“No.1 for location, No.1 for the price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo

Save Saved
You added Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo to your Saves list
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4-10-30 Takanawa, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 108-8611, Japan   |
Ranked #42 of 92 Hotels in Minato
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“No.1 for location, No.1 for the price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2005

The Shinagawa Prince occupies an envious location directly across from JR's huge Shinagawa station. Make no mistake - this hotel is vast, with 3 main room towers, an array of on-site amenities including a cinema, IMAX theatre, Aquarium, Bowling alley, Golf & sports arena, shopping complex...the list goes on. There are also a fine mix of restaurants to suit every taste and culture.

I chose the executive tower for my stay of 3 nights and, as others, found the rooms to be small. But this is a typical Tokyo trend so I was not disappointed. In fact despite it's size it still contained everything you would expect to find in an executive hotel. The bathroom was also small; but both rooms were spotlessly clean, very up to date, functional and with good quality fittings and fixtures.

Breakfast choices? Well, 6 to be exact. I used the Hapuna Restaurant on the ground floor of the New Tower, which was large and buffet style with an excellent combination of East & West cuisines. You can also dine at the Yahoo Cafe in the executive tower - and check your email as you do so!

I asked in advance for a West facing room on a high floor with a view of Mt Fuji if possible. And I wasn't disappointed here - room 3138 (31st floor) had just that and on one of the mornings the view was awesome. You may get lucky with the sunset from this room too as it sets right behind Fuji!

I have to admit I found the Prince to be an outstanding hotel, and for my £83 including breakfast(booked through Asiarooms[-]) well worth the price. Tokyo is naturally expensive anyway, and you can pay much more in this City and be bitterly disappointed.

Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed November 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2005

We stayed here from Nov. 4-7 and then again on the 11th before heading home. The pluses: our room was clean, the bathroom was very nice and we were placed near the elevators in the New Tower. Also, the hotel had onsite shopping, a convenience store open late, and they held our bags for free after we checked out so we could go sightseeing before leaving Tokyo.

The minuses: For some reason, our travel agent had booked us for a twin room. When we asked for a double at check-in, they were unable to accommodate us. I found out later that most of the rooms in the new tower are twin rooms. Normally, this wouldn't bother me except that we were paying $172.00 US per night for a twin room.

We could not adjust the temperature in our room. It was a bit warm and the air-conditioning did not work well.

The Shinagawa location was great during the day, but the whole area was pretty lame at night. Maybe if we had gone to the other side of the station, we would have seen more, but instead we hopped on the Yamanote line and went up to Shibuya for entertainment.

Overall, I was disappointed with what this hotel provided considering the price. Next time, I will spend less and stay in a smaller hotel. In the past, smaller establishments have been more accommodating and can offer more personalized help to international travelers.

NorthEast
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2005

My wife and IS tayed at the Prince Hotel in Shinagawa for 3 nights for 11,500 yen (no breakfast) which I thought was a real bargainf or typical Tokyo prices. We were pleasantly surprised by the ammenities and proximity to the Shinagawa station which is a major station in Tokyo offering Shinkansen, regular JR Lines and subway access. The room was decent, a little outdated but otherwise very clean. I would definately recommend this hotel just for its closeness to the Shinagawa station. We hopped around a lot so access to the Shinkansen was helpful. When you pass the turnstiles for the JR Line or Shinkansen and are in the main corridor, you will see signs that point you towards the exit for the Prince Hotel. Once you're out of the station, you just need to look up and you will see the sign for the hotel. Make sure you get a JR Rail pass if you plan to visit other cities like Kyoto.

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2005

I will start with the most important information. I stayed in the NEW TOWER, in a room with TWO SINGLES.
The view from the room was out of this world! full panoramic window, on the 33rd floor, looking way out over shinagawa station and the new buildings on the other (south) side of it.
the room was good, not luxurious, but clean, simple, nice, and a good size for a tokyo hotel.
the best thing, of course, is the shinagawa area. there is lots to do, it is convenient to everything, and the shinagawa prince has all kinds of stuff just on the premises (bowling alley, movie theater etc)
Definitely go to the other side of shinagawa station and hit some izakayas (japanese pubs) and have some good japanese beer and pub food.

• Stayed August 2005
glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2005

I stayed in the Main Tower of the Shinagawa Prince in April. I chose this hotel because of its proximity to Shinagawa station (convenient for both Shinkansen and JR Yamanote Line) and also because of its swimming pool.

I assumed that the pool would be free to guests, however you have to pay 1000 yen (about £5) each time to hire a towel. The internet cafe was also an attraction but you have to buy at least a cup of tea (500 yen) before you can use it.

The room was small and dark with a small slit of a window. Although it overlooked the station and a busy street, it was quiet. It was my fifth visit to Japan and the smallest room I'd stayed in. It was supposedly on special offer at 9700 yen per night excluding breakfast - more expensive than most of the hotels I've stayed in in Japan. The lack of breakfast is not such a problem as there are several coffee shops in the station where you can buy a 'morning setto.'

The public areas in the hotel are spacious and very nice and the staff are helpful. I would definitely stay in Shinagawa again but not at the Prince.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!