“Small room but good location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of APA Hotel Nishi Azabu

You added APA Hotel Nishi Azabu to your Saves list
APA Hotel Nishi Azabu
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4-4-5 Nishi Azabu, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 106-0031, Japan   |
Ranked #87 of 94 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Sydney, Australia
“Small room but good location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Hiroo/Roppongi area is a hot spot to be - lots of neat bars and restaurants. The rooms are tiny but thats to be expected in Tokyo. Plus, we didn't spend much time in them so it wasn't a problem. 10 minute walk to Hiroo Station, 15 minutes to Roppongi Station. Ritzy area. No A/C but you can open the windows and if its cool out thats enough.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The location is not bad, near convenience store, not far from train station and also not too far from shopping area. Staffs are friendly. I choose semi double bed. Room is clean but too tight for 2 persons. Wifi and LAN line are provide in room. There are some restaurants nearby.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at many,many hotels in Tokyo and this by far is the worst. I know rooms are small in Tokyo but this place is the size of a closet. Also very old and outdated. Worst part is they do not have irons? I have NEVER heard of a hotel that does not have guest irons (even had them in Russia). No dry cleaners near by so I had to actually find a place to buy an iron and board! I suggest you avoid this place at all costs.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This was our last hotel in Japan. We booked 2 rooms for 3 nights. I had to book two doubles 1 for my husband and I and 1 for my 2 sons.... hoping to change one to a twin but couldn't. When I booked on net that option for bedding arrangement wasn't available. Doubles I think not.... more like oversized king single. We could barely fit our suitcases through the door. No WI FI in rooms or lobby. Restaurant was closed? I thought location was good from station but that was all that was good. Room was tiny, dirty, light was broken and basin in bathroom were both fixed with tape. This hotel was not cheap by any standards. I was very disappointed and will never return.

Room Tip: If your desperate... we did see a corner twin room and that was much bigger.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I won't get too deep into what to expect from a Japanese hotel in general, as I think most people will already be somewhat familiar. Short version: Rooms are tiny, but usually include all the amenities you need and are generally very clean.

I booked this hotel on the night of my stay using the Hotels.com app. I live in Tokyo, but outside of the city center. Sometimes when you're out having fun it's nice to not have to to stress about catching the last train home. This was one of those nights, and I was very happy to only pay about ¥9000 ($95 USD). There are definitely cheaper options (if you want to stay in capsule hotel), and a better rate could be had if you book ahead, but for a convenient located, known chain hotel, I felt it was reasonable.

The room was clean, and not freshly renovated but still modern enough. I also found the bed to be larger than can be generally expected in a Single room. It felt more like a Semi-Double.

In addition, the location was good. It's close enough to walk to Roppongi, if you are looking for nightlife, but far enough to avoid the throng of tourists.

My only complaint was that the noise from the hallways comes in the rooms pretty clearly. This could be a bit annoying on a weekend, when there will be plenty of drunk people stumbling back to their rooms. I was probably one of the last to bed, so it was no problem, but if I had wanted a good nights sleep, it would have been another story.

Note: This is one of the closest hotels to Club Muse, which I discovered accidentally while walking to the hotel. Muse is a fun place, with a young, good looking crowd...fair warning though, that it's a bit of meat market. I showed up there around 2am and the place was still going strong...so many people that you could barely walk around. Good times.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Beirut, Lebanon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We booked three rooms for one night at this APA hotel on our return from Kyoto to Tokyo. This was our first time at an APA hotel and from this experience, our last.

That the location is a bit far and the hotel a bit outdated, is not a problem when you need an hotel for one night. However, the dirt, the awful, terribly awful smell in the corridors and the rooms, was unbearable. We had three rooms on three different floors and they were all terribly similar. It seems the hotel never lets in fresh air and every cigarette that gets smoked in the hotel stays in the hotel. The elevators were dirty, as in they hadn't been cleaned for a few days dirty. The rooms and bathrooms are shabby and equipped with used plastic slippers, unwrapped for your comfort! The bed is small with the thinnest mattress and the meagrest pillow possible. Overall, bad, very very bad experience.

We could not believe this hotel was in Tokyo, one of the cleanest cities in the world.

Would definitely discourage anyone from staying there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Odawara, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I chose this APA after staying at a few other APAs in Tokyo nearer to Tokyo station. On this occassion I needed something in this area so decided to give APA Nishi Azabu a try. The location proved to be convenient for what I needed this time.

The room was small, but fairly typical by Tokyo standards (apart from, say, the Conrad, which is delicious in every respect - see my separate review).

What disappointed me is that the hotel felt quite old compared to the two I have stayed in earlier this year (one near Kanda Station and the other at Ningyocho). It was priced the same as those, so didn't seem to be such good value for money.

I paid for an upgraded room with Tokyo Tower view. In fact, the main "windows" of the room looked out only to another building around 10 cm away and so gave a view of nothing at all. I assumed a mistake had been made at check-in and allocating the room, but I later found there was a relatively small window above the bed that did indeed have a distant view of the tower. It wasn't very practical to keep the curtains open though because of a nearby office building with windows facing the hotel.

This APA also has old-style manual keys with a large wooden dongle, which was quite inconvenient when going out for the night in Tokyo. The newer APAs I have stayed in have proximity card doors that are much more convenient and slip comfortably into a wallet or pocket.

One of the lifts was out of order so it was quite slow waiting for the lift, particularly in the morning around check-out time when the lift was quite over-crowded and I had to wait a few turns to actually be able to get downstairs.

A final problem was that my "neighbour" for the night was apparently enjoying some young and rather noisy female company... So for quite a long time I put up with lots of giggling and squealing until his companion left. The rooms are not particularly sound-proofed, at least for that kind of activity. Sleep quality was adequate once that noise was gone.

Check-in service is basic and mechanical, but I wasn't expecting anything more at this price. Similarly, the bathrooms are pre-fabricated, small and awkward for a tall non-Japanese person to use, but again I already expected that from APA and this wasn't particularly worse than other business hotels, just a little older than I was expecting.

Despite the location, I doubt I will stay here again. Even to be near this location, I'd prefer to stay a little further away in a newer hotel and not be inconvenienced with the clunky keys.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to APA Hotel Nishi Azabu? Share your experiences!