“Awesome hotel - great staff and great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of the b akasaka

Save Saved
You added the b akasaka to your Saves list
the b akasaka
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7-6-13 Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 107-0052, Japan   |
Ranked #23 of 93 hotels in Minato
Wokingham, United Kingdom
“Awesome hotel - great staff and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed at The B Akasaka for 7 nights - in short.... awesome!

Hotel is in great location - short 5min walk from Akasaka metro station therefore you have great access to the whole city.

Staff welcoming, friendly and happy to help with local information. Wifi available in reception as well as PC to surf the web were really useful. Breakfast had good variety.

For value, location and staff you cannot fault this hotel.

Would re-book and recommend in an instant.

Thanks to all the team for a great stay in a great city.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
IshinHotels, Manager at the b akasaka, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Craig S

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and taking the time to share your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted that you were so happy with your visit to the hotel and will certainly pass on all your wonderful comments to the team.

If you come back to Tokyo, we would be more than happy to look after you again.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

233 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

What can I not say about this hotel? I had travelled to Japan since my stay here a year ago and always think of this place here. When I first travelled to Japan, I stayed here. The location is great. It is easy to get around via train and you have so many great restaurants and nice things just a few steps away from your door.

Down the tall steps from the B (it's located on a hill) is the Tokyo Broadcasting Station (TBS). You can often wander down the steps and see them filming shows outside in mini sets. They do not allow photography, but it is nice to mosey on down and see something out of the ordinary going on. Across from the B Akasaka is Akasaka Sakas. Great shops, botiques, and plenty of restaurants. Make sure you check out Dozo for dinner. They are a little pricey, but the quality is really good. Also swing by the bakery on the lower level. In the winter, when it is too cold to film outside, they have an iceskating rink set up below the steps. So if you come in the winter, prepare to skate!

When I came here, I was also traveling alone. I was a young woman who didn't speak any Japanese, roaming around here for pleasure. The best part? I felt safe here.

The staff at the B Akasaka is so friendly and they are all about service, service, service. It was raining one of the days I was there and one of the workers grabbed the umbrella for me. Didn't have to, but was just being polite. The staff always smiles when you walk in, greet you, and truly care about your overall happiness.

The next time I come back, I will be staying here. While most people stay in the Shinjuku area (where the main train station is), it's only a few train stops away if you need to get around. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

I'm not Japanese and I have only been to Japan twice, but I have a sense of "I feel at home" while I am at The B.

Room Tip: Rooms are tiny - so make most of your space (that's most hotels in Japan though). I would encou...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Dear KG017

We are delighted to be able to welcome you back to the hotel again for your second visit.

And it is wonderful for us to hear that you feel like this is your home-away-from-home. This is part of aim for the b hotels - good value, great locations, and a very comfortable retreat at the end of a busy day.

We focus on making sure our guests feel welcome when they are at the hotels, and the Team Members work hard to ensure all guests are well looked after.

This, as well as the wonderful locations close to the subway making it easy to access all of Tokyo, make the b hotels the number one choice for accommodation in Tokyo.

We will certainly pass your great comments on to the Team Members and we look forward to welcoming you back to the b akasaka on your next visit to Tokyo.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just came back from my 1st ever trip to Tokyo. I was debating between the Tokyo Green Palace and The B Akasaka, but ended up with The B through a great deal Orbitz offered which included breakfast.

Access to the hotel could be a bit tricky for foreigners from the Akasaka station. If you took the Narita Express train to Tokyo station, make sure you take the Marunouchi line and transfer to Chiyoda line at Gojigidomae station instead of Kasumigaseki because there is no escalator/elevator at the latter station.

Once arriving the Akasaka station, take exit 3b which has an escalator to get out of the station. There is an elevator hiding near the TBS Blitz that can take you and your luggage up without the climbing the hill. If you have trouble finding it, feel free to ask around (I'd recommend to ask someone working at the TV station).

Hotel staff are very courteous and willing to help. They even brought out the SIM card that I ordered online before I asked for it while checking in.

Room is small in western standard, but meticulously clean. The way the room was laid out was not so good for large luggage. I had the standard single room and the space was just right. Bathroom is roomy in Japanese standard and the shower is great. However, the water heater might be a little weak as the water wouldn't get hot when I tried taking shower for couple times. Fortunately, the indoor temperature was warm enough to be able to bear the cold water. I visited in late November and the hotel had switched to provide heat only which made the room rather toasty (perhaps a bit too toasty at times).

The area is rather quiet and there are many restaurants nearby. There is also a 7/11 inside the Akasaka Biz for quick snacks or light meals.

