“Super location - don't believe the negative reviews” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa

Save Saved
You added Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa to your Saves list
Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3-13-1 Takanawa, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture 108-8612 , Japan   |
Ranked #36 of 92 Hotels in Minato
London, United Kingdom
“Super location - don't believe the negative reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My girlfriend booked this hotel as we were on a tour and it was convenient for the Narita Express and Shingkansen stations. How nice to have a balcony in a City hotel with great views. This hotel isn't a boutique hotel so what can you expect. The bus service to town is great - remember to book the outbound journey as this is not a 'turn up' service. For what we paid we got what we expected, good value for money and very polite and able staff. Great room, disappointing Club Lounge in terms of variety of offering, but what was there was good quality.

Room Tip: We were on the 29 floor in 2923. We didn't get a view of both Tokyo towers. To do that you need...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed in Tokyo recently for 4 days. My travel agent did the booking as I new nothing about where to stay. This is a great hotel. Feels Japanese but very Western. Has lots of facilities, including in-house "7 eleven", 3-4 restaurants, shops, humungous lobby (which is just great for waiting for your tour bus to turn up). Rooms are large, clean, and bathroom has all the necessary bits for westerners. No wifi but there is a free cable in the room.

Staff here are great.

My room had a great view of Mt Fuji (waaaaaay off in the distance - on a clear day of course).

This hotel was close to Shinagawa train station which is on the JR line (bullet train stops here), and its only a few stops from Tokyo station. Everyone seems to know Shinagawa!

All the tour buses seem to stop at this hotel and there are heaps of restaurants (including western) and nice shops nearby.

Only bummer was I could only get Japanese TV, which is no biggie as you shouldn't be spending all your time watching CNN anyway.

Room Tip: If you need a cheap meal in your room, head for the 7 Eleven and get a microwaved Japanese meal and...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

At the price equal to 150 EUR/night for a standard room without breakfast this hotel is on the expensive side by the European standards, but this seems to be the low end for Tokyo. Located next to Shinagawa station, in the Minato-ku southern district of Tokyo it does not give you immediate access to the main Tokyo sightseeing locations (I have chosen the locations for business reasons), but with the Yamanote line you can get virtually anywhere in Tokyo relatively easy. There is Narita express train going from Narita airport to Shinagawa station and then it is about a 10 minute walk uphill to the hotel if you choose the West exit of the station. Altogether, a very easy, non-complicated journey from the airport.

As some of the reviewers already noted, it is not that easy to figure out which of Prince Takanawa hotels you are going to stay in, I was sure I made a booking for Grand Prince Takanawa, but it turned out it was Prince Takanawa New. The receptionist and hostess girl were very helpful nevertheless and accompanied me to the entrance of the New Takanawa hotel though the beautiful Japanese garden, as well as brought my luggage there. The parcel that I sent for myself in advance to the 'old' Takanawa hotel was promptly brought to the New Takanawa and given to me right away at check in even before I asked for it.

Check in was no thrills, and they ask for smoking/non-smoking room preference. The lobby of the hotel is huge and looks like a business center, but inside the room gives an impression of old Japan of the 50s. At least the furniture is in this style, but it does not look dated or too old and everything is perfectly functional. A nice balcony with a view to bamboo garden is a plus. There are yukata sleeping kimonos provided and a tea kettle (that warms up the water and keeps it warm while plugged) and a nice complimentary tea set with green and black teas that they replenish every day. There is a mini-fridge (useful, when you get something to eat for breakfast the night before).The bathroom is small, but everything functions perfectly. There is only cable internet in the room, the speed is quite fast.

The room is clean and they offer an option of skipping the daily cleaning if you wish in return for the bonuses in their spa. It is very quiet on the floor and I heard no noise during neither day or night.

Check out was also no thrills and they kept my bags for extra 5 hours free of charge. On the way to Shinagawa station and next to both exits of the station there are shops, japanese and other restaurants, supermarkets etc. At every floor there are vending machines with water, tea and other soft drinks. Drinking water is provided every day in the kettle.

