“First Class Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9-7-1 Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 107-6245, Japan   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #7 of 92 hotels in Minato
North Attleboro, Massachusetts
“First Class Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed here for business in June for 3 nights and had a great stay. From the moment of arrival to the moment of departure, I was treated like royalty. Staff was extremely helpful but not intrusive. I asked for directions from the concierge on a few occasions to walk to some things nearby to the hotel and they literally walked me in the right starting direction towards my destination and on my return, asked if everything had gone ok. I did not eat in any of the restaurants as there are many food choices in the Midtown complex to choose from. I did use the pool and hot tub which were very nice and relaxing. This was the first time I stayed here (I've stayed at the Imperial Hotel on several occasions) but I'd have to say this is my new favorite in Tokyo.

Room Tip: All the rooms start above the 45th Floor so there really isn't a bad view. Try for a room which...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

640 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 3 times over that past 10 months -- most recently in June. This is probably one of the best hotels you can find in a global metropolitan cities.

Pros:
*The room is much more spacious than comparable hotels. I was very impressed when I checked in on my first stay at this RC.
*The gorgeous bathroom is unlikely to disappoint, and amenities are very nice.
*The Japanese Breakfast option for room service is very enjoyable both in terms of taste as well as presentation. I had this almost everyday.
*Complementary use of the pool, Jacuzzi, and gym is very helpful.
*Service is superb. While the quality of service in Tokyo is generally very good, I think the RC is likely at the top of the class. There was one instance during my last stay when they got my breakfast order wrong, but I will give them a pass, as it was an anomaly.
*Very convenient location in Roppongi, which is centrally located in Tokyo. Yes, as others have mentioned here, there are some parts of the neighborhood that are a bit seedy, but this area is still much more preferable than other areas that don't have many restaurants and shops or don't have any seedy joints but may be too far out of the way.

Cons:
*Smoking is allowed near the bar area of the lobby.

Room Tip: At more than 48 floors high, all rooms have spectacular views of different parts of Tokyo.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I must preface that my entire stay was covered by points through Marriott. I cannot comment on the price/value.

The hotel itself was beautiful. If you're worried about language, you'll have no issues here. Many expats work here and the staff is fully bilingual. The rooms are great and the service is top notch.

We didn't eat here, however I did a scotch tasting. Great value. $35, unlimited scotch for 1.5hrs and food. High recommend.

The gym is great, with a full sized pool.

The location is excellent, connected to a pretty high end mall (Midtown).

Area is not the cheapest however you're walking distance to both cheap and expensive places.

Highly recommend but again, can't comment on the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is my go to hotel for business trips in Tokyo. The service and accommodations are excellent. I enjoy it so much that I bring my family here as well. Only downside is my son is unable to use the gym. My son works out so he's always upset when they don't allow him to work out with Dad. The rooms at the Ritz are 2x size than Grand Hyatt. Both hotels are equally convenient but the rooms and amenities are better at the Ritz. The Grand Hyatt is in need of renovation as it is getting tired. A few trips I was unable to book rooms because they were out of nonsmoking rooms. It's Asia I guess but smoking rooms seems so out of date with modern times.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The hotel is well situated in Roppongi, across from a small park where you can see the cherry blossom as its best and within “Tokyo Midtown” shopping complex, which is fabulous. We enjoyed the supermarket at the bottom and the small Dean and Deluca for breakfast.

The lobby is on the 45th floor, so the views of the city are simply breathtaking. The rooms are stunning!!!, the bathroom to die for, the amenities quite nice, including a kettle which contains warm water 24 hours and a beautiful tea set on the table. It has a very modern lighting board by the bed and the curtains and drapes don't allow any light at all which is absolutely great.

The staff is extremely professional and diligent. The concierges helped us with all our restaurant bookings and had everything prepared including maps, directions and reminders of the reservations when we checked in.

You can use the gym freely which is well equipped and has spectacular views of the city. It's next to the spa and pool which -by the way- you cannot use unless you book a service with the spa or pay a fee.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Before going into a detailed review of the awesome Ritz-Carlton Tokyo, before sitting down and writing my review I purposely waited a month since my stay there to be certain that my glow from it hadn't faded and I am happy to say that it hasn't. So be set for a gushing review of this hotel.