Breakfast was not as boring as some other reviewers have noted. I enjoyed both the Japanese and Western selections. Everything was fresh and well prepared. I also enjoyed the coffee machine at the lobby.

Checking out was a breeze as well. Overall, I enjoyed my stay at The B and would love to come back again!

第一次到東京,決定試試這家口碑不錯的商務酒店。很多人都說到它有點難找還而且還要爬坡,但其實如果是從成田到東京火車站,搭丸內線在國會議事堂前站(記住,不是霞ケ関站)轉千代線然後在赤坂站下就ok。 如果要到酒店,請用3b出口。因為酒店離TBS電視台很近,可以利用3b出口附近電視台的電梯這樣可以免掉帶著行李爬坡的麻煩 。如果找不到,可以問周邊的人(我自己是問了親切的電視台警衛大哥)。 出了電梯直走就可以看到酒店了。

工作人員態度都很好而且很有效率。房間打掃得很乾淨。單人房坪數其實很小,但五臟俱全。我喜歡他的洗澡間。淋浴很舒服可是熱水器有點弱因為曾經有一兩次洗到一半水變冷。因為去的時候是冬天,酒店全面供應暖氣不能調氣溫所以有時熱到會把窗戶打開透透氣。因為房間採用開放式設計, 所以就算是雙人房都可能不太適合與朋友共用.

早餐是吃到飽模式,選擇其實算多的(跟同等級歐洲酒店比的話)而且很新鮮。大廳的咖啡機免費無限供應咖啡而且比早餐提供的好喝.

酒店附近還算熱鬧,但晚上很安靜, 除了有時候會聽到走廊有其他旅客大聲講話或關門...

基本上,我是挺滿意這家酒店的. 如果下次來東京有機會的話我還是會考慮回來住的.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
IshinHotels, Manager at the b akasaka, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear llc2009

We appreciate the time you have taken to post your very informative review on Trip Advisor, and for choosing to stay at the b akasaka.

As you understand it is quite easy to access the hotel, as long as you know the directions, exits to use, lift access etc. You comments are quite beneficial and will certainly assist guests staying at the hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed the sumptuous breakfast, and also enjoyed the benefits of the hotel, including the convenience of the 7-Eleven store nearby. This is a great area to be able to access all of Tokyo, so it is always popular with travelers.

We will pass your comments to the Team Members and they will pleased that you were happy with your stay.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel belongs to the category "Japanese Business Hotels", hotels designed to provide economical (for Japanese standards) and no frills accommodation to domestic business travelers. Japanese travelers are familiar with the type of place and know what to expect. For foreigners, it may be a little trickier.

Hotels in this category are generally modern and of good (midrange) quality, tailored to cater to individuals not spending any leisure time in the hotel and willing to pay just for the essential space, service and amenities to rest and sleep.

About "The b Akasaka", key item of interest to international travelers will certainly be the size of the rooms. The hotel provides accurate and truthful representation on their website and at time of booking you will know a Single Room comes in a size of 10 sqm (107 sqf) with a bed large 110 cm (3.6 ft), a Double Room comes with 13 sqm (140 sqf) and a bed of 140 cm (4.6 ft), a Twin Room comes with two 97 cm (3.2 ft) beds in 17 sqm (183 sqf). Whether you travel alone or with a companion, these may easily be some of the smallest rooms (and beds) you have ever stayed traveling.

I spent at this hotel three days in a Double Room in a business trip. The first impression as I walked through into the room was of disappointment, barely the space to drop the luggage and walk around the bed, which actually turned to be basically no space after opening my luggage and hanging my clothes on the wall (no wardrobe); but I got quickly adapted and in the end enjoyed the experience as a kind of fun. Had I traveled as a couple, my Double Room would have been too small even for my easygoing standards.

If you can cope with the space, all the rest works fine for the hotel grade. The hotel is housed in an elegant building on a quiet hill in an upscale part of town. Service is efficient, infrastructures and amenities are modern, rooms are (i.e. my room was) clean. Wireless available in the lobby only, internet cable in the rooms. TV with Japanese channels only but I believe you may buy pay TV card for an extra charge. Breakfast is very basic but you won't leave hungry. Location also works pretty well, with large choice of restaurants and bars just a few-minute walk away. Subway station is also few minutes away.

All in all, this hotel is ok so long as you understand you are choosing a place suit basically for just resting and sleeping and are willing to live with the discomfort of staying in a very small space.

Room Tip: Twin Room has the largest size but smallest (two) beds. Double Room has size smaller than Twin Room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IshinHotels, Manager at the b akasaka, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear gdilieto

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor.

