“Elegant hotel in a great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo

Save Saved
You added The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo to your Saves list
The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9-7-1 Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 107-6245, Japan   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
$50 Resort Credit & More
Ranked #7 of 93 hotels in Minato
Singapore, Singapore
“Elegant hotel in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed here for 1 night on a business trip to Tokyo in March 2013. The hotel is located in Tokyo Midtown, which is a fantastic location as it's close to bars restaurants and a subway station. Check-in and check-out were very quick, and staff were polite and efficient.

The rooms are spacious and elegant. Free wi-fi. Breakfast was not included in my rate, but I ordered breakfast and it was nice (though not anything special). It would have been better if there was a coffee machine in the room, but other than that everything about the hotel was very good.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

603 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Stay here two nights on a business trip. The hotel is in a great location in Midtown, a large mixed use development, so shopping and dinning is very convenient. Also two subway lines are easily accessible without going outside making getting around Tokyo very easy. The rooms are large and very well furnished with about every thing you could want. I had a room on the 49th floor with a beautiful view of Tokyo Tower and the bay. I liked the automatic drapes and blinds. The bathroom is luxurious with a double vanity shower, large soaking tub, toilet with heated seat and auto everything . After a long flight in, it was nice to use the fitness center and Spa. The fitness center is well equipped with cardio, but a little light (pardon the pun) on weight machines. The lap pool is very nice and not really used much. The spa area (they call it - the heat experience) includes steam room , sauna, hot and cold tubs, showers, etc. it is really very nice. I was luck in that I booked a rate that included the heat experience, other wise it is about $55 USD per day. Enjoyed a nice dinner in the Japanese restaurant, but it was very pricey, with a typical Benihana dinner running $150, for just the food. Total tab was $250 per person - you have been warned. Enjoyed a Japanese whiskey and cigar in the bar one evening, very nice with someone playing classical piano in the lobby connected to the bar. Service at the hotel was outstanding. Five stars all the way.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of Tokyo Tower and the bay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Bangkok
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

One of the biggest rooms I've ever stayed in Tokyo. Everything that you can expect from a 5 star hotel: spacious room, awesome bathroom, first class service, and the convenience of being in Roppongi's Tokyo Midtown that has a 24hr supermarket, restaurants, and shopping vendors. The subway is nearby. Located on the upper half of the tallest building in Tokyo, you get the view of Tokyo. From my room, I can see the Imperial Palace, the skyline of Marunouchi, and Akasaka office buildings. Despite one front desk staff that gave me some displeasure, I can say the rest of the staffs are amazing. They make sure everything is taken care of like placing my luggage to my valet car while I go shopping after checking out from the hotel. Since I got a late check out at 2PM but my flight is at midnight, I still got plenty of time to hang around Tokyo. Some items that I bought earlier which needs refrigeration were being stored by the staff. When I'm ready to leave the hotel for the airport, they make sure I receive those items back. One nice touch I like about the hotel is that they have iced water with lemon slices ready for guest to drink right before the lifts to the guest rooms at the lobby level. Very nice refreshment after coming back from a long shopping and eating spree.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

At the conclusion of an Asian vacation, arriving at the Ritz Carlton was wonderful. Our view was magnificent with a spectacular view of Mt. Fuji. While it is located a little away from the main area it is quickly accessible by subway with numerous restraints and bars.

• Stayed April 2013
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

We arrived via the subway (having come in from Kyoto) and walked from the Roppongi station. We found the Ritz Carlton cafe easy enough. The entrance to the hotel is through a bit of a maze, though well signed. On this main level there was no one to great us or take our bags (this happens on the lower level with car arrivals) and no one to direct us to the check in area when we got to the lobby level. Check in was professional, if uneventful. Still no one asked to help us with our bags. We pack light, we can handle our bags, but it seemed such a simple miss for the Ritz Carlton to make...

The room was large, much larger than our room at the Park Hyatt or in Kyoto. The bathroom was so large it almost seemed silly, but I won't complain about that.

The Ritz does little touches well. We were looking at the menu of the steakhouse, and they offered to give us a tour of the restaurants (which are truly lovely with amazing views of Tokyo Tower). We had drinks in the bar each night and the staff remembered us and our preferences. I realize it's Japan, but I was surprised that smoking was allowed in parts of the bar.... that is a bit disappointing, but they managed to seat us far away from the smokers. If you can, make your way to the back of the bar (to the left upon entering) there a few tables tucked away with lovely views.

Overall this hotel felt more appropriate for high end business folks than us on holiday, but outside of the arrival everything was of a very high standard. The location in Rappongi strikes me as better for business folks as well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Now that we’ve experienced the Ritz Carlton Tokyo, we have a new favourite in Asia. Our top luxury hotel locations in Asia have been the Mandarin oriental in KL for value, and the Four Seasons in HK for style. Now we happily add the Ritz Carlton Tokyo for service.

Hands-down the best overall service we have seen anywhere. No request went unfulfilled by staff from any department and always quickly, with a smile and helpful hints. From the club lounge, to the front desk, to the concierge and the staff in food & beverage, all were world-class and worthy of massive praise. The staff at ‘Roku’ the Japanese cultural gift shop at main reception also gets a heartfelt thank you for their wonderful help; and special thanks to the entire team at the Towers Grill.

The room was spacious by Tokyo standards and was impeccably clean, plus had a terrific view. The bathroom was very large. The hotel is not new however, so there is nothing flashy or particularly high-tech about the rooms or general decor. There is a respectable sized pool for such a high-rise and the spa treatment I had was wonderful. There is an odd mix of what you can and cannot access though since some things are reserved for Carlton Club rather than club floor guests or Marriott Gold members. I’ve seen people complain about this and, had I been excluded from something after paying for a club level room, I would have been upset as well (although we were not as these were never full).

What could possible improve? Perhaps a stretch, but check-in can be a bit strange and I see in the Tripadvisor.com comments that some were put off by it. It is odd that you walk in the ground floor into essentially a largely empty hallway. No reception area and no immediately visible signage. The one staff on duty when we arrived was on the phone so we wandered around until we found that we had to take the lift to main reception, and then have someone escort us to the Club lounge for club level check-in. More/better signage or staff to escort to the lift would solve all of this. Other than that, PERFECT, almost better than perfect. We will certainly return.

Now the 64-thousand yen question….is it worth the price? It’s strange that in an agglomeration of 35 million people, Marriott members have only one ultra-high-end ‘Ritz’ and one ‘Courtyard’ to choose from. No ‘Marriott’ or ‘JW’. Plus, where when you compare what is available, the Courtyard Ginza is a VERY good hotel in its own right. Very swanky for a ‘Courtyard’. Well placed and you can book the largest club room there (massive, with massage loungers and a sitting area) for one-third of what you will pay for a regular club room at the Ritz Carlton. All in all though, the Ritz Carlton service is something that must be experienced to be believed; and yes worth the price. MANY THANKS!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at the Ritz-carlton Tokyo. It has a great location, elegant settings, but I did not get the experience I was expecting in a 5 star hotel in Japan. First, the staff was not as welcoming and pleasant as in previous hotels I had stayed in Tokyo ( Mandarin). Second, the room, although spacious,elegantly appointed with comfortable beds and great bathroom, had a stained carpet. I complained to the reception desk and was moved to another room with equally stained carpeting.: I cannot understand how a 5 star hotel in Tokyo, a Ritz- Carlton, can have such low standards. Ruined my stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Ritz-Carlton Tokyo? Share your experiences!