“Great Sushi” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sushi Bar Yasuda

Sushi Bar Yasuda
4-2-6 Minamiaoyama | Minamiaoyama426 FloorB1F, Minato 107-0062, Tokyo Prefecture (Akasaka / Roppongi)
+81 3-6447-0232
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Westchester, New York, United States
“Great Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was the best sushi meal during my entire trip, and maybe my entire sushi life. The location is a bit out of the tourist area, but well worth the commute, since the prices are very fair. As noted on other reviews, Chef Yasuda is very friendly and since we were able to give immediate feedback, my family and I got the most incredible combination of sushi. He was able to cater to some of my children's preferences without hindering his assortment. His friendliness made the experience most enjoyable. The personal attention from this acclaimed sushi chef was special. As he states, this is a sushi bar for foreigners. If I lived in Japan, I would go there exclusively for sushi!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“Sublime sushi... but with drawbacks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Let's be clear, the sushi that Yasuda-san serves is fabulous. He will tell you that sushi is a rice culture and the texture and flavour of the rice he serves is beyond comparison. It makes eating sushi a whole new experience. He makes each individual portion and immediately presents it to you, recommending that you eat it straight away. I agree that it is the best sushi I've ever eaten.

So what are the drawbacks? The restaurant is a tiny 8/9 seater bar with a solitary table in the background. Yasuda-san stands at the bar and keeps up a steady dialogue with his diners, which means that you are at the mercy of Yasuda-san and your fellow diners...

Yasuda-san explains that he is an outsider from the traditional Japanese sushi scene, but argues that the traditionalists don't understand that sushi is a rice culture and is not about the fish. The problem is that I heard this explained to me and my fellow diners again and again ad nauseam throughout the evening and you're just stuck listening to this diatribe. Moreover, as Yasuda-san explained, the bar does not attract any local clientele, so all my fellow diners were westerners, several of whom showed a particular fondness for the sound of their own voices.

So what's the verdict? If you want some extraordinarily good sushi then go to Yasuda, but be prepared for some tedious sermonizing from the patron and possibly some boorish interventions from your fellow diners.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Genius sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Yasuda is an amazing genius that hold court in this small location. Be prepared to have a memorable meal of perfect balance. The rice that he employs is like an artists canvas in which he begins to paint his picture. He is charming as he pulls you into his explantion and education of the flavors of how real sushi can achievethe greatest heights in the culinary world. The fish that he buys every morning at the market is beautiful, flavorful and perfect. Real. Geniune. Every creation worthy of praise and repeating. I loved every moment.

London, United Kingdom
“The Sushi Mensh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

A really wonderful dining experience, for so many reasons. Foremost, the sushi is outstanding. The fish quality and the skill of Yasuda is really impressive. The restaurant is very cosy, with no more than 7/8 seats around the sushi bar. I felt like I was at a small theatre where Yasuda and his fish were performing. Yasuda has spent many years practicing his trade in NYC (where he picked up the nickname Sushi Mensh) and speaks English which was a real bonus in a country where not much English is spoken. Yasuda shared knowledge on fish and his philosophy on what he does, which for me added to the experience.

Good luck finding this little underground gem, you won't be disappointed. Make sure to book in advance.

Boca Raton, Florida
“Don't Go Here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you start to go here there won't be anymore room for me to return! I am ruined for sushi now. This is the best sushi experience I have ever had!

I heard about Yasuda from Anthony Bourdain. I was visiting my daughter (a culinary student) in Japan and treated her to an "Omakase" experience at Yasuda. He owned Yasuda in New York for 30 years and has come back to Japan. The restaurant is downstairs, modern and tiny. it has maybe 10 seats at the bar and 1 table behind that can accommodate 4-6 people. We walked in for our reservation and greater with a "Shalom"! I guess my name gave away my religion but Yasuda-san is quite funny and an honorary New Yorker.

Not only will you have the best sushi of your life, each piece is explained as exactly where is comes from. Try the sake - it is from his home town. As well, half of the dinner is a show with Yasuda-san's quick whit and comedy. He is a karate expert so make sure you take a picture with him as he shows off his biceps!

Let him choose the sushi - Omakase style. Spend the money. It's worth the experience!

• Visited February 2014