“Good hotel, but rooms are the tiniest ever seen” 4 of 5 stars
Review of the b akasaka

Save Saved
You added the b akasaka to your Saves list
the b akasaka
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7-6-13 Akasaka, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 107-0052, Japan   |
Ranked #28 of 93 hotels in Minato
Milan, Italy
“Good hotel, but rooms are the tiniest ever seen”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Great location, within walking distance from the nice restaurants and shops of Akasaka and Roppongi (look for the shortcut that brings you to Roppongi Mid Town commercial centre in 10 minutes).
Rooms are clean and well equipped, but really really small. There are no closets, and you will always bump into your suitcases on the floor.
Beware: if you are taller than 5.6 ft/170 cm, you will find it difficult to sleep and to move around!

However, given the level of hotel rates in Tokyo, this is a good base for exploring the city without spending a fortune.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
IshinHotels, Manager at the b akasaka, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Dear mc582

Thank you for your comments and for taking the time to share them on Trip Advisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

As you mentioned, the rooms are small, but being in such a wonderful city guests spend most of their time out-and-about, and the money saved on the hotel room also comes in handy for the extra shopping and sightseeing.

As mentioned, the location is very good, and you can easily access all that Tokyo is famous for.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again.

Kind regards

239 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Barcelona, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

Good hotel, clean and with a nice and efficient staff. In my opinion the location is pretty convenient, central to the main Tokyo neighbourhoods, and close to many restaurants and convenience shops, and to a subway station (Akasaka). The only problem with location is that to get there from the station you have to climb a steep (and a mean steep!) uphill street. A possible alternative is to use the Akasaka-mitsuke station which is maybe just 10 minutes farther away but serves more lines and the way is much easier.

Rooms are small, clean and well organised in the usual Japanese way (no closet or drawers), so no surprise here. I didn't like that the bathroom walls are in fact glass panels, translucent up to about 50 cm from the ceiling and transparent above this. I suppose the idea is to save space, but it's pretty inconvenient: complete lack of isolation for noise (you know, these very private and personal noises...) and light (you illuminate all the room if you use it at night, which will disturb your roommate sleep).

There's free Internet available at the lobby with both a portable PC and wifi. Free good coffee and tea are also available there.

Breakfast buffet is OK with a short selection of Japanese and western style food.

I can't comment on price/performance because we stayed as part of a package trip.

All in all, a pretty good alternative for a short stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b akasaka, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi elviatger,

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka and for taking the time to write a review of your experience. We are sorry that we were not able to share the route without the hill - there is a way you can take an elevator to avoid the hill. Please let us know before your visit next time. We would love to give you the direction!

Thank you again for your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Best regards,
Taipei, Taipei, Taiwan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is a great place to stay when vacationing in Tokyo. As we were out sight seeing the whole day, the small room did not bother us at all. And since it's located within a business area, you wont need to worry about noises and will be able to get a good nights sleep.
Access to the hotel, always walk from Akasaka Station Exit C06. Any other exits will be a hike up a long flight of stairs or a really steep slope. From Exit C06, walk towards the TBS Broadcast Centre's parking lot, hidden just before a flight of stairs is a public elevator open 24hrs that you can use. After a long day of sight-seeing, walking up another flight of stairs is just torture.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Ann W,

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for writing a review of the hotel.

We are beyond happy that you have rated us five and call us "great place to stay." We are happy to be able to be your base in Tokyo!

Also thank you for sharing your direction - we are sure that will help our future guests.
We look forward to welcoming you again!

