“Great sushi for those who wants a real sushi” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Den Haag
“Great sushi for those who wants a real sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I live in Tokyo at the moment and I have tasted many sushi (in Japan and in the US). We go here very often and there are always Japanese local clients; many of them are returning customers. You see many foreigners because this is one of the rare sushi restaurants which has a web site in English and it is also featured "Lonely Planet," and English guide book.
If you do not know much about real sushi, you may think this is a pricy place. However a decent "real" sushi does cost you, and far lot more than here (I have gone to many of other places which costed 3 times more)! So under $100 meal at a "real" sushi restaurant is not a rip-off at all!
If you are not ready to spend that much on sushi, I think you should simply go to tknock-off sushi restaurants, the kind that are chains or they serve sushi on a conveyer. But if you want to try a real deal without breaking your bank, then this is a great place to go. You can get the freshest scallop, and mouth watering lightly seared toro, etc.
For those who can handle the real stuff, then I recommend you to sit at the counter and ask the chef for today's catch or recommendation; you can also tell the chef that you prefer certain types of fish or you want to stay away from others. He will serve you what's in season or what they have the best for that day. With a drink of sake and 10 to 12 pieces of sushi, prepare to pay around $80 to $100 depends on what you have. And remember, this is a great deal for a good "real" sushi in Japan!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

94% Recommend
Leeds, UK
“Great sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

We ate here and had the set menu, it wasn't the cheapest 15,000 yen approx 100 gbp but we felt it was worth it.

We sat at the counter and watched the chefs prepare our sushi which was very fresh.

The staff were very attentive and welcoming, we speak no Japanese.

Overall we would go back again.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Not even ordinary sushi, extraordinary prices”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

I travel about 130 days a year and have eaten sushi from San Diego to Shanghai. I don't get what others are talking about here. The Yellowtail was stringy, Scallops were tasteless and Eel was flamed with a gas torch and tasted like petroleum. All for $75 for 6 dishes. Asked if Nigiri shushi was two pieces per order (at average $11.00 per order) and was told yes. Nigiri in this restaurant is one piece per order. Wait service was very good. Seating was immediate as there was only one other couple in the restaurant at 7:00pm.

I had a sushi lunch at Itamae and was satisfied with excellent quality and fast service for $16 including sake. So many people say that Tokyo is expensive. That's only if you fall into the tourist traps.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, California
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We had the set dinner menu with Sashimi, salad, soup and dessert. The food was high quality and the service was wonderful...very attentive.

Visited April 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“I only had one meal in Tokyo...I was satisfied”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

This restaurant is a family owned, fourth generation, established almost 100 years ago (1917) spot that is quirky to get to (behind the hard rock cafe, behind a parking garage) BUT....let me tell you, the food is so damn good...you dont care about the location EVER.

I came solo after reading all the reviews. I was not disappointed in the least. NOT AT ALL. This is real quality food, and the people here are beyond nice. The chefs speak a bit of English, that helps me, but you are also able to point and ask etc...I assume they deal with foreigners alot. There were also tons of Japanese as well. So, it is a popular spot with both the foreign and domestic crowd.

I dont know how the prices compare to other places, because this was the only restaurant I visited.

Do your face a favor...go here!

Also, I didnt know a from b, so I got the tasting menu, and I was not disappointed...below are my notes from dinner...
Fatty tuna amazing

Fancy shmancy Tokyo food.
The salmon was amazing with the warm rice and just slightly taste able wasabi under the salmon between the rice and the fish...why dont they do this in the USA?

Spanish mackerel a bit more of a delicate taste, but definitely very nice

Medium fatty tuna was good, but I think the full fatty tuna takes the cake.

Fourth generation restaurant with fourth generation customers opened in 1917. The only restaurant. Not a chain.

• Visited April 2013