Altogether it was a very pleasant no-thrills stay and I very much recommend this hotel if you are looking for something in Minato area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We picked the hotel for its location, next to the rail station. That is the ONLY thing we found good about the place. Our room had furniture right out of the 1950's, stains on the carpet, light fixture held together with tape, faded and worn bedspreads, mold in the bathroom, bugs in the light fixtures outside the room. This was not an acceptable room at any price, and it was not inexpensive. Worst of all, when I expressed my dissatisfaction to the hotel in their survey, their response was only to recommend that I come back in the spring after they remodel. They should not be renting these rooms out until they complete the remodel. Maybe the other rooms would be ok, but DO NOT reserve a standard room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Niagara Falls, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights at the beginning of an 8 night first-time holiday to Japan. We chose this hotel because the rooms appeared to be a bit larger than typical sized rooms in Tokyo and we are glad we did.

The "Airport Limousine" bus from Narita dropped us right off at the hotel (3000 yen pp). So convenient! Upon arrival, a friendly female hotel employee whisked our luggage onto a cart while we checked in then escorted us to our room, refusing to take the tip we offered her. We later learned that Japan has a non-tip culture! I think we booked a "deluxe king" on Expedia but when we checked in, the front desk staff informed us they had upgraded us to superior on the 15th floor which is the "Club floor" but without the club privileges.

The room was a comfortable size (considerably larger than the Sunroute Plaza Shinjuku Hotel we stayed at our last night which is small but less expensive which I would also recommend - see separate review). The room had two chairs, a safe and a little balcony which was really nice to step out onto for fresh air and take in the view of Tokyo and the gardens below. We even tended to leave our balcony door open while in the room for fresh air. A tea and coffee station were provided, along with a stocked fridge of beer/cold drinks (for a cost of course) which allowed enough room for us to put a few things into. His and her PJ's were provided! The bed and pillows were sooooo comfortable with nice crisp white linens/comfy duvet. The bathroom provided an abundance of complimentary amenities and the shower was awesome!

This is a great hotel to make as a "home base" while travelling in Tokyo. Nearby Shinagawa train station is an easy 5 minute walk and is a hub where you can take a train to virtually anywhere in Tokyo from. I wouldn't be concerned by some of the comments made on TA about "the hill". I had injured my knee prior to our holiday, and although it was bothering me, I had no problem walking to and from the station. Likewise, I would disregard any complaints people have made about the large convention centre like lobby in the hotel. It's fine.

We never dined at the restaurants in the hotel but instead ate at a number of places in and around the large shopping mall across the street from the train station which we liked. (There are also a lot of restaurants on route from the hotel to the station including an Outback Steakhouse!). We frequented the little supermarket at the train station to purchase yogurt, fruit and cold drinks for breakfast and beer and wine for our room. There are tons of shops in the train station including an amazing french pastry shop (Anderson's?) which has pastries to die for!

Upon checkout, we took the free hotel shuttle to the station with all our luggage to continue on with our travels. If you were leaving the Prince to return directly to Narita, the hotel would make a reservation for you on the Airport Limousine bus. Departure times are posted in the lobby.

I would highly recommend this hotel and if I were to return to Tokyo, would definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor, 15 or 16 if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
scarborough, qld
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Position was great as very close to major train station, and close to shops, restaurants etc. We had twin non-smoking room and found we had plenty of room and were very happy with everything. Complimentary shuttle to station was good when we had suitcases, but otherwise we didnt bother with it. We didnt find noise a problem, so obviously it wasnt.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for NON SMOKING .
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Gloucestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Its a 10 minute walk uphill from Shinagawa Station, but the location is excellent and the Japanese garden is an oasis in the concrete jungle. The refurbished Superior Room is a good size and comfortable, though not luxurious. The bathroom is rather small and the shower equipment dated. This is a Japanese hotel so don't expect international standards, but service is good and Wifi is available in the room on request at a very reasonable cost. The lobby is rather cavernous - more like a transit lounge - and lacks atmospher and the restaurants are better in the neighbouring Grand Prince Takanawa. With PCI membership the rates are reasonable and price to performance ratio is high. This is now my hotel of choice for visits to Tokyo.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a garden view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa? Share your experiences!