“Good hotel, very good shower” 4 of 5 stars
Review of the b akasaka

You added the b akasaka to your Saves list
the b akasaka
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7-6-13 Akasaka, Minato 107-0052, Tokyo Prefecture   |
Ranked #27 of 97 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
TXL
“Good hotel, very good shower”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We enjoyed three nights at this hotel. We arrived fairly late due to the flight schedule and the first thing happening while walking through the door was the staff greeting us by name. Apparently they have been waiting for us and we were the only guests "missing" that night. Check-in was flawless and we enjoyed a free coffee from the publicly accessible Seaco Espresso machine in the lobby.

The room is quite small but functional and sparkling clean. The bathroom is indeed only separated but a glass wall (partially blinded), so this is something to get used too. The shower is awesome, a rainforest shower type with many heads and sufficient water pressure. The beds are nice with two pillows on top and a sufficiently soft mattress. The in-room a/c was efficient as well, very important since the outside temperature was over 90F when we stayed there.

The breakfast is okay with many western and Japanese choices providing a good start into the day. There is a free Saeco coffee machine in the lobby making way better coffee than what is provided at breakfast.

I would also like to address issues from other reviewers here:

- The hotel is indeed located at a steep hill, however, a public lift eases that and circumvents any climbing. Fortunately, the lift is right by the metro station and about 150m away from the hotel (2 minutes). Just go straight out of the hotel into the little side road and you will see the lift on the right hand side before the side road curves to the left. Easy and very convenient.

- The room, at least for Japanese 3-star hotels, is not particularly small. Although I am far away from calling is big or spacious, you may encounter many smaller rooms while in Japan.

- We paid a fixed fare of about 100$ to the hotel (including the night surcharge and all tolls) and about $80 from the hotel to Haneda airport. Taking a cab from Narita is just a bad idea, I mean honestly who would take a cab for more than 50 miles in a high-price country like japan and get upset with the price afterwards? Furthermore, the taxi driver had no issues at all in locating the hotel.

- location: Minato is a very quiet, safe, and somewhat upcoming area in Tokyo. While it is not very close to all the sights and it is true that you need to change metro lines at least once, we liked the quiet environment with no interruption to sleep at all. There is a sufficient (if not overwhelming) number of restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
IshinHotels, Manager at the b akasaka, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear super-grobi

Thank you for taking the time to not only post your own review, but also address some of the comments made by other reviewers.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel - indeed it is very handy, and as there are so many sights in Tokyo it always invlolves jumpnig on and off trains to see them all.

We are also pleased that you were so warmly welcomed by the team at the hotel - we like to offer the personal touch, and I am sure the coffee on arrival also was a very welcome addition.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again, and we would expect that you will receive the same fine service.

Area Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

A perfect base to explore the city whether by foot or public transport. Akasaka itself was great and had temples, restaurants, bars, shops and metro stops.

The room was very well equipped with high quality appliances. The shower was the best ever and the fridge was great for cold drinks.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear David C

Thank you for your comments.

We love that you enjpyed yoru stay at the hotel - so central, all the facilities you need and a fantastic shower.

We hope to welcome you back to this wonderful city again, and of course the b akasaka.

Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great location, within walking distance from the nice restaurants and shops of Akasaka and Roppongi (look for the shortcut that brings you to Roppongi Mid Town commercial centre in 10 minutes).
Rooms are clean and well equipped, but really really small. There are no closets, and you will always bump into your suitcases on the floor.
Beware: if you are taller than 5.6 ft/170 cm, you will find it difficult to sleep and to move around!

However, given the level of hotel rates in Tokyo, this is a good base for exploring the city without spending a fortune.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mc582

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share them on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

As you mentioned, the rooms are small, but being in such a wonderful city guests spend most of their time out-and-about, and the money saved on the hotel room also comes in handy for the extra shopping and sightseeing.

As mentioned, the location is very good, and you can easily access all that Tokyo is famous for.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Good hotel, clean and with a nice and efficient staff. In my opinion the location is pretty convenient, central to the main Tokyo neighbourhoods, and close to many restaurants and convenience shops, and to a subway station (Akasaka). The only problem with location is that to get there from the station you have to climb a steep (and a mean steep!) uphill street. A possible alternative is to use the Akasaka-mitsuke station which is maybe just 10 minutes farther away but serves more lines and the way is much easier.

Rooms are small, clean and well organised in the usual Japanese way (no closet or drawers), so no surprise here. I didn't like that the bathroom walls are in fact glass panels, translucent up to about 50 cm from the ceiling and transparent above this. I suppose the idea is to save space, but it's pretty inconvenient: complete lack of isolation for noise (you know, these very private and personal noises...) and light (you illuminate all the room if you use it at night, which will disturb your roommate sleep).

There's free Internet available at the lobby with both a portable PC and wifi. Free good coffee and tea are also available there.

Breakfast buffet is OK with a short selection of Japanese and western style food.

I can't comment on price/performance because we stayed as part of a package trip.

All in all, a pretty good alternative for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b akasaka, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi elviatger,

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We are sorry that we were not able to share the route without the hill - there is a way you can take an elevator to avoid the hill. Please let us know before your visit next time. We would love to give you the direction!

Thank you again for your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a great place to stay when vacationing in Tokyo. As we were out sight seeing the whole day, the small room did not bother us at all. And since it's located within a business area, you wont need to worry about noises and will be able to get a good nights sleep.
Access to the hotel, always walk from Akasaka Station Exit C06. Any other exits will be a hike up a long flight of stairs or a really steep slope. From Exit C06, walk towards the TBS Broadcast Centre's parking lot, hidden just before a flight of stairs is a public elevator open 24hrs that you can use. After a long day of sight-seeing, walking up another flight of stairs is just torture.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Ann W,

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for writing a review of the hotel.