Your comments are quite accurate in relation to the hotel. While the focus is on value with the b hotels group, you will see there are less equipped than you would expect in a five-star hotel.

This is typical of many hotels across Japan, and particularly in Tokyo where space is at a premium and the rooms sizes are smaller that the higher category properties. This is why we make the point to list the room sizes and the bed sizes very clearly so guests know what to expect when they visit us.

This model is very popular, not just with domestic guests, but also with foreign travellers who are quite happy to experience Tokyo from a great location, and not pay for a lot of extras they may not require during their stay.

As you mentioned though, the rooms are clean and well-equipped, and all offer fantastic central locations from which to easily explore Tokyo. We do have CNN in English in all guest rooms at the hotel for your reference for future visits.

We appreciate that you have taken the time to provide an explanation for future guests' information, and we also hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kandy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

A small but very good hotel. This was the first stop on our visit to Japan. The room was small, shower great and lovely to have fridge and kettle. A big plus was the wonderful coffee machine in the foyer. We arrived about midday, jetlagged, but could not access our room until 3pm, which was a negative for us. The area is very quiet, ..a short walk from the metro, restaurants bars temples etc. Breakfast was good. It was a great introduction to Japanese hotels for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
IshinHotels, Manager at the b akasaka, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear Eithne E

Thank you for your kind comments and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the b akasaka.

We apologise that you were not able to check in before 3pm. The hotel runs a very high occupancy and we do try to accommodate early arrivals as much as possible, but on some occasions we are unable to have the rooms ready in time for early arrival.

As you have mentioned, we do try to add the little extras that help to make your stay more comfortable.

We really hope we have the opportunuty to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

TXL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We enjoyed three nights at this hotel. We arrived fairly late due to the flight schedule and the first thing happening while walking through the door was the staff greeting us by name. Apparently they have been waiting for us and we were the only guests "missing" that night. Check-in was flawless and we enjoyed a free coffee from the publicly accessible Seaco Espresso machine in the lobby.

The room is quite small but functional and sparkling clean. The bathroom is indeed only separated but a glass wall (partially blinded), so this is something to get used too. The shower is awesome, a rainforest shower type with many heads and sufficient water pressure. The beds are nice with two pillows on top and a sufficiently soft mattress. The in-room a/c was efficient as well, very important since the outside temperature was over 90F when we stayed there.

The breakfast is okay with many western and Japanese choices providing a good start into the day. There is a free Saeco coffee machine in the lobby making way better coffee than what is provided at breakfast.

I would also like to address issues from other reviewers here:

- The hotel is indeed located at a steep hill, however, a public lift eases that and circumvents any climbing. Fortunately, the lift is right by the metro station and about 150m away from the hotel (2 minutes). Just go straight out of the hotel into the little side road and you will see the lift on the right hand side before the side road curves to the left. Easy and very convenient.

- The room, at least for Japanese 3-star hotels, is not particularly small. Although I am far away from calling is big or spacious, you may encounter many smaller rooms while in Japan.

- We paid a fixed fare of about 100$ to the hotel (including the night surcharge and all tolls) and about $80 from the hotel to Haneda airport. Taking a cab from Narita is just a bad idea, I mean honestly who would take a cab for more than 50 miles in a high-price country like japan and get upset with the price afterwards? Furthermore, the taxi driver had no issues at all in locating the hotel.

- location: Minato is a very quiet, safe, and somewhat upcoming area in Tokyo. While it is not very close to all the sights and it is true that you need to change metro lines at least once, we liked the quiet environment with no interruption to sleep at all. There is a sufficient (if not overwhelming) number of restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear super-grobi

Thank you for taking the time to not only post your own review, but also address some of the comments made by other reviewers.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel - indeed it is very handy, and as there are so many sights in Tokyo it always invlolves jumpnig on and off trains to see them all.

We are also pleased that you were so warmly welcomed by the team at the hotel - we like to offer the personal touch, and I am sure the coffee on arrival also was a very welcome addition.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again, and we would expect that you will receive the same fine service.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

A perfect base to explore the city whether by foot or public transport. Akasaka itself was great and had temples, restaurants, bars, shops and metro stops.

The room was very well equipped with high quality appliances. The shower was the best ever and the fridge was great for cold drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear David C

Thank you for your comments.

We love that you enjpyed yoru stay at the hotel - so central, all the facilities you need and a fantastic shower.

We hope to welcome you back to this wonderful city again, and of course the b akasaka.

Area Manager

Been to the b akasaka? Share your experiences!