“Great launch pad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hardy Barracks

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Minato
Hardy Barracks
You added Hardy Barracks to your Saves list
7-23-17 Roppongi, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 106-0032 , Japan   |
Ranked #4 of 14 Specialty lodging in Minato
Okinawa, Japan
“Great launch pad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

A perfectly serviceable lodging, close to Nogizaka and Roppongi stations Its a short walk to Roppongi Hills , Tokyo Midtown and The New Sanno. For less than the price of a small japanese businessman's hotel you get a converted BOQ/BEQ suite. A great option if you can't get into the New Sanno.

Room Tip: Book a suite, it's nice and quiet at night.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Springville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

For the location of where this hotel is and the price it costs, you cant even argue with it, definitely well worth it!

The hotel is near the party district of Roppongi, not too far of a walk, and Shibuya, which you can either take a bus to from Roppongi or catch the train from Roppongi. Either way, its a really good location, cant argue with it! There is an ATM machine in the main lobby that dispenses both US dollar and Japanese Yen. I just learned there's complementary breakfast on the 2nd floor from 0700-0930. I don't know how I missed that but it's true.

The room themselves are amazing to me because for the price you pay you figure you're going to be staying in a Motel 6 type place, but no. The rooms are separated into 3 different sections: Master bedroom, bathroom and living room area. The master bedroom is equipped with a queen size bed with good amount of walking room with a big drawer set and tv. The bathroom, in my opinion, is big with a good size shower and Japanese style toilet (you know the ones that spray water to clean you off, amazing!) and the living room area has a couch with mini fridge and a second tv. To my standards this is "fancy" so I'm very happy whenever I stay at this hotel.

Its true, you do need to show military or DOD ID, and you can bring in guests as long as they have proof of ID. If you're a dude, before you go out to Roppongi and decide to bring some random bar girl back to your room, check first if she has an ID. Obviously this isn't on our minds when were trying to get laid but just remember it if you can!

To sum it all up, If you're thinking of staying here for a inexpensive stay in Tokyo, DO IT! The rooms are clean, have all the furnishings, and You're within walking distance of just about anything in that part of Tokyo. Whenever I take leave to japan I will ALWAYS stay at Hardy Barracks, HIGHLY recommended!

Room Tip: Call at least 2-3 months of your travel dates, sometimes the rooms are booked, but just to be on th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburg, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

The New Sanno is booked. The New Sanno is ALWAYS booked. Here is a perfectly serviceable place to stay on the cheap while wandering around Tokyo. The Hardy Barracks are just that, they are converted barracks. In the old days, they were 1+1 meaning two bedrooms with a shared bath. Now they are bedroom on one side, a walk through bathroom and a living room on the other side.

The cost of the taxi ride from the Tokyo train station to the hotel is about 3000 Yen. Make sure you have the Japanese address of the barracks on hand for the taxi driver as many of them are not familiar with it. The front desk carries maps and directions in Japanese on how to get back to the hotel. Get one and keep it on you during your stay. Easier to hand the paper to the driver than struggle with iTranslate or some other app.

There is a fantastic noddle house directly across the street from the barracks. Oh, don't be alarmed, the base (and it is a base) is gated and has armed security. You will need to show proof of ID, usually a CAC card or Military. The front desk can be helpful or useless depending on who is working. I have stayed there a couple of times and really enjoy it. There is a/c in both rooms as well as TV. In the living room area there is a mini fridge and a microwave.

THERE IS NO WIRELESS INTERNET IN THE BUILDING!

I want to say that again, there is no wireless or even wired internet in the building. I happen to have a mobile hotspot from AU so I would be out in the smoking area and make all sorts of friends. It is a little hidden jewel in the middle of Tokyo. It's within walking distance to Roppongi Hills and district. Shinjuku is close by taxi. The train stations are a little bit of a schlep so I prefer taxis. There is a Community Bank ATM in the lobby of the building.

All and all, a perfectly serviceable place to stay while exploring Tokyo. I will post photos later.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Tokyo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Stayed from 15 to 16 June 2012. The property is only available to US Military ID card holders, certain DOD Civilians, and their registered guests. The eligibility rules are very specific, so you should check their website prior to making reservations. Single vehicle / pedestrian gate is manned 24hr/day by armed Japanese security guards, and you must show US Military ID to enter the installation. Registered guests need to be escorted and present picture ID—preferably one that shows their nationality.