We are beyond happy that you have rated us five and call us "great place to stay." We are happy to be able to be your base in Tokyo!

Also thank you for sharing your direction - we are sure that will help our future guests.
We look forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,
Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've stayed in hotels in most countries in Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Italy) and I had NEVER seen a room as small as the one I got here. I couldn't take 2 steps without bumping into something. I had to put my bag on the bed to open it: the stool provided by the hotel was under the desk, and frankly had I pulled it out from there, I wouldn't have had any room to move. BUt first, getting to the hotel is a heck of a chore. The airport limousines buses that run from the airport do not stop at that hotel, although: they stop at the ANA Intercontinetal. at the Excel Tokyu, and others. So, I took a taxi from the airport, and the cab driver stopped 3 times to ask for directions (with the meter running). By the time he found the hotel, the meter had run to 22,000 yen (so, I was in for almost $300 at the $1/7500 yen FX rate) while the Japanese friend who had recommended me the hotel had told me the cab ride would cost me about $150 (i.e. half of the actual fare). Then when we got to the hotel, they have stairs in front, and not a ramp in sight (so clearly they don't expect their guests to have any bags). No porter, or bell boy. You haul your bags yourself and see how well you manage to get them into the lobby which itself will be crowded if ever there are more than a dozen people there at a tme. The lobby area can reasonably accommodate 8 to 12 people: the 2 chairs and the sofa can take 5. Another 2 can stand by the coffee machine, and 4 to 5 will be shoulder-to-shoulder in front of the counter. (I am not exaggerating).
But will all these negatives, the staff is at least courteous and tries to accommodate (in the areas where they can: there's absolutely nothing they can do about the rooms size).
The TV channels are all Japanese. So good luch trying (at the end of a busy day) to watch anything that your brain can comprehend. Luckily, I had saved some episodes of Law & Order on my laptop.

Restaurant: Contrarily to what some people have said here, the hotel does NOT have a restaurant. However, there is an Italian restaurant adjacent to the hotel, which has cleverly managed a connecting door allowing you to go from the hotel lobby into the restaurant. But you CANNOT charge your restaurant consumption onto your bill, and you cannot order room service. If the restaurant was so much as "affiliated" to the hotel, as a guest in the hotel, you would be able to charge your dinner and pay one final bill. So, be prepared to settle your bill with cash or credi card.

Location: In terms of location, I think one can do better 10 times. The hotel is remote from all the activities, and it is on a steep slope, whichever way you take. The first couple of days, I did enjoy stretching my calves. But then, that got old quickly. So, I berated myself the rest of my stay for not chosing something in the mainstream area, or closer to subways.

Price/Quality ratio: I don't know how much the other hotels would have charged (a Japanese friend had made the booking for me) but I stayed in the B Akasaka from Aug 7 to 14. I so wished I had booked somewhere that would allow me to get quickly back in my hotel at the end of the day. This was not the case in this hotel. But the people at the front desk really try to make up for the hotel's shortcomings. But there's no concierge. Whoever are the 2 people manning the front desk at the time, they're the go-to folks for everything else, including answering phones. So, good luck trying to get their attention in busy times. One good thing: the hotel has washing machines and dryer. So, for us, it was good to be able to wash our clothes before leaving to our next destination. Also, on days when you are too tired to venture out and face that slope on the way back, the hotel has a vending machine selling noodle soups. I wouldn't buy them every day, but one night, I was very tired, and the restaurant next door was closed (reserved for a function). So, I didn't have options. That vending machine and its noodles soup saved my life...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi WittyCutie,

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka for a week and for sharing your experience at the hotel.

Our single rooms are Tokyo-sized, but we do try our best to keep it efficient. If you would prefer a bigger room, we would recommend you to get a superior twin room next time as the room size is almost doubled.

For more convenient travel, we offer the taxi package on our official website. We would gladly reimburse the one-meter taxi fare for the guests booked through this package. It should be enough to get to the hotel from the nearest station, which is called Akasaka station.

Thank you again for your review.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here for one night during a layover in Tokyo.
For the price, it doesn't get too much better in Tokyo. Location wise is slightly inconvenient on foot (it is an uphill walk from the station, which is about a 5 minute walk) and the station isn't the most convenient subway line in Tokyo, but if you are cabbing its a great location.
the room is small but thats expected for a business hotel. They were very clean, free internet (which is key for any traveler in Japan), and free wifi in the lobby areas. The staff was very professional and nice.

One nice thing about the B here is the bathrooms are HUGE (why I don't know but makes up for the small room). Amazing shower also...one of the best showers I've experienced in a business hotel in Japan.

Although I didn't reserve with a breakfast option, they still offered me a free breakfast ticket. The breakfast buffet was verrrrry good, and they had terrace seating which was great for the crisp May spring/summer morning of Tokyo.

If you are in the Akasaka area and are looking for a not so cheap but great sleep stayover, I'd highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b akasaka, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hi NoriyasuL

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for the time to write a review of your experience. We understand it could be hard to get to our hotel with big luggage from the station so we offer a taxi stay package, which we would reimburse your one meter cab cost upon your arrival. It should be enough to get to us from Akasaka station. We are happy you enjoyed the breakfast and the bathroom.

Thanks again for staying at the b akasaka. We look forward to welcoming you again!

Kind regards,

Area Manager

Been to the b akasaka? Share your experiences!