Rockville, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I've stayed in hotels in most countries in Europe (France, Spain, Germany, Italy) and I had NEVER seen a room as small as the one I got here. I couldn't take 2 steps without bumping into something. I had to put my bag on the bed to open it: the stool provided by the hotel was under the desk, and frankly had I pulled it out from there, I wouldn't have had any room to move. BUt first, getting to the hotel is a heck of a chore. The airport limousines buses that run from the airport do not stop at that hotel, although: they stop at the ANA Intercontinetal. at the Excel Tokyu, and others. So, I took a taxi from the airport, and the cab driver stopped 3 times to ask for directions (with the meter running). By the time he found the hotel, the meter had run to 22,000 yen (so, I was in for almost $300 at the $1/7500 yen FX rate) while the Japanese friend who had recommended me the hotel had told me the cab ride would cost me about $150 (i.e. half of the actual fare). Then when we got to the hotel, they have stairs in front, and not a ramp in sight (so clearly they don't expect their guests to have any bags). No porter, or bell boy. You haul your bags yourself and see how well you manage to get them into the lobby which itself will be crowded if ever there are more than a dozen people there at a tme. The lobby area can reasonably accommodate 8 to 12 people: the 2 chairs and the sofa can take 5. Another 2 can stand by the coffee machine, and 4 to 5 will be shoulder-to-shoulder in front of the counter. (I am not exaggerating).
But will all these negatives, the staff is at least courteous and tries to accommodate (in the areas where they can: there's absolutely nothing they can do about the rooms size).
The TV channels are all Japanese. So good luch trying (at the end of a busy day) to watch anything that your brain can comprehend. Luckily, I had saved some episodes of Law & Order on my laptop.

Restaurant: Contrarily to what some people have said here, the hotel does NOT have a restaurant. However, there is an Italian restaurant adjacent to the hotel, which has cleverly managed a connecting door allowing you to go from the hotel lobby into the restaurant. But you CANNOT charge your restaurant consumption onto your bill, and you cannot order room service. If the restaurant was so much as "affiliated" to the hotel, as a guest in the hotel, you would be able to charge your dinner and pay one final bill. So, be prepared to settle your bill with cash or credi card.

Location: In terms of location, I think one can do better 10 times. The hotel is remote from all the activities, and it is on a steep slope, whichever way you take. The first couple of days, I did enjoy stretching my calves. But then, that got old quickly. So, I berated myself the rest of my stay for not chosing something in the mainstream area, or closer to subways.

Price/Quality ratio: I don't know how much the other hotels would have charged (a Japanese friend had made the booking for me) but I stayed in the B Akasaka from Aug 7 to 14. I so wished I had booked somewhere that would allow me to get quickly back in my hotel at the end of the day. This was not the case in this hotel. But the people at the front desk really try to make up for the hotel's shortcomings. But there's no concierge. Whoever are the 2 people manning the front desk at the time, they're the go-to folks for everything else, including answering phones. So, good luck trying to get their attention in busy times. One good thing: the hotel has washing machines and dryer. So, for us, it was good to be able to wash our clothes before leaving to our next destination. Also, on days when you are too tired to venture out and face that slope on the way back, the hotel has a vending machine selling noodle soups. I wouldn't buy them every day, but one night, I was very tired, and the restaurant next door was closed (reserved for a function). So, I didn't have options. That vending machine and its noodles soup saved my life...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Hi WittyCutie,

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka for a week and for sharing your experience at the hotel.

Our single rooms are Tokyo-sized, but we do try our best to keep it efficient. If you would prefer a bigger room, we would recommend you to get a superior twin room next time as the room size is almost doubled.

For more convenient travel, we offer the taxi package on our official website. We would gladly reimburse the one-meter taxi fare for the guests booked through this package. It should be enough to get to the hotel from the nearest station, which is called Akasaka station.

Thank you again for your review.
We look forward to welcoming you again.

Regards,
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed here for one night during a layover in Tokyo.
For the price, it doesn't get too much better in Tokyo. Location wise is slightly inconvenient on foot (it is an uphill walk from the station, which is about a 5 minute walk) and the station isn't the most convenient subway line in Tokyo, but if you are cabbing its a great location.
the room is small but thats expected for a business hotel. They were very clean, free internet (which is key for any traveler in Japan), and free wifi in the lobby areas. The staff was very professional and nice.

One nice thing about the B here is the bathrooms are HUGE (why I don't know but makes up for the small room). Amazing shower also...one of the best showers I've experienced in a business hotel in Japan.

Although I didn't reserve with a breakfast option, they still offered me a free breakfast ticket. The breakfast buffet was verrrrry good, and they had terrace seating which was great for the crisp May spring/summer morning of Tokyo.

