment during my stay was a very embarrassing one. One morning upon arriving for breakfast, I wore the ritz-carlton slippers to the lounge. Don't know what I was thinking by 1) wearing them there 2) not researching local custom as I always do before international trips. I was asked to leave (I guess I was considered to be contaminating the room with the slippers somehow, even though everyone wore shoes inside but it's not for me to argue) by the male concierge at the door. Then he quickly stated that I could stay but next time I couldn't wear the hotel slippers there. I decided to go back to my room to change my shoes. Anyhow, I'm not complaining about the custom, I just felt extremely uncomfortable in the club lounge for the remainder of my stay. I almost wish there was a sign at the front of the door which explained what the rules of the lounge were (for people like me that don't quite understand how flip flops are appropriate to wear inside but not slippers that cover your entire foot).

Restaurants: never went since there weren't vegetarian options that I could see

Valet: very polite and responsive to your needs
Concierge: very polite and responsive as well
Pool: we went almost every day to the pool and jacuzzi. Would have loved it if it were outdoors, however for an indoor pool it was great. The pool was heated to the right temperature, spa ware was served, and there were very few, if any, hotel patrons or members there. The hot tub was warm. Not too hot, but could have been a little hotter.

All in all,except for the embarrassment at the club lounge, it was a great stay. I do wish though that the note, were located in a different area like shinjuku or ometasando, however in terms of closeness to work it was a good choice for my husband.

Room Tip: Spend extra for the club lounge level to get access to the club lounge. Especially if you are vegeta...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo? Share your experiences!