“My favorite place for pizza in Tokyo” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pizzakaya Roppongi

Pizzakaya Roppongi
3-1-19 Nishiazabu, Minato, Tokyo Prefecture (Akasaka / Roppongi)
+81 3-3479-8383
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 6,935 Restaurants in Minato
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Akasaka / Roppongi
Tokyo, Japan
“My favorite place for pizza in Tokyo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We moved to Tokyo from the US in September 2011. I was looking for somewhere to eat just a couple days after arriving and found that the only menu written in English available to me was Pizzakaya. Since that first visit, we have been back time and again. My husband and I usually split a large pizza but he likes the Big Russell (all meat) and I prefer the Gourmet combo, which incorporates some vegetables.

I've tried the Hell's Sausage meatballs. Be warned: they are very spicy. Coming from Louisiana, I LOVE spicy food, but this may be the spiciest thing I've ever tried. I'm not sure what a previous reviewer means when they say appetizers are mostly over 1000 each. If he is speaking in terms of yen, that's incorrect. The prices on the appetizers are very reasonable, ranging from 680 yen for the Hell's Sausage meatballs (approx $8.50 USD) to 950 yen ($12) for Buffalo wings. Overall, I find their prices quite reasonable and they have the best point card deal in town. After you get stamps for purchasing 6 medium pizzas, you earn a free medium pizza. But you continue using the same card, and when you get to 10 medium (or 5 large) pizzas purchased, you earn a free large pizza.

Even though we have been to Pizzakaya often, I have never even thought about trying dessert there because I have always been too full to think about eating more after the pizza. But on a recent visit, I noticed they had lemon blueberry cheesecake so I got a piece to go. Not only was it absolutely delicious, the portion was enormous and unsurpassed in Tokyo, home of tiny portions (by American standards). Last week they had carrot cake and it was just as wonderful as the lemon blueberry cheesecake. You can bet I'll be getting dessert every time from here on out.

Another thing that we like about Pizzakaya is how they always have American movies in the dining room. On a recent visit, we saw Mr. Mom.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“A good change of pace while living in Japan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

A lot better than the Japanese pizza. The salad dressings are epic and the service is good and inclined to your every request.
On top of that they usually have 4 craft beers on tap for an interesting hoppy experience.
I'm sure to come back when I visit again when I go to Japan

Seattle
“Oasis in an overwhelming city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We chose this place based on two factors: we needed a place for dinner close to Mori Tower, and wanted some guaranteed veggie options. We'd been in Tokyo for several days and had been trying to eat only local Japanese food, but for a vegetarian who speaks little Japanese it's hard work. We were ready big-time to relax and eat something comforting and familiar, and were very happy with what we found here. The pizza was really tasty and a perfect size for two hungry Americans. We blew some major coin on a pitcher of Rogue Dead Guy Ale but it was worth it. Everyone here was friendly and the food arrived very quickly. I left full, which is a feeling I hadn't had in three days. I'd recommend for anyone needing a good old American pizza fix or wanting to feel at home for an hour before venturing out into the unfamiliar again.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, Japan
“Comfort food for Americans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

I had a great time at this little joint. For an Australian it really is like being on holiday in the US. It's the booth seating (crammed with expats,) the California beers, creative fair on the pizza menu (Sante Fe and Taco pizza) and the continuous screening of classic movies on a big tv on the wall. Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back was a nostalgic distraction while I enjoyed a pint of Green Flash Imperial IPA, although at 9.4 alc one is enough! Local expats love this place - it does have the 'cheers' mentality.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,112 helpful votes
“Great pizza”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Trying to satisfy a pizza craving in Tokyo is just as difficult as you would expect!! However the pizza at pizzakaya was delicious! It's easy to find in Rappongi and the website has some good directions from the tube station which we used.
After seeing the size of the pizza, we ordered a large Big Russell to share between 2 of us and we still ended up taking 3 slices home. The menu has a good choice of starters salads and pizza, all very much on the theme of an American pizzeria.
There are a few choices of beer...not cheap but a very nice selection.
My only slight surprise was the price. For 1 pizza and 2 beers it came to 5600yen (circa £45) but this wouldnt stop me going back as it was a great pizza

• Visited September 2012