“Good Business Rest ~ No Frills” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo

Save Saved
You added Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo to your Saves list
Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4-10-30 Takanawa, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 108-8611, Japan   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 94 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Good Business Rest ~ No Frills”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I stayed at the Shinagawa Prince twice during my 9 days in Japan. My first room was in the anex that also houses the aquarium and bowling alleys - yes in a hotel! The room was small compared to what I am used to when traveling in the US, but still comfortable. The only internet access is through the cable provided by the hotel. I was actually surprised there was not Wi-Fi available. Take note - you can rent portable Wi-Fi units at the airport for roughly $15.00/day. Well worth it, as I racked up over $300 in data fees whilst tethered to my iPhone. The restaurant in the lobby of the main building serves both a basic Western style breakfast and an Asian breakfast and the other two restaurants served just an Asian style breakfast (this hotel complex appeared to house many tourists from many nations). The hotel is located scross the street from Shinagawa Station where you can catch trains all around Tokyo and also catch the Shinkansen - the bullet train. The proximity to the trains is the main reason my company chose this hotel for we trainees to stay. There is a 7-Eleven just outside of the hotel and there are shops under the anex. There are also restaurants and shops also located within 100 feet of the hotel. The concierge in the main lobby was extremely helpful on a couple of occasions and they all spoke English well (at least the ones I met). I am sure there are much nicer hotels in Tokyo, but this one was affordable, clean, and comfortable. One of the main reasons to stay here is LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION.

Room Tip: Ask for the main building and not the anex. The rooms in the main building seemed nicer and were a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Both myself and my partner and I have been living in Japan for over two months and have loved every minute of our time in Japan. Every hotel we have stayed in has been great, except this one. Do yourself a favor and book somewhere else in Tokyo!

Upon arrival we were told to line up in the wrong cue by the staff, only to be told half an hour later that we were required to go to another building to check in. We were then informed that our room would not be ready for another hour and were asked to take a seat in the lobby. I generally don't mind waiting, but to be told over an hour later to then take our position at the end of the cue was extremely slack! We were then over charged on our rooms, and were told we could not split the bill, only to later be told we could by another staff member.

OTHER NOTABLE MENTIONS:
The rooms are small, even for Japan's standards, and we were staying in one of the nicer rooms.

The hotel staff are unbelievably unhelpful and slow.

Cleaners will ignore your "Please do not disturb" sign and come in anyway.

Don't bother with hotel facilities like the pool, unless you somehow knew to bring your owl goggles and swimming cap (both of which you require to enter the pool) or want to fork out $11 per person per session. (oh and you cant use the pool for three 2-hour blocks per day).

The hotel is built on some sort of entertainment centre, so even in the middle of the week, there are hundreds upon hundreds of people, noisy children and families roaming around the centre and hotel areas.

If you're a westerner or better still, a westerner with tattoos, take this hotel off your list unless, you wish to be treated horribly. As I mentioned, I've been in Japan for 2 months without a single issue with my tattoos, even in more conservative areas, but from the moment I stepped inside the hotel, I felt singled out.

The cafe's attached to the hotel are only slightly over-priced, but be prepared to wait awhile for your food, and for people order after you to be served before you.

Best thing I can say about this hotel is....You can get a bus from it to the Airport?

Room Tip: Don't bother. Book a room at a hotel like Sunroute Plaza, or similar.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Izumo, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed overnight at the hotel in mid July 2013 for my one day working at Tokyo. The hotel is located within 2 minutes walking from Takanawa side entrance of Shinagawa station. It costs 17000 JPY including overnight stay, ammenity goods and buffet style breakfast. My stayed two beds room on the 27th floor in Main tower was small (200 sqf approximately) and clean, bed was comfortable. The hotel has swimming pool, I enjoyed swimming (admission fee was 1100 JPY). We could use free LAN, but could not use free Wifi at my room. I enjoyed yummy japanese breakfast (additional fee of 600 JPY) with beautiful sight from 38th floor. In my collective impression, I can not recommend experienced traveler for staying at the hotel so much.

Room Tip: I don't have any advices.
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great location for 1st time travelers. Nice size rooms for Japan. Very helpful concierge for non-native speakers(English only). As others have stated, across from JR Yamanote, Shinkansen and Narita Express. Has a great aquarium with show and movie theatre. Variety of restaurants & shops. Rooms were in main building but the north tower had just been renovated.

Only negative: We couldn't get wheelchair accessible room & regular room on same floor or close.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed in this hotel twice in month of July at different towers. The East tower comprises of single rooms. The rooms are small (Nothing un-usual for Tokyo) and just enough space for a single person to sleep. I should say that they have placed the furniture and other equipment nicely to oprimize the space. On next visit, i was supposed to stay in same East tower and I was allotted rooms ending in 17. Be careful about these rooms. This room is extra small and does not have space for wardrobe. Considering that the rooms are already small, it makes things very difficult. I requested front end to change the room. Hotel was fully booked. After some discussions, they agreed to re-locate me to "Annex tower" for a nominal extra payment.

Rooms in Annex towers are large (they are double rooms) and Very good. If some one considers staying in this hotel, you can choose annex tower or Main tower.

The hotel offers quite a choice of hotels for breakfast. First time, I dined in Cafe24 located in east tower. Avoid this restaurant. The Luxe restaurant located in main tower is very good. provides a very good spread. I had here breakfast all the days during my 2nd visit.

Location wise, this is located at Heart of Shinagawa with shopping and eating places all around and you cant ask for more. staff service is good

Homosassa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

One of the larger hotel complexes in Tokyo, as there are multiple buildings in the area. Shinagawa Prince hotel is right across the street from the Shinagawa train station, where JR Yamanote, Shinkansen, and Narita Express all stop. Stayed in the Annex. The rooms are decent sized for Japan. Note: There is Ethernet, but not WiFi in the Annex, but for 500 yen ($5) per day, you can get a mini-router that will connect you.
Beds are firm, pillows thin.
Room prices very competitive, so a good value overall. Just had breakfast in the hotel. The continental buffet in 24 Hr. cafe was OK for about $10 and if you like curry for breakfast. Eggs, bacon, etc. pushes the price up to 2200 yen (~ $22). Plenty of restaurants in the area.
Bowling, a aquatic show, theatre, golf (indoor range?) and tennis on site. Go out the front towards Shinagawa station and turn right, then right at first major light, right again after the little Koban (police) station, and you will come back over the hill on a decent 30 minute power walk, complete with steps uphill.
Again, overall a good value both the amenities and location.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Shinagawa Prince Hotel Tokyo? Share your experiences!