“Small, basic but well located.” 3 of 5 stars

APA Hotel Shimbashi-Toranomon
Save Saved
You added APA Hotel Shimbashi-Toranomon to your Saves list
APA Hotel Shimbashi-Toranomon
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2-6-8 Nishi-Shimbashi, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 105-0003, Japan   |
Ranked #76 of 94 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Small, basic but well located.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Our usual corporate digs were booked out, so I holed up in the APA Hotel Shimbashi on my last visit to to Tokyo. It's a basic business hotel with no frills.

WHAT YOU'LL LIKE:
- Well connected, location-wise. It's a 5-minute walk from multiple train stations (Mita, Shimbashi)
- Walking distance to multiple Izakayas, cafes and convenience stores.
- Modern amenities
- Everything's quite new - it doesn't have that slightly antiquated feel that other aging hotels tend to have.
- Great (free) wifi
- Quiet rooms, well appointed bathrooms.
- Extremely efficient housekeeping.
- Courteous and helpful staff will provide directions to wherever you want to go, but not all of them speak English.

WHAT YOU WON'T LIKE:
- Tiny, TINY Rooms, even by Tokyo standards.
- No cupboard space to hang anything.
- Nothing in the minibar.
- I'm 5'10.5" and my feet stuck out from the foot of the bed when I was sleeping. If you're taller, I'd seriously recommend another hotel unless you sleep fetal.

VERDICT:
If you're going to be out of the hotel (like I was) all day and you're only coming back at night to sleep then it fits the bill. It's a basic business hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room that doesn't overlook the main road because you'll get traffic noise.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I stayed here for 3 nights on my recent business trip to Tokyo due to issues getting a room in the usual corporate hotels. It is a basic business hotel in the heart of Shinbashi. Just 5 minute walk from the Karasumori exit from Shinbashi JR Station, it has an easy access to Haneda Airport ( door to door 30 minutes if you catch the express train from Shinbashi)
The room is small, expected from a business chain hotel in Japan but very clean. Check-in and Check out are very efficient using a self-service machine at the lobby.
There are tonnes of affordable and good places to eat around the hotel and Shinbashi station.

Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

I was booked at this hotel because our Corporate hotels are fully booked and this hotel is a further distance from the office. Due to a personal extension at the end of my work trip I decided to continue staying in the hotel and paid for the hotel separately in an online portal. When I first checked in I told them I do not want to change room so put me in the same room throughout my whole stay. The check in staff doesn't understand English properly and when they finally got it through they said they need to check for my other booking. I already arrived very late at the hotel and rushing for a dinner appointment with my colleague so I told them to give me the key so I can go get changed first and we can discuss the other booking after I returned but even though they say yes yes yes they don't get it and continue to keep me waiting. After much waiting, they finally found my other booking and told me to pay but I told them I already paid for it so on and on I have to continue waiting while they verify. They are also a mess as there are 3 of us at the counter and when they charge my credit card they just place it on the table and there were other credit cards around and in the end they pass another girl's credit card to me and my credit card slip to the girl, so much so that the other girl and I looked at each other and say let's check the receipt and credit card statement carefully. Through it all, I don't think the staff get what we were saying even though we were speaking in English. When it was finally correct, they asked me for my passport which they need to make a copy but they already made it and the copy was lying on the counter! And I have to show them and demand they return me my passport. Prior to confirming that I have already paid for my extension the staff was telling me room rate on Saturday was more expensive as it was a holiday but later on when I checked with my colleagues and friend in Japan, they were telling me Saturday was not a holiday.The check-in leaves such a bad taste in my mouth. Room was however clean and small and one day I open the window and can't close it and had to get one of the staff to come to my room to close it for me. Room is so small that I cannot put the luggage on the rack or I cannot enter the room or open the bathroom door so my luggage is put on my table which takes up space for me to work. Room is not really sound proof as you can hear conversation and tv programs on when you are in the hallway, there was also this banging on the wall behind my bed but when I checked, the room is marked private so I don't know if some hotel staff was staying there or it was for the housekeeping. Anyway thankful it only happened one morning. Breakfast was the highlight for me, I really loved the Japanese style breakfast and had it for 5 consecutive days, the other 2 days which is my extension, breakfast was not included so I eat out as it was easy to find food everywhere and the breakfast at the hotel was too expensive. Hotel is located in an alley not by the main road so not much of a traffic noise and the alley is quiet but quite well lit. Hotel is however very far from the subway, probably closest is Onarimon station but still could be a 5-7 mins walk if you know the way. Wifi connection is ok and works and tv programs are all in Japanese. Bed is too soft for my liking and it does affect my sleep quality. On the day of checkout I wanted to delay my checkout for 2 hours but was told if I do so I would be charged a certain amount per hour so I give up and check out early in the morning and leave my luggage downstairs so I can go venture out without having to worry about the checkout time. It also seems it was peak period in Japan because most hotels were fully booked and room rates were horrifying and to think on usual days we pay less than what I paid for this hotel and we get to stay at 5 stars hotel. Such hotels also doesn't have any gym but then I guess all the walking to and from subway and to and fro my office is good enough exercise. This will probably be good for those who are on a tight budget but not travelling on a peak period. Most of all, best not to have any heavy or big luggage with you if you are taking the subway to and from the airport to the hotel.

Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014

First time in Tokyo, brand new hotel, small rooms but very nicely appointed with all the necessary amenities as was the bathroom. The front desk was efficient and helpful. Very comfortable bed, nice Italian restaurant on lobby level with really good and authentic food and reasonable prices. Great location.

Room Tip: location location location.
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, near the train, but I do not recommend this hotel. My husband and I stayed here for two nights during our 12 day trip to Japan. We knew that space may be limited in Japanese hotels, so we brought small luggage. Even though we considered the space, our luggage barely fit in the room and there was no closet in our room. We had reserved a non-smoking room and when we arrived, there were not any left. Our room wreaked of smoke and the window did not open for any ventilation. If traveling solo and for business, this may be a good short term option.

Room Tip: Be sure to verify non smoking with the hotel prior to check in.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I m travelling quite often in Tokyo fir business and even though the personal is nice like every jp people, hotel should be avoid.

Positive points : good location for business area, good wifi.

Negative points: nothing in the fridge (after a 12 hours flight, tests painful.) , horrible pillows, no international tv channels, no closet..., very tiny room, no space for luggage, very tiny bathroom and we have to turn the water on all the time under the shower otherwise pressure goes away, no isolation , can hear neighbours...

Horrible Italian cafeteria with frozen food.

I won't come back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Beijing
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I have stayed in many value Tokyo hotels and this is larger than most. A great location near Shimbashi Station and good connections to rest of Tokyo and very easy to get Haneda Airport.

Area has a great range of places to eat, cafes and C-stores.

Can walk to Ginza in maybe 20 minutes.

Wifi was free and very good.

Definitely a winner.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to APA Hotel Shimbashi-Toranomon? Share your experiences!