“Not really a good choice” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Continental
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Reservations
Tokyo, Japan
“Not really a good choice”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Leaving the questionable interior design by side, the service was really of poor quality - considering central Tokyo. We booked a separate room for more than 10 people, but the waitress was grumpy and very slow. You can bear bad service, if the food is good. The steaks however, were not really so tasty, too thick and hard to cut (or the knife was dull). Salad bar and desserts are fine, but not excellent. All considered, the place is not worth the price.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Kaneohe, HI
“The Best Prime Rib in the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

I've been a patron at various Lawry's the Prime Rib, from when I was very young and visited the first such location in Beverly Hills, California. Since then I've enjoyed this great meal in Las Vegas, Osaka and Tokyo. And I just have to say that, as someone who only mildly enjoys Prime Rib, these restaurants have the very best and most delicious prime rib in the world!

The restaurants used to have prime rib exclusively, but now they've expanded to include steaks, chicken, and other things, but it's extremely obvious that prime rib is THE meal to have here. It's always pretty much the same, no matter in which of the restaurants you enjoy it. First you have a "spinning salad," tossed in a bowl over another bowl of ice, so it can spin while the dressing is drizzled over it. After that, a huge carving cart comes rolling over, and on this cart you have several different huge roasts of prime rib. You then select the temperature of the roast you want as well as the thickness. A very elegantly clad carver then slices your rib for you, and adds a healthy dollop of almost sinfully delicious gravy, also adding great mashed potatoes. Then you're given a great Yorkshire pudding, which is basically eggs, milk and flour all mixed up and baked in prime rib juices. You can also add veggies for an extra payment, but I'm just as happy as a clam with my "basic" meal. Oh, did I say that the taste is just fabulous??? Well it is, and you just sit there moaning and groaning over how wonderful each bite is as it hits your mouth.

There are, as I said, other things on the menu, but when I go to Lawry's all I ever want is that sensational prime rib. There are also desserts, but I have enough trouble just getting through that huge slab of meat. There are several different thicknesses to the meat, all at different rates, and I prefer just the basic "Lawry cut." I never have tried the "Diamond Jim Brady" cut, because I think just that one slab could last me a week!

Anyway, every time I visit one of the cities where Lawry's is located I make a beeline to eat there. Now all we need is for them to open one where I live (Hawaii).

My heartiest recommendation!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Tokyo
“Always great to be back.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Nice, romantic-type of setting but the past 1-2 years, we have seen an increase in family and more than 3 friends in a table. Lots of birthday-celebration also. We suppose it is because of the birthday voucher that they have been giving out over the years. Free bIrthday cake will be presented with special song as they brought it out. Baby-friendly also.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“With all the wagyu joints and steak restaurants in Tokyo, you have to walk into this one? The last stop on the no...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2008

With all the wagyu joints and steak restaurants in Tokyo, you have to walk into this one? The last stop on the no culture, get me back to North American meat express. Great only if you're jonesing for that dark 3-hour burbon American steak house lunch/dinner feeling. Otherwise check out Beacon or Porterhouse or Jojoen or Toraji or any of the teppan places in the area.

Tokyo, Japan
“Good for what it is....but why? A bit stuffy and pretentious, too dark, but good American-style prime rib.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008