“Excellent hotel, great services & easy commute” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #16 of 93 hotels in Minato
Bangkok
“Excellent hotel, great services & easy commute”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Celestine Hotel for 4 nights while we were in Tokyo. The hotel is a short walk from Toei Shibakoen Station, as well as Mita Station (exit A10 / A8) which has both Mita Line and Asakusa Line. Hotel staff spoke reasonable English, and were all very helpful. Their breakfast buffet was excellent both in terms of quality and choices!!!

To save some transportation costs, my husband and I bought the 1-way Airport Limousine tickets with Tokyo Metro 1-day Passes (promotional price, about 400-600 yen off the full price). The Airport Limousine dropped us off very conveniently in front of the hotel. (The Airport Limousine tickets alone is 3,000 yen per person, but if you throw in the Tokyo Metro Pass, and but them as a set, it only cost you 3,100 yen per person. There might be a minimum purchase of 2 sets, though.)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed here for five nights while attending a conference at a nearby university. The staff were very helpful and spoke reasonable English. My room was a superior double on the 17th floor, I had a view of the building opposite with a bit of Tokyo between it and the next building. But even that was amazing from the 17th floor. My room was plenty big enough, with table and chairs, TV, huge comfy bed, big bath, and a fair bit of space to unpack into. Reception provided me with an adapter so that I could plug my laptop etc in, and I had free wifi. Breakfast wasn't incredibly good, but it was incredible, for the weird mix of food on offer including salad and pasta dishes. I'm told the Japanese breakfasts were great, I was happy enough with my eggs and toast, and cereal. The bar in the hotel is quiet but really enjoyable, and the Japanese gentleman I met there told me that the bartender is famous. There is a book of cocktails in the bar, and the barman is in the photo on the back. He makes good margaritas, and there is a large whiskey selection which my friends made headway with. As a solo traveler, I had an enjoyable meal in the restaurant on my first night, that's the last time I had western meals as Japanese food turned out to be amazing. The hotel is really well located, because its only a short walk from four different train lines, and in around Mita there are some great little restaurants, including an outstanding Ramen bar which I would direct you to if only it had an English name. I've try to put a photo of it up, and a map, so you could probably find it if you want an adventure. I had the special dipping Ramen, it was just amazing. The next afternoon we went back for Gyoza, and they were the best dumplings I ever hope to have.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
New Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

I stayed at the Celestine Hotel in Tokyo for seven days on a business trip. The hotel is located within the central Tokyo area, and easy access from Narita airport via the Airport Express train to Shinagawa Station and a short taxi ride from there. The hotel is located on the 14th-17th floors of a corporate building, with a spacious lobby, café and restaurant on the ground floor. My room, a twin room, was a corner room on the 14th floor with fine views across to the east, and views of Tokyo harbor as well. The room was really spacious, and the daily care of the room was careful and attentive. It was a lovely room, and one that facilitated work with a spacious desk and good internet service. There is a very nice lounge with an outside smoking and non-smoking zone on the 14th floor as well, providing a relaxed area for coffee, tea, water and biscuits which are available throughout the day and evening. It provides wireless internet as well. The Tavern & Grill Grand Cross, located on the ground floor provided an ample selection for breakfast – with a good selection of western, Japanese and vegetarian options. I thought it was fresh, tasty and enough variety over the seven days of stay. The hotel staff were the essence of courtesy, helpfulness and willing to answer any questions with patience and thoughtfulness. The hotel is just a short walk to both Mita and Shibakoen stations on the Mita line. If you are planning to do considerable travelling around, certainly buy a Suica card (at the airport or at any station). This will allow you to move through the multitude of privately owned train lines with ease, and it will let you know when you need to top it up! Otherwise it is a complex and time consuming process of buying endless tickets, and this can be a hassle when you change lines. For the health conscious, the hotel does not have any fitness facilities at all.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side give nice views and lots of morning sun
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Freeport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

This was my first time staying at this hotel although I've been to Tokyo before. Our Japanese business office is located five minutes away.

The front desk area was always highly staffed with three or four people ready to assist.

My room was on the west side of the building and as others have noted, there was a beautiful view of Mt Fuji in the morning.

By western standards, my "superior double" room was not overly spacious, but the space was well engineered. I not only had a double bed, but a coffee table, small loveseat, small desk, closet and trouser press. The bathroom had tons of counter space, and the tub was large enough for me to have a terrific soak one evening.

There were a total of seven electric outlets in the room including one right by my bed which I used with my CPAP. None of them had the third grounding prong you see in the US.

There is no gym or swimming pool but I did make use of the lounge which as others noted is friendly and inviting. There are drinks for sale in the lounge, but there is no pressure to buy anything, you can just quietly sit and enjoy the area whether inside or out.

The hotel is located within a two minute walk of a subway station and a short cab ride from a few larger stations. I walked to the Tokyo Tower and Zojoji Temple, and each is about a 20 minute walk.

The neighbourhood is quiet where this hotel is located, and we found ourselves walking some distance or taking the subway or a taxi to dinner. There is a restaurant in the hotel (Grand Cross) and we did eat there on our first night. The Grand Cross is a good restaurant, and I can't complain about it, but also it was not spectacular or particularly notable. We were the only guests in the restaurant on the Monday night that we went.