GPS coordinates are N35 39.742 E139 43.474. It is approximately a 15 minute walk from Tokyo Midtown and Roppongi. Roppongi is a well-known and popular late night entertainment district for non-Japanese visitors. There are a wide variety of restaurants, bars, and clubs. This was Plan B since a room at the nearby New Sanno Hotel (another MWR hotel) was not available. Originally, Hardy Barracks (HB) was fully booked, but it was recommended that I check back 3 days before my intended stay to check for cancellations.

Our room was a suite for $45/night and an extra $5 for each additional registered guest. There is a maximum of 4 people per suite. Size, design, and furnishings are stereotypical billeting from the 1990’s. Yet, everything was very clean and well maintained. It contained a comfortable queen size bed, night stands, desk, 32” LCD TV. The living room area had a sleeper sofa, recliner, coffee table, another 32” LCD TV, small refrigerator/freezer, microwave, and coffee maker. There was a full bathroom connecting the two rooms. There is no WiFi and the 2 LAN cable outlets were not working.

From 0700 to 0930, a continental breakfast is offered to guests at the 2nd floor lobby. It consisted of bread, bagels, pastries, muffins, coffee, milk, and juice. All of the employees I saw on the property, exchanged e-mails and phone calls with were very friendly and professional.
There is plenty of free parking which is a very valuable commodity in Tokyo. On the first floor, there is an ATM that dispenses US$ and Japanese Yen, and several vending machines. Approximately 200 yards away, there is a small Navy Exchange (NEX) Mini Mart with a large convenience store assortment, and it even sells gasoline. NEX hours are 1000 to 1800, but it is closed on Thursdays and Sundays.

With a couple of exceptions, HB is a very quiet location. We witnessed the landing and departure of a Navy Blackhawk Helicopter at the nearby helipad. Did not hear any street noise, but noises from the other rooms can clearly be heard in the hallways thru the doors (not the walls)—normal talking, TV, and other activities.

Being adjacent to a popular nightlife area, and its relative inexpensive cost, it is very popular with young, single military members on Friday and Saturday nights. That being said, it is my opinion that this property (on weekends) may not be the best for families with children. On Saturday at approximately 0600, I left my room and the couple next door could clearly be heard enjoying each other’s company—squeaky bed, and both of them loudly moaning. I ignored it. Returned about 20 minutes later, it was still going on, and I ignored it again. At about 0700, I exited my room, and at the same time I heard my neighbor’s door open (source of the noises). Normally, I would have just nodded a greeting and walked on, but it was a naked Japanese woman. She did not see me and began to squat in the hallway in front of her door. As I passed by, I asked her if everything was OK. She replied that she was OK, knocked on her door and was let back into her room. In the exact spot she was squatting was a fresh pool of liquid on the carpet, so it is a safe assumption that she was reliving herself.

Could not allow that behavior to continue, so I visited the lobby on the second floor, but the employee must have stepped away. Returned to my room with the intention of calling the front gate guards, but I delayed my call. In my absence, a hand written note had been slipped under my door that said: “Too bad you didn’t enjoy as much. Maybe next time?” That is rather passive aggressive statement. Did not want a confrontation because I was traveling with my wife and her friend.

A couple of hours later, the same couple started up their activities again. By that time, my wife and friend had departed, I called the front desk to report the noises and my hallway encounter, and they replied that they would investigate. Even after the fact, it was important to report because the occupant’s chain of command should be alerted to address the incident. Did not share what I heard or witnessed with my wife and her friend because they enjoyed their stay and nothing would have been gained.

If I believed the woman was in danger or she indicated she needed help when I spoke to her, I would have handled the situation very differently. Going to chalk this up to young people, possibly intoxicated, making bad decisions. Am only sharing this experience because it is very consistent with similar first- hand accounts about HB shared by friends and co-workers. They mentioned encountering intoxicated guests, being disturbed by loud partying, etc.

Hopefully, my hallway experience was an absolute exception, but I will give it a second thought before staying here again with others. If asked about HB, I will just direct the person to read TripAdvisor and recommend asking others for their opinions. Without this experience, I would have rated 5 out of 5.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hardy Barracks? Share your experiences!