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo for 8 nights using points and from the minute of our arrival to our sad departure, everything and everyone at the hotel was excellent. As many reviews indicated, the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo starts on the 45th floor in Tokyo Midtown, so we were prepared for that. As soon as our taxi pulled up to the 1st floor, we were quickly greeted by a bellman who whisked away our bags up to the Lobby where we were greeted and given a wonderful refreshing drink as we were checking in. We then were shown our room on the 48th floor and it wasn't just any room, it was a corner room that was about 700 square feet in size with even a walk-in closet. The real treat was when our escort hit the button and the automatic blinds opened up to the Tokyo night skyline it was breathtaking! We found the entire check-in process, from our taxi arrival to being shown our room, to be stress free after a 14 hour flight and hour long LimoBus ride from Narita Airport (which BTW, the Limobus is great - prefer it over taking the Narita Express Jr- didn't have to drag our luggage all over the airport).

Our check-in experience really set the tone of our entire time at the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo. Room was wonderful and the bathroom (as many other reviewers indicate) was awesome. The room was very, very clean and housekeeping throughout our time there was excellent. Had a daily housekeeping and nightly turndown service. Enjoyed our welcome gift and appreciated the daily bottles of water. Each and every staff member that we ran into were excellent and treated us with the utmost of respect. We really found our room to be great and the view outstanding. Each evening we enjoyed looking out the large full wall windows over the Tokyo Skyline and loved the fact that the automatic shades were blackout since Japan is truly land of the rising sun since it got light at 4:30 am or earlier. (The only minor flaw in the room was the carpet did have a couple of stains near the coffee/tea bar near the bathroom, which I know a couple of reviewers made mention of the room carpets. However, the carpet was very clean as we wore the white slippers the Ritz provides and they were all still white on the bottom after a week of wear.)

Location of the Ritz can't be beat. Loved that it was attached to Tokyo Midtown which has a very good variety of restaurants in every price range. One of the best places were liked at Tokyo Midtown was the Preece Grocery Store which is open 24 hours. We stopped by there almost every day to pick up snacks and drinks and a couple of times Bento boxes. Tokyo Midtown also has a lovely public park which was nice to picnic at. We also frequented the Starbucks that is located right across from the Ritz Carlton cafe. It was easy to get to almost anywhere in Tokyo and beyond from the Ritz as it's close to a couple of train stations, including the Roppongi station. As for the Roppongi district itself, it was the only area of Tokyo that I truly dislike as I found it dirty (which is odd considering how clean Japan is) but it's only a few blocks and your through it and we even avoided it a couple of times by walking underground station to station. However, while I think Roppongi is a dump, I didn't feel unsafe at any time.

We found the Ritz-Carolton's service to be excellent. While we found most customer service in Japan to be excellent, we thought the Ritz Carlton Tokyo's service stood out a notch above. Had some items laundered while we were there and was handled excellent. Also, we required assistance in completing Black Cat Luggage Forwarding forms as they were all in Japanese and received excellent assistance quickly and easily. (So happy that we stumbled on the Black Cat Luggage Forwarding service which we used 2 different times during our Japan trip with a cost of $ 14.00 per large bag - wonderful not dragging our bags through Tokyo or Kyoto Station!)

To sum it up, the Ritz Carlton Tokyo is my favorite hotel ever. My family and I have had the good fortune to travel to a lot and stayed at some great hotels but none tops this one. Now I honestly have to ask myself would it still be my favorite hotel if I had paid $ 500 plus per night (as opposed to using points) yes I would as paid that amount of close to it for average rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice option in Central Tokyo. The hotel is on the upper levels of an office building so views are good from the rooms plus restaurants and pool etc. service was efficient and friendly. We stayed for one night and the only meal we had was breakfast which was a buffet with good choices. We used the pool which is in a really nice space overlooking the city. There are relaxation rooms connected to this area with hot and cold baths and sauna etc.

The only thing to be mindful of is the location. It is directly connected to Tokyo Midtown which has lots of shopping and dining options and Roppongi Hills which is a similar development is also only 5 mins walk away. In between however and in the area surrounding these developments is the Roppongi nightclub district which can be a bit seedy. A lot of regular travelers to Tokyo stay in this area because of its central location and proximity to a number of other areas but something to keep in mind.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo? Share your experiences!