If you are in the Akasaka area and are looking for a not so cheap but great sleep stayover, I'd highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b akasaka, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Hi NoriyasuL

Thank you for choosing the b akasaka and for the time to write a review of your experience. We understand it could be hard to get to our hotel with big luggage from the station so we offer a taxi stay package, which we would reimburse your one meter cab cost upon your arrival. It should be enough to get to us from Akasaka station. We are happy you enjoyed the breakfast and the bathroom.

Thanks again for staying at the b akasaka. We look forward to welcoming you again!

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Stayed at B Akasaka for a week. When we arrived at subway, we met a local who took us to the hotel via the secret lift. This was a huge help as we were hot and bothered after our travels and carrying luggage up hills and stairs would not have been fun. As has been mentioned before, take exit 3b, follow road until the bend and lift is in to your right.
Reception area was small but comfortable. Loved the smell of it! Wifi is only available here, not in rooms, so you often find people gathered here. There's a coffee machine for free tea and coffee throughout the day - good for a pick-me-up after a long day sightseeing. Reception staff are very friendly and helpful.
Room was clean and comfortable. We had a twin room. Small but still not as tiny as i had imagined. We were travelling with 2 suitcases and 2 backpacks and were able to store them underneath desk. No wardrobes but there is a hanging rail. Shower was great. Soundproofing between rooms is good but you can hear noise in hallway, not an issue unless fellow guests are making noise in corridors at unsociable hours. Blackout blinds were great for getting a good nights sleep.
Breakfast came as part of the deal. There was a reasonable selection including traditional Japanese breakfast with miso soup, grilled fish, rice and pickles, as well as toast, croissants, scrambled eggs, hotdog sausages, potato wedges, fruit, yoghurt and cereal. Always something you could eat but don't think I would have eaten there daily if it wasn't included in room price.
There is also a spa attached. As we had a packed schedule, i didn't have time to try this but treatments looked good.
Before booking, we were concerned about which area to stay in. Most suggested Shinjuku or Shibuya. Similar hotels here seemed to be a lot more expensive. We worried about being in the middle of nowhere but found this location suited our needs. Spent most of our day sightseeing and then had dinner and drinks in evening. Metro runs until midnight if you are looking to venture to another area, although there are plenty of restaurant and bars around the hotel too.
Overall I was happy with the stay here and would recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b akasaka, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
El21,

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka for a week and for taking the time to write a review of the hotel.

We are happy to be labeled as your “great stay”! We are relieved that your friend took you to the lift - that is the route we recommend to our guests because we know it can be hard to take the stairs with luggage. For your information, we have a taxi stay package – if you book this package, we would gladly reimburse one meter taxi cost, which is enough to get here from the nearest Akasaka station for more comfortable and convenient travel.

Thank you for your kind comment about our team. I will make sure to pass it on to them. Please come back again and see us!

Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights in March and overall the hotel is up to standard. The location is around 10 minutes from Akasaka subway station but you need to walk either uphill or along a long stairway before reaching there, as it was still pretty cold at night in March and I returned to hotel usually after 11pm, the walk might be quite a struggle given the strong winds along the way but in general it's not a too difficult walk. I took taxi from Tokyo station upon arrival and also taxi to the nearest hotel to get on airport limousine to Narita airport though because it might be kind of difficult to get there just by walking uphill. Staff speaks good English and is ready to help to book limousine tickets from the nearby hotels. Rooms are in general typical Tokyo room size but is comfortable enough for us Asians. Might be a bit small for foreigners of larger body build but I note a lot of foreign tourists staying here. Breakfast is buffet style. One thing however though the hotel is a new one and kind of "business-type" style, only the lobby offers free wifi but not in the rooms.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
IshinHotelsGroup, マネージャー at the b akasaka, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Hi mmys704

Thank you for staying at the b akasaka and for posting a review of your stay.

Getting to our hotel is not the easiest thing to do with a lot of luggage, and that is why we have a stay plan called the Taxi plan. If you book it, we will gladly reimburse your taxi cost for one meter, which is enough from Akasaka station, the nearest rail station to our hotel.

There is a route where you can take an elevator to skip the hills and stairs. This elevator is near the TBS building right near the staircase as you exit Akasaka Station. Please also contact the hotel before your arrival for additional details.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us.
We look forward to welcoming you again!

Area manager

Been to the b akasaka? Share your experiences!