“Simply very Japanese local style one...not caring about IHG standards..” 1 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay

You added InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay to your Saves list
InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1-16-2 Kaigan, Minato 105-8576, Tokyo Prefecture (Odaiba / Shiodome / Shinbashi)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #14 of 98 Hotels / Ryokan in Minato
Seoul, South Korea
“Simply very Japanese local style one...not caring about IHG standards..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Simply speaking, I could not understand why this hotel claims it is an international brand hotel.
Most of staff in this hotel seemed not understand English fully while the hotel camouflaging itself as a part of international hotel group.

Please mind not to stay in this hotel during weekends. This hotel seems to be famous for local wedding services. The lobby was filled with the wedding guests for the with noises. Also, the wedding convention guests easily conquer four hotel elevators unfortunately designed to share for all conventions and hotel guest rooms. Never experinced this long waiting time in the elevatory hall in other international hotels.

This hotel commands a very nice bay and a big bridge (which looks like Golden Gate bridge in SFC) views. That's the only pros I found for this hotel. This hotel is not in the romantic bay view area. The surroundings are very non-romantic only seen box style office buildings and with only two convenient stores. Many reviewers seened to have mixed opinions about the location value of the hotel. Location itself is more for office leasing than for hotel operation..

Furthermore, a lady at the front desk yesterday acted very strangly and made me question about the IHG's true efforts to keepi the standards of staff quality.

(My case) The front desk staff and I had mis-communication (I guess.. she could not understand English well..) for changing rooms from a smoking to a non-smoking room. She insisted that I preferred a smoking room... I said, "No... You might be misunderstood". I added that I could wait more until another non-smoking room was ready if there was some miscommunication between us. Suddenly, she threw the pen, room keys and tore my earlier registration sheet with a big noise just in front of me. I was too embrassed to say any words. Yes. miscommunication can happen.. However, this is not what we do not expect from the staff of IHG brand hotels. Like other frequent reviewers I have stayed at many hotels around the world including Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto and never been treated like this.
The worst thing to me was that it just happeded at the very first day of my vacation in Japan.

Recommend for Japanese travelers outside Tokyo area who has strong interests in Odaiba recreation facilities. STRONGLY NOT RECOMMEND FOR ANY NON-JAPANESE TRAVELERS, especailly for travelers who cannot have space to endure poor English speaking staff in the so-called 4 or 4.5 star international brand hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Scythian33,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. We have sent you a private message addressing your concerns. We value your feedback as this is our best resource in improving our guest services. We hope you give us another opportunity and allow us to redeem your faith in our products and services.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Staying there since three years,very expensive, chef live kitchen is good experience.
Inspite of my request of early check in,and being priority club gold member,waited almost two hours to get the room
Staff is helpful . No much issues. Will stay again

• Stayed July 2014
Honolulu
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

The hotel staff without exception try very hard to provide a quality service, at times overpowering other times very helpful.

Standard room was excellent, view over river rather than bridge no problem.

Room facilities good, bed large and comfortable.

Expected better quality food but biggest problem is that not all restaurants are open in an evening even though the published times say their last orders are 9pm.

Returned from a day trip to Mt. Fuji, tried to eat at any of the dining rooms at 8.30pm - was offered room service. Did eventually allow us to have a table in Italian restaurant eating from a different restaurant menu.

Also you can't buy cake from the wonderful display of cakes and eat them with a coffee in the lounge. Has to be formal in the lounge.!!

Location ok but as it is the business district maybe limited in local facilities.

Stayed July 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Dear Inths,

Ferdinand G
Case Manager
IHGCare
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had a 3 night stay at this hotel as part of a pre-cruise package. Our room was very clean and comfortable with a lovely large bathroom with tub and walk in shower. Excellent supply of toiletries. Would have liked a view of the rainbow bridge but we were unlucky on this occasion. Great sound proofing we were never disturbed by any noise. Room service very efficient and reasonable although not a great choice. Location although not brilliant they do offer a free shuttle bus to the station and the monorail is located exceptionally close with a walkway direct to the hotel. Staff very polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Request a room with view of rainbow bridge
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

We took the Narita Express to Tokyo train station and used the JR Yamanote line to Hamamatsucho station. The hotel is about a 5-7 minute walk from JR Hamamatsucho station. It is by the bay on a quiet street. There is a Family mart quite close to the hotel. My room had a beautiful view of the bay and was quite large - as was the bathroom. The staff was courteous and efficient. We used the concierge to make reservations on the Airport Limo. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

LOCATION
Is next to the monorail, which is convenient. The neighborhood has nothing, is very quiet, so you'll have to do some traveling to get something to eat. There is a convenience store in the build next door, which is, well, convenient.

SERVICE
Staff is polite, which isn't really a compliment because everyone in Japan is polite.
I tried to check in at noon, and I was told there would be an early check in charge. So I had to come back at a later hour.
I bypassed the line and went to the Ambassador check in counter, which always makes me feel uncomfortable, but this time even more so because the lady behind the counter gave me a "what the heck is this guy doing" look, and seemed only reluctantly to check me in. Why even have these carpeted Ambassador counter areas? Just for show?

FOOD
Among all the Intercontinentals I've stayed at, this one had the worst breakfast. The selection was extremely poor (compared to other ICs). Japanese breakfast was very limited. Their vegetable miso soup is awful. The western breakfast is just eggs, bacon and terrible cheap sausages. At the omelet station, the cook forgot to put in the vegetables and cheese. When I pointed that out, he just took it back and sprinkled the veggies and cheese on top of my finished omelet. Cmon dude.

ROOMS
Rooms are very nice, the bathrooms even nicer; well decorated and stocked with amenities. The view is good, but with the sun shining in, the rooms can get quite hot. The bed was very comfortable. I had an infant traveling with me, and the roll away crib they provided was a high-quality wooden one with fresh linens, unlike the crappy metal ones given at other hotels.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

A Japanese gem. Until now our preferred hotels were Ballagio (Vegas) or Ritz.
Now this hotel is the best. We had the best view from any hotel of the 400 cities we've visited.
The service was amazing. I was bowed to five times before breakfast!
The shuttle takes you to an excellent and very easy to use subway system. Get the Day pass
it's about £4.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view over the bay towards the "Skytree"
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Minato
ANA InterContinental Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
Conrad Tokyo
#1 of 98 in Minato
4.5 of 5 stars 1,782 reviews

Been to InterContinental Hotel Tokyo Bay? Share your experiences!