I'll make the Celestine my first choice the next time I'm in Tokyo on business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Spent 3 nights here at the behest of an international conference held at nearby Keio University. Room was fine, but when I saw a much bigger room with a better view than what I had, I was envious. First time I saw that part of the mirror in the bathroom did not fog up after showering- must have electrical cables behind it. The entire hotel is spotless. Buffet breakfast was wonderful, allowing guests to mix and match Japanese with western items. Staff was extremely helpful in every instance. Especially appreciated the complimentary use of umbrellas. Convenient to several subway lines.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the bigger rooms with a view towards the main street.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Bowral, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We spent 3 nights in this hotel. the rooms were spacious enough and very comfortable. the staff were always very polite and helpful. Especially the concierge girl. she went out of her way to direct us with things to do and how to get there. we will certainly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

The location of the hotel is quite convenient for the tourist in Tokyo, though it's geared toward the business traveller. It is located a block away from the Shibakoen metro stop, two blocks to the Mita metro stop, and just a 5 minute further walk to the Tamachi JR (Yamanote) line. The convenience of these three transit options can pretty much get you anywhere within the metro area easily. If arriving from the airport via Narita Express, reserve your seat to get off at Shinagawa, then back-track one stop to Tamachi on the elevated JR Yamanote line (much easier than transfering at the larger, and more confusing, Tokyo station).

The lower half of the building is occoupied by offices so the ground floor is divided into an office entrance lobby and the hotel entrance lobby. For a smallish hotel, the lobby is quite large, with two story windows, a coffee/chocolate shop, and a fully attentive staff available 24/7.

Hotel rooms are located on floors 14-17. 95% of the rooms face the outside, but 8-10 rooms per floor face an interior courtyard. Rooms facing north and south are much larger, but face other buildings and offer obstructed views. Rooms facing east and west are incredibly small, but provide nice city views.

I've been to the hotel twice (2006 and 2011). The first time we had a larger south facing room that was comfortable, but had limited skyline views. Last week we had a west facing room. It is probably one of the tiniest hotel rooms you'll find anywhere, but we were rewarded with two rare mornings where the ever-present haze lifted and we could see Mount Fuji in the distance behind the skyline.

Fortunately, they've done everything they could to maximize the tiny space. We had a queen size bed with two wall mounted end tables (barely enough room for an alarm clock and glass of water), a wall mounted desk/mini-bar/TV stand combination, a small, two-person seat that barely fit between the end table and windows, and a small coffee table that could fit a laptop and magazine side-by-side.

Near the entry door is a built-in closet/dresser that is so narrow that the hanging rod goes toward you instead of parallel to the wall. We had to double (and triple) up clothes on hangers in layer (pants first, then two shirts on top of them). There are similarly narrow drawers next to it (one wastefully taken up by mini-bar candies and snacks).

Although the walkable area of the bathroom was tiny, it did provide lots of counter space and a spacious bath tub. This room provided nice features like a steam-proof section of mirror over the sink and a Toto toilet (the typical Japanese kind with bidet functions and heated seats).

The decorations are contemporary and clean in the rooms and in the common areas.

There is no gym or pool, but the 14th floor does offer a lounge with complimentary water, coffee, and tea all day long, and some outdoor seating in the courtyard. Don't expect views, though...it's an interior courtyard with 4+ floors of hotel rooms completely surrounding it. We did find it a pleasant space to sit at night, though. Even more surprising, we saw stars despite being in one of the brightest and most crowded cities on earth.

The Celestine also has a first floor restaurant called Grand Cross that offers breakfast for about 2,000 yen (currently the equivalent of about $26.00 US). Some room mates include the breakfast and you'll get meal tickets for each morning.

As with the hotel lobby staff, the crew here is very attentive. I must admit I find the food options hilarious. In an attempt to accomodate all nationalities, the buffet stations have the standard eggs, bacon, yogurt, fruit, cereal and toast...but also spaghetti, broccolli, hot dogs, tater tots and a few Japanase items (rice, miso soup, tofu). I remind you...these are items served from 7am - 9:30am for breakfast!

I found $26 a bit steep so I made the most out of breakfast by going closer to 9:30, eating heartily, then having a smaller lunch later on.

The office side of the ground floor also has a restaurant (Itlaian) and, I believe a small Japanese restaurant and a Tully's Coffee Shop.

Again, the staff here are incredibly attentive and friendly. At all times, you will find at least 4 or 5 people in the lobby...often rushing to push the button on the elevator for you. They'll gladly loan you an umbrella if it's looking like rain (which is common in Tokyo).

One funny side story...my husband is allergic to feather pillows so on our third morning he went to the lobby to request a non-feather pillow. That evening we returned to the room to find two new pillows that were hard as a rock. It felt like clay....you'd get the pillow into position then it would never move.

Being the curious type, I inspected further by removing the pillow case and unzipping the pillow. What we found was straw. Not the stuff horses eat, but drinking straws cut into thousands of 1/4 inch pieces.

Anyway, this was my second time at the Celestine and I'd definitely stay there again. My husband has probably been there dozens of times on various business trips, too. Neither of us has had a bad experience. The small east and west facing rooms are definitely more comfortable for one person versus two people, but our west-facing view this time was quite spectacular by day and night (we could see Shinjuku and Mount Fuji). But if you're used to western standard room sizes, you may be more comfortable facing south...especially if you'll be staying for more than a few nights.

Room Tip: For views, get a west (Mount Fuji, Shinjuku) or east (Rainbow Bridge) facing room. For size, get a...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Celestine Hotel? Share